Crackdown 3 - Information Thread, update: multiple reviews posted (OpenCritic average - 62%)

Commissar SFLUFAN

The more ive played the more its grown on me.  I'm much more comfortable with the controls now, and as you get to higher level Agility it really starts to shine.  

I'ts just good mindless fun.  When the music kicks in too, and some of the action picks up, its just feels really good to jump around, zooming around, nailing shots, or blowing shit up.  

I play on Legendary and its a good challenge at parts.  I wasnt really pumped for this at all but I'm glad I gave it go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the verticallity is impressive and hunting orbs is still a good distraction.

The combat is more annoying than anything.

Really? I've been enjoying the combat. Lots of beam weapons and MIRV style heavy guns. Fun to blow things up, and I'm on legendary, where combat would theoretically be most annoying. You just fucking wreck everything.

I'm partial to the weapons that add burning or poison, good stuff.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Really? I've been enjoying the combat. Lots of beam weapons and MIRV style heavy guns. Fun to blow things up, and I'm on legendary, where combat would theoretically be most annoying. You just fucking wreck everything.

I'm partial to the weapons that add burning or poison, good stuff.

I'm also on legendary. Yes burning and poison weapons are good, in fact one of the best ways to kill a human. However, poison grenade is the best, the poison beam weapon sucks and you have to stand there for like 10 seconds for the beam to deplete their life. It's most efficient to just run up and shoot their face with a shotgun which knocks them down so then you just hit and shoot them while they are down and then even that takes a long time. Then they do a resident evil zombie thing when you think they're dead they rise up again.

Pretty sure I found a bug where if you're locking on to someone and then  you run into something that's climbable it will automatically climb it then you can no longer lock on to your target. I died like 3 times in a row because this happened.

In any case these enemies are the definition of bullet sponges, they take forever to kill, aren't very smart so they just get in the way and it's not fun to kill them.

Most of the weapons, including the beam ones, tend to do more damage up close, so you should probably be getting close regardless of what you're using. My favorite so far is definitely the MIRV one. They ain't damage sponging that shit. It just rains down hell.

Also there's a sniper-ish one, omni rifle I think? Using that and targeting heads has been a one-shot on everything human so far.

33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You guys are playing on Legendary,  huh? I'm playing on the difficulty under that... should I just bump it up for more challenge?

It's not much more of a challenge. You just take more damage. So you'll have to disengage  from battle and wait for your shields to recharge then come back in and rinse and repeat. :p

6 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Am I the only one not playing as Terry Crews? 

I am not. I am playing as some female agent who’s DNA I found. Can’t remember her name right now. I switched from Terry right after the tutorial/intro boss. 

They all feel pretty much the same to me. Jus different voices when they randomly say something. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I am not. I am playing as some female agent who’s DNA I found. Can’t remember her name right now. I switched from Terry right after the tutorial/intro boss. 

They all feel pretty much the same to me. Jus different voices when they randomly say something. 

Yeah there's no reason not to be Terry Crews other some minimal stat gain for an attribute.

The most disappointing launch of the week belongs to Microsoft's Crackdown 3, which only made No.13. The game's launch sales are barely 10 per cent of what Crackdown 2 managed in 2010. Of course, the industry was very different back then. Xbox 360 was the market leading console, digital sales were not as significant as they are today (again, only physical is counted here) and Crackdown 3 will likely have picked up a fair few users via the Xbox Game Pass subscription service (which isn't included here).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-17-uk-charts-far-cry-new-dawn-is-no-1-but-metro-exodus-is-the-real-winner

We'll see how it does elsewhere.  But sounds like many people are treating it like a $2 rental.

Concerning Phil's statements on Game Pass games leading to higher retail sales, it could be that:

1. The UK is an exception.
2. There is some kind of barometer that Crackdown 3 failed to reach, but State of Decay 2 and Sea of Theives did.

3. Games Pass is more popular now than before, and the narrative of it helping sales couldn't last forever.
4. Microsoft's deep subscription discounts are cannibalizing retail sales.
5. Digital sales are actually way higher for this game than expected.

