Should an 11-year old girl have to carry her rapist's baby? Ohio says yes!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/eric-zorn/ct-perspec-zorn-abortion-rape-heartbeat-ohio-child-argentina-20190509-story.html

An 11-year-old rape victim in northwestern Ohio is pregnant, according to news reports, and a highly restrictive state law on abortion signed last month says a girl in her position must carry and deliver her rapist’s baby.

A barely pubescent girl has been impregnated, allegedly, by a 26-year-old man who had sex with her on multiple occasions, and the pure anti-abortion position is that the law should prevent her from terminating her pregnancy unless it’s to save her life or spare her grave bodily harm.

Ohio’s Human Rights Protection Act, signed April 11 by Republican Gov. Mike DeWine, is one of those “heartbeat” laws that ban abortion as soon as doctors can detect fetal cardiac activity, which starts at about six weeks of gestation, even before some women know they’re pregnant.

Ohio’s new law doesn’t grant exceptions for rape and incest — exceptions favored by more than 70 percent of the population in numerous polls. And although local news outlets haven’t reported the estimated duration of this particular rape victim’s pregnancy, inevitably girls in her position will be legally compelled to endure the physical and emotional burdens of pregnancy and childbirth.

And this isn't enough. A follow-up bill plans to ban birth control:

When hardliners try to keep on the high ground, the results are disturbing.

A follow-up anti-abortion bill in the legislative hopper in Ohio would, among other things, ban "drugs or devices used to prevent the implantation of a fertilized ovum,” which includes several popular forms of birth control.

The Alabama legislature on Thursday tabled until next week the consideration of a proposal to make the performing of an abortion a felony punishable by as many as 99 years in prison unless it is to prevent serious health risks to the mother.

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

In this one, I think the sponsor basically says "I'm no fancy medical doctor, but I think the drug companies can figure something like this out"

And my family wonders why I won't move back to the Midwest or further South

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're seeing these preposterous abortion laws getting passed because they want lawsuits to get filed so that SCOTUS will have cases to take for overturning Roe v. Wade.

Alabama Lt. Governor Admits State Abortion Ban Is Direct Attempt To End Roe v. Wade

Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth also gave credit to President Trump for adding conservative judges who could make the path to overturning the landmark ruling easier.