Crackdown 3 - Information Thread, update: multiple reviews posted (OpenCritic average - 62%)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Game Informer

It’s hard to say whether Crackdown’s comforting familiarity will sustain over an entire game or just a short burst of time. It will depend not just on the structure, but the variety of mission objectives within that structure. Crackdown 3 has a lot to prove, but if its best quality is feeling like a newer, tighter version of the Xbox 360 original, then that might not be the worst thing.

Once vaunted as a gaming revolution, Crackdown 3 is another open-world shooter (Polygon)

After playing Crackdown 3 for a couple of hours, I come away feeling vaguely underwhelmed. It’s not that Microsoft’s open-world shooter is unenjoyable, or bad. It’s sorta fun. But it doesn’t feel like a creatively daring AAA exclusive. It feels like a compromise.

Crackdown 3, Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Cloud (Gamespot)

Now that I've played Crackdown 3 for a few hours it's easy to identify similarities to the 2007 original, but rather than the campaign stealing the show, it's the competitive multiplayer component that will be my reason for paying attention to Crackdown 3 at launch.

Cloud-powered action thrives on Xbox One, yet Crackdown 3 is struggling to gain traction (Windows Central)

Crackdown 3 is shaping to be a faithful follow-up to its predecessors, retaining much of the franchise's prior successes. Returning fans should find enjoyment, though it's not poised to solve Microsoft's ongoing first-party woes.

Crackdown 3: Part Science Experiment, Part Video Game (IGN)

The cloud finally comes to life, but in practice, it doesn’t seem to help make Crackdown 3 a great multiplayer game.

Crackdown 3 Preview: Xbox Needs More Exclusive Games Like This (ScreenRant)

The Xbox One doesn't lack powerful, brooding titles. That's also not something that will set it apart. Exclusives need to set themselves apart, to offer something that other titles don't or can't. Crackdown 3 might not end up being one of the best games ever made, but that's okay. It's a great exclusive that presents a compelling reason to own an Xbox One, and that's exactly what Microsoft needs right now.

Crackdown 3's campaign is good old-fashioned mayhem (PC Gamer)

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the multiplayer.

Crackdown 3 Hands-On Preview – Breaking Buildings, Not Ground

I’m sure many Crackdown fans are hugely excited for Crackdown 3. After all, it’s been a while in the making’ beside the delays, it’s been nine years since Crackdown 2. According to the team at Microsoft Studios, it promises to be a “true Crackdown experience,” which I’m sure takes someone’s fancy. However, based on the slice of the game I recently had the opportunity to play, I’m sorry to say I won’t be amongst those eagerly anticipating its release.

Crackdown 3 lets you take on the final boss at Level 1, Breath of the Wild style (GamesRadar)

Four years later, Crackdown 3’s multiplayer Wrecking Zone is a shadow of its former self (VG247)

Wrecking Zone is a fun mode, however, and it feels like a perfect competitive multiplayer fit for the gleefully over-the-top, super-powered Crackdown universe. I liked it a great deal, as I did Crackdown 3 in general – though it’s a neutered delivery of the promises made far too early in this console generation when, for a moment, it looked like it could be something truly revolutionary.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like there are oddly high expectations that people are placing on this game's shoulders. Why? The first game was fun, the second was, uh, definitely released upon the public. Its not like the series has a high pedigree and yet people keep referring to it like some comeback story where it needs to clear all of these imagined hurdles to be worthy of your time. Its going to let you blow shit up in a chaotic environments! it will be cheesy, have more neon than it needs, and a plot you can drop a crumbling building through! The only thing I want to know is, is it fun? 

edit: yeah, I know MS hyped the power of the cloud with this game, but come on, we all knew that was silly right?! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It sounds like there are oddly high expectations that people are placing on this game's shoulders. Why? The first game was fun, the second was, uh, definitely released upon the public. Its not like the series has a high pedigree and yet people keep referring to it like some comeback story where it needs to clear all of these imagined hurdles to be worthy of your time. Its going to let you blow shit up in a chaotic environments! it will be cheesy, have more neon than it needs, and a plot you can drop a crumbling building through! The only thing I want to know is, is it fun? 