38 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-17-uk-charts-far-cry-new-dawn-is-no-1-but-metro-exodus-is-the-real-winner

We'll see how it does elsewhere.  But sounds like many people are treating it like a $2 rental.

Concerning Phil's statements on Game Pass games leading to higher retail sales, it could be that:

1. The UK is an exception.
2. There is some kind of barometer that Crackdown 3 failed to reach, but State of Decay 2 and Sea of Theives did.

3. Games Pass is more popular now than before, and the narrative of it helping sales couldn't last forever.
4. Microsoft's deep subscription discounts are cannibalizing retail sales.
5. Digital sales are actually way higher for this game than expected.

From sales analyst and insider ZhugeEx:

"Fun fact:

If you combine the opening sales of this weeks new games, which are Far Cry New Dawn, Metro Exodus, Jump Force and Crackdown 3, the total is less than half of what Crash Bandicoot Trilogy sold in its first week on PS4. (Packaged sales comp)"

No real reason for the crash comparison besides just being a fun comparison.

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm sure the majority are playing it on gamepass so Microsoft gets the money regardless.

Buying the $60 physical release of this game seems ill advised. :p

I'm enjoying it but this is not a game I'd pay full price for.

Resorting to $2 Gamespass subscriptions to generate some revenue with this game sounds more like cutting their losses.  Even that's debatable - it's possible it could have salvaged more in a scenario where the subscription pass didn't exist.

I think Microsoft is sacrificing this game on the altar of Games Pass.  The interest and subscription metrics they see is from it is probably more important to them than "the money" at this point.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Resorting to $2 Gamespass subscriptions to generate some revenue with this game sounds more like cutting their losses.  Even that's debatable - it's possible it could have salvaged more in a scenario where the subscription pass didn't exist.

I think Microsoft is sacrificing this game on the altar of Games Pass.  The interest and subscription metrics they see is from it is probably more important to them than "the money" at this point.

Confused by this?

Every single MS game is on Game Pass on launch.  Forza Horizon 4 which is one of the best racers out here was on Game Pass Day 1.  It's not like Crackdown was put on there just cause they think it wont sell?

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Confused by this?

Every single MS game is on Game Pass on launch.  Forza Horizon 4 which is one of the best racers out here was on Game Pass Day 1.  It's not like Crackdown was put on there just cause they think it wont sell?

Of course not.  This is Microsoft's strategy at large now.

But I don't think they would have sold it at $60 if Games Pass wasn't a thing.  If ReCore launched at $40, this could have been priced there as well.
... The $2 vs $60 difference was intentional.  So are ads like this:

At some point, I think Microsoft resigned the idea of Crackdown 3 being a big box success.  Retail sales of this game clearly aren't a priority.

3 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

It is funny how when the game was frist talked about its first 3 years or so it was all about destrucable enviroments and the power of the cloud. The version we got has none of that.

It all went into wrecking zone, the multiplayer. 

They killed the idea of destructible environments for SP pretty early after it’s announcement. 

But then the MP visuals took a huge hit. 

Damn this game is getting a lot of hate. I even see people calling it unacceptable. Fuck it's not broken. It's not unplayable. I would argue it's not even not fun, as many others are attesting to. It's a decent mindless action game where you don't have to think about anything or whip out some guide while you play. It's not a great game either, or worth $60. It's not the prettiest game around. It's a thoroughly mediocre game that manages to be fun for a few hours much the same way a stupid action movie can be fun if you stop thinking about it and trying to compare it to some Oscar worthy drama. Sure, MS would have liked for this to be a big win and it's not, but there are far worse games you could be playing.

Shit, I'd even argue this game is more fun than RDR2, and that game got near perfect 10's everywhere. Sure it's not nearly as polished or detailed, but the main controls work without being janky and it's basic gameplay loop many find to be fun. People bend over backward to excuse RDR2 controlling like complete shit just because whatever you can manage to get Arthur to actually do is animated well.