RIP in Peace, Prima Games

Commissar SFLUFAN

Damn. I remember going to gamestop (or EB Games or Software Etc) to get a guide for a game, or take advantage of their 10% off the guide or whatever it was when you bought it with the game. That magical time when you would get a game and then when you weren't playing it you would actually read the instruction manual or the guide. Then Guides started to get to be like $35. I can't think of any reason to get one now with the internet outside of collectors sake, but the fucking things were too damn expensive too towards the end. 

I've never used a guide and honestly have no idea how they were ever so popular. Are these fucking things the reason y'all are so OCD about finishing and 100%ing every game?

I mean, I've checked a FAQ here and there if I'm utterly stuck, and I remember calling the Nintendo hotline once as a kid, but getting guides with new games? Why? Besides collector's value, I guess.

I think I remember someone saying they liked the art and presentation of the good ones, which I can get behind.

32 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I've never used a guide and honestly have no idea how they were ever so popular. Are these fucking things the reason y'all are so OCD about finishing and 100%ing every game?

I mean, I've checked a FAQ here and there if I'm utterly stuck, and I remember calling the Nintendo hotline once as a kid, but getting guides with new games? Why? Besides collector's value, I guess.

I think I remember someone saying they liked the art and presentation of the good ones, which I can get behind.

Some people just like to beat games, lol. I know how you feel just had to take a jab.

Never a fan of the Prime guides but as you said, the art is big but how some of the books are put together make it part of the gaming experience. For many of us that grew up with guides, they opened up so much a game many of would have never thought to explore or to think outside the box to get better. I know Street Fighter 2 guides back in the day expanded my imagination of what could be accomplished in that game which in turn opened my mind to a whole new wave of possibilities in games I played but that's a whole different story for another day.

I stopped using guides over the years cause many of them were just glorified instruction manuals to take advantage of folks who didn't know any better for a cash grab but at one point some guides were necessary for some games to seriously advance. I won't miss Prima but I get the sentiment of this.