Warcraft III: Reforged - Information Thread (Launching 01/28/20)

Commissar SFLUFAN

16 hours ago, legend said:

Was it the 128x128 resolution textures or the 100 polygon models that excited you the most?

I think they’re trying to keep the original style to an extent, but it could certainly have looked better. I’ll still take it happily. I’m excited for the streamlined matchmaking, better support for modern PCs, etc. WC3 is really rough right now. 

16 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

The opening argument of this video is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. 

I think it was a mistake for Blizzard to trot up on stage and think this was gonna get anyone in that crowd excited, but every single person in that crowd has a fucking smart phone. 

25 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The opening argument of this video is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. 

I think it was a mistake for Blizzard to trot up on stage and think this was gonna get anyone in that crowd excited, but every single person in that crowd has a fucking smart phone. 

So correct me if I'm wrong, are you stating that nobody should have booed or have every right disagree in putting a mainstay series from Blizzard for mobile?

11 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, are you stating that nobody should have booed or have every right disagree in putting a mainstay series from Blizzard for mobile?

Holy shit, how did you get that out of my post?

Watch the first 30 seconds of that video.

(Sarcastically)

What are you, poor? You don't have $800 to play our awesome mobile game developed by another company that's gonna load it up with micro transactions? Fuck the PC.

(End sarcasm)

I haven't seen tone-deafness like this since the Xbox One launch.

Nobody in that crowd is angry because they can't afford a phone. I would wager 90 percent of people don't even want the game on PC, so it was an odd question to ask in the first place. 

As I said 

39 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think it was a mistake for Blizzard to trot up on stage and think this was gonna get anyone in that crowd excited

but, this video accusing Blizzard of tone deafness (which, Blizzard was tone deaf) starts his video off misunderstanding (or maybe purposely misrepresenting? hard to say) what part of it was tone deaf. 

As far as booing or disagreeing with Blizzard's decision to make it, period. Fine, whatever. I think it's odd for adult males to boo people on stage at a fan convention, period, but adult males do a lot of stupid shit so whatever floats your boat. I have a hunch the people booing about a game they don't have to buy that isn't actually even being made by Blizzard are the type to call people snowflakes. 

Yeah, that video is hyperbolic as hell. It is disappointing that Blizzard didn't have anything to announce at Blizzcon, but to say that Diablo mobile is worse than the Battlefront 2 debacle is ludicrous. The reactionary in me is excited to see how many people play Diablo mobile and enjoy it anyway. I also enjoy that the people tripping over themselves to be angry cite the fact that Diablo mobile is heavily outsourced as a bad thing, as though they want Blizzard to be using more in-house resources on a game they don't want. 

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

As far as booing or disagreeing with Blizzard's decision to make it, period. Fine, whatever. I think it's odd for adult males to boo people on stage at a fan convention, period, but adult males do a lot of stupid shit so whatever floats your boat. I have a hunch the people booing about a game they don't have to buy that isn't actually even being made by Blizzard are the type to call people snowflakes. 

I'm 50/50 on this.  If this was any convention with the fanbase booing I'd be inclined to agree with, but the fact that most of  Blizzard  fans were flying from from various parts of the country/world, booking hotels , and attending Blizzcon only to have been met with disappointment is something I can sympathize with.  Call it a cult or w/e, but it's important to note that isn't isn't just any game series from [insert publisher] at a conference. 

However, as far as putting a mainstay series on the phone/mobile, I completely am against it and it is rather tone deaf (no less Blizzard stating that the game will be canon into the series).  If they just made it into a spinoff and not say it otherwise, then sure I'd be okay with it.  But with Diablo having such little content or attention nowadays I'd be concerned or worried why this announcement was made, and why the series has gone dark.

1 minute ago, darkness35 said:

I'm 50/50 on this.  If this was any convention with the fanbase booing I'd be inclined to agree with, but the fact that most of  Blizzard  fans were flying from from various parts of the country/world, booking hotels , and attending Blizzcon only to have been met with disappointment is something I can sympathize with.  Call it a cult or w/e, but it's important to note that isn't isn't just any game series from [insert publisher] at a conference. 

I'm sorry I was so blunt in the first post. I've been wrestling with fixing my shower all day and I'm all riled up. 

Like personally though, I can't imagine booing an earnest person on a stage who is just telling you about something. Even if it was a game made by Blizzard and they were like, "we KNEW you wanted this on PC, but we wanted to MAKE YOU MAD so we put it on a PHONE." I just would be like "well OK that's not very nice" not clap, and then move on with my day lol. 

I think it's really immature and stupid to boo these dudes. 

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm sorry I was so blunt in the first post. I've been wrestling with fixing my shower all day and I'm all riled up. 

Like personally though, I can't imagine booing an earnest person on a stage who is just telling you about something. Even if it was a game made by Blizzard and they were like, "we KNEW you wanted this on PC, but we wanted to MAKE YOU MAD so we put it on a PHONE." I just would be like "well OK that's not very nice" not clap, and then move on with my day lol. 

I think it's really immature and stupid to boo these dudes. 

Again, can't agree with your statement on it being immature and stupid considering the investment made to attend Blizzcon. With the PR disaster Blizzard is demonstrating, I think they legitimately need to withdraw and figure out what they're doing wrong.  I understand what you are saying, however, that you can't see yourself booing, but I'd just simply suggest you reframe Diablo immortal into something you're passionate with.