The original Crackdown was a great game for it's time.  If you remember the only reason it sold so well was because it was the only way into the Halo beta.

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

The original Crackdown was a great game for it's time.  If you remember the only reason it sold so well was because it was the only way into the Halo beta.

Yup, sure was! I just can't see why people are leveling expectations usually reserved for a Halo tier game at a game like Crackdown. Its a fun, popcorn, summer blockbuster experience after all. 

• Like 1

Yup, what I expected.  The 1st game was so amazing cause it offered something new at the time, for me at least.  The superhuman feeling of jumping as high as buildings and progressively building up your character.  Now there are so many games that do that, that it'll be hard to really get that same feeling of awe.  

Still plan to play it, especially if it has fun co-op.  

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

edit: yeah, I know MS hyped the power of the cloud with this game, but come on, we all knew that was silly right?! 

On the contrary, I've had low expectations for a long time. The best we could hope for is it's more like 1 than 2. From the footage I've seen it's like they made the game in a vacuum ignoring what most open world games look like these days. I mean it would be nice if they could be using 2019 standards instead of 2010 standards. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You're a very generous man. This is a hold out for $10 or less kind of game.

Why don't you guys have game pass?  On sale at various times you can get a year of it for like $70 which is just a little more than one new game and you get tons of content for that price.

4 hours ago, number305 said:

Yeah, 305, it really looked like at some points that this was either going to be vapor ware or run of the rails.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I have gamepass. But having gamepass doesn't make a bad game a good game.

But it does mean you don't have to wait for any price drops. 

Also none of these reviews say it is a bad game. Just that it hasn't changed much from crackdown 1.  To me a good game pass game is anything that gives me a few hours of entertainment. 

I would not buy this game if I didn't have gp either.... Cheers. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You don't need Gold for Game Pass?

Nope.  You can be Game Pass only.  Have not had Gold in a couple of years actually.  Game Pass and XBL Gold are two separate services.  Obviously, if the game you've pulled off Game Pass has an online component, then yes, Gold would be needed for that.  I plan to just dick around with SP for a few hours and move on.

3 hours ago, AndyD said:

It jumped the shark the moment they decided to have Terry Crews promote the game - not that I don't like Crews...just that they needed to resort to getting a celebrity to get some attention

Well he's a character in the game so it would only be right for him to promote the game as well.

11 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Nope.  You can be Game Pass only.  Have not had Gold in a couple of years actually.  Game Pass and XBL Gold are two separate services.  Obviously, if the game you've pulled off Game Pass has an online component, then yes, Gold would be needed for that.  I plan to just dick around with SP for a few hours and move on.

If you have a computer that can run the games, you could play them online since they are Play Anywhere titles; without having Xbox Live Gold.

Rock, Paper Shotgun with some PC oddities with windowed mode.  Digital Foundry also said there's some stuttering which the console versions lack.

And of course, Microsoft has a special way with PC. A way I’d argue is captured by the Windows Store itself. That way is “disdain”. Just wild, flagrant disdain, a complete uninterest in how anyone actually wants to use their games (like, say, knowing where they’re installed!). And despite being the company which you’d imagine would be most immediately familiar with Windows, and indeed PCs, each newly published release seems to find some inexplicably terrible means to feel like it’s never seen a computer before in its life. For Crackdown 3, this is resolutions.

The default launch resolution for this 2019 game is… a windowed 1202×933. Just what? That’s roughly a 4:3 ratio, like we used to use in… 2006? I usually run games in a window on my 3440×1440 monitor at 2560×1440, so looked for the default setting for that. It only went up to 2400×1800, which it considered to be “200%”. Again, what? In fullscreen it offered me more sensible dimensions, but for boring work reasons I need to capture screenshots in 16:9, so switched back to windowed. Now suddenly I got go up to 6880×2880! WHAT?!

This stuff is so basic! Everyone else gets it right! Microsoft: nope. In the end I opened another game in the correct ratio, and then used it as a template to drag the window to the correct shape! And… the game reported back that this was 1994×1113. “M” to apply settings. And for a punchline: after it crashed to desktop, it loaded up back in 1202×933.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/14/crackdown-3-review/