Time Magazine - Nationalism Has Gotten a Bad Reputation. But It’s What America Needs Right Now

http://time.com/5431089/trump-white-nationalism-bible/?xid=tcoshare

Haha yeah, okay. The article dances around it, but it's calling for a return to white, religious ethno-centric nationalism that can unite the country:

It was not until after World War II that these core institutions at the heart of classical American nationalism — Biblical religion, the Anglo-American legal inheritance, and the English language — began to fade. The disintegration of classical American nationalism, and the consequent loosening of the bonds of mutual loyalty that had held Americans together, has created a vacuum at the heart of American national identity.

This is the author:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoram_Hazony

This article is purely an ad for this guy's new book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virtue_of_Nationalism

And it is posted under a series called "TIME Ideas":

TIME Ideas hosts the world's leading voices, providing commentary on events in news, society, and culture. We welcome outside contributions. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of TIME editors.

Stop amplifying morons. Good lord. 

17 hours ago, Jose said:

Why do people continue to deliberately misinterpret what the Man of the Year award is supposed to mean? Not that I give too much of a shit because Time is mostly irrelevant these days, but I find it interesting.

I agree that the discussion is rather tired, but I also wonder if Time deliberately words it that way to fuel controversy and thus publicity. In pretty much any other context I can think of ("Salesman of the year", "Game of the year", etc.) saying something is "X of the year" implies something positive. 

They could call their award "The most influential person of the year" because that's what it actually is, but then they might not create such a discussion when they give it to Hitler, Newt Gingrich, etc. 

So I can understand why people are frequently misunderstanding its meaning. It seems like a great piece of marketing on Time's side. 

What a fucking toolshed. Look, as long as we're wishing that certain approaches worked well in actual practice despite the stupid brain humans possess, how about we just wish they were smart, rational, and compassionate beings? Isn't that the ideal if anything is?

13 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

An Israeli arguing in favor nationalism always tickles me considering that the Israeli state formed directly as the result of murderous European nationalism.

But you see, that was bad nationalism, not the good nationalism he was talking about.

What's that? There's nay an example of the good nationalism that he's going on about, other than the fictional 1950's America that white people dream of?

• Haha 1