Also, this might be a sensationalist suggestion, but I'd really would urge you to check the Diablo reddit here. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/

3 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Again, can't agree with your statement on it being immature and stupid considering the investment made to attend Blizzcon. With the PR disaster Blizzard is demonstrating, I think they legitimately need to withdraw and figure out what they're doing wrong.  I understand what you are saying, however, that you can't see yourself booing, but I'd just simply suggest you reframe Diablo immortal into something you're passionate with.

Also, this might be a sensationalist suggestion, but I'd really would urge you to check the Diablo reddit here. 

If your investment paying off depends on what a video game company is going to announce, I dare say you've made a poor investment. 

I think booing at these guys who are just trying to make something they want you to enjoy is the definition of immature. They're not the ones you should direct your ire at. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

If your investment paying off depends on what a video game company is going to announce, I dare say you've made a poor investment. 

I think booing at these guys who are just trying to make something they want you to enjoy is the definition of immature. They're not the ones you should direct your ire at. 

Whatever you say dude, I think it's pretty awful that Blizzard fans, no less Diablo fans,  got shafted this year with Blizzcon.  I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion on how you view the fanbase.

So exactly who should the crowd direct their ire on?  Last time I checked, Wyatt Cheng IS part of the Diablo developement team.

4 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Whatever you say dude, I think it's pretty awful that Blizzard fans, no less Diablo fans,  got shafted this year with Blizzcon.  I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion on how you view the fanbase.

So exactly who should the crowd direct their ire on?  Last time I checked, Wyatt Cheng IS part of the Diablo developement team.

I don’t have a generalization about the diablo fanbase. I bet a lot of them were just fine about it. I don’t think they’re evil to boo or anything either. I just find it stupid and immature.

They should not buy tickets to this event to show their ire. 

22 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

I don't think the argument that the people who attended Blizzcon deserved better holds much water. There have been plenty of other Blizzcons that have gone by without a major new project being announced, and I don't think it is reasonable for people to assume that something earthshattering will be announced. I also don't think the majority of people going to Blizzcon go for the primary purpose of being present while projects are announced; my impression is that Blizzcon is much more of a social event for superfans. I can understand booing in the heat and disappointment of the moment, but it also isn't exactly a  sign of maturity.

To me, this whole thing is one of the strangest recent gaming PR disasters, because I don't think Blizzard did anything wrong. I'm not excited by a mobile game, but there is nothing wrong with it conceptually. The "don't you all have phones" soundbite is kind of missing the point, but when faced with a surprisingly hostile crowd there are many worse things he could have said.  Somewhere along the way Blizzard mismanaged people's expectations, but that is a minor sin compared to the anti-consumer stuff EA and Microsoft have done in recent years. This will blow over pretty quickly. 

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think the people booing are immature. I never said anything specifically about diablo fans. 

If that bothers you I don’t know what to say. 

I'm more bothered that you think it's really immature for people to boo in general, especially when people paid to come and attend an event they personally spent, regardless if it's Blizzcon or not.  That's something I find quite perplexing, but I'll gladly get off this argument that's gone full circle.

22 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

They had already said Diablo 4 wasn't going to be at Blizzcon way before the show.

55 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

I did some reading. This is the stupidest thing I've seen gamers get mad about in recent memory.

They link to an article titled, Diablo Immortal, or How to Read a Room, which I hoped would be a little enlightening since I agree Blizzard read the room badly. In the first two paragraphs (as far as I made it) the author obliquely calls Wyatt Chung, the presenter, a Nazi, and directly calls Chinese citizens a "slave population." Ironically, there is a post slightly above it on the subreddit calling Blizzard racist. Yikes.

14 minutes ago, Moa said:

I did some reading. This is the stupidest thing I've seen gamers get mad about in recent memory.

They link to an article titled, Diablo Immortal, or How to Read a Room, which I hoped would be a little enlightening since I agree Blizzard read the room badly. In the first two paragraphs (as far as I made it) the author obliquely calls Wyatt Chung, the presenter, a Nazi, and directly calls Chinese citizens a "slave population." Ironically, there is a post slightly above it on the subreddit calling Blizzard racist. Yikes.

1. It's Medium, take it for a grain of salt.

2. Where did you read that post in which Blizzard was racist? This is what I'm seeing on reddit, unsure if RES is affecting it.

f6e11dfae6.png

3. The Chinese slave population comment was in regards to NetEase's reputation of having ridiculous pay to win mobile gaming, and that argument is legitimately concerning in what Diablo Immortal could devolve into - Pay2Win Auction House 2.0.

4. The Nuremberg comment wasn't even calling Wyatt a fucking Nazi, what on earth are you even interpreting dude? Directly after that Nuremberg line, author wrote this:

- He did his job and can now add “Official Blizzard Piñata” to his business card. Regardless, I feel bad for the guy. But only a little.

5. Article in context as most likely referring to these tweets, which I find it just as bad as how the fans are tweeting at the moment.

Regardless if you agree or not, Blizzard fucked up with this announcement.  That can't be disputed, especially when they're paying gaming bloggers to denounce the crowd reaction in Blizzcon, deleting comments and dislikes on Youtube, and an obvious underestimation to the negative reaction.

Gamers can be shitbags.  It's sad to see this much vitriol against a good looking (if not playing) game.  And as bad as the microtransactions and company behind it might be, it seems like a legitimate effort.  EA trotted out something much worse last E3 with C&C mobile, but no one booed them there.  Probably because they were journalists.

Blizzard still deserved a reaction to wake them up from being tone deaf.  This wasn't some indie project.  I still think Blizzard fans should be more outraged that a PC Warcraft III remaster looks substantially worse than an outsourced mobile Diablo.

• 1 year later...