Biden administration will require airlines to give automatic cash refunds for canceled and delayed flights

APNEWS.COM

The Transportation Department said airlines will be required to provide automatic cash refunds within a few days for canceled flights and “significant” delays.

The Transportation Department said airlines will be required to provide automatic cash refunds within a few days for canceled flights and "significant" delays.

Under current regulations, airlines decide how long a delay must last before triggering refunds. The administration is removing that wiggle room by defining a significant delay as lasting at least three hours for domestic flights and six hours for international ones.

Airlines still will be allowed to offer another flight or a travel credit instead, but consumers can reject the offer.

The rule will also oblige airlines to tell passengers they have a guaranteed seat they are not required to pay extra for, although it does not bar airlines from charging people to choose specific seats. Many airlines now charge extra for certain spots, including exit-row seats and those near the front of the cabin.

The agency said the rule will save consumers more than $500 million a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hype 1

21 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

GOOD

That BS where they overbook flights had to go. How TF do you overbook a flight!?

It’s on purpose to ensure the flight is full. 

From my experience nothing is more nerve wracking than having the first reserved seat and hoping someone misses the check in so that you don’t get stuck in fucking Tulsa Oklahoma on a Friday because of a work trip

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s on purpose to ensure the flight is full. 

From my experience nothing is more nerve wracking than having the first reserved seat and hoping someone misses the check in so that you don’t get stuck in fucking Tulsa Oklahoma on a Friday because of a work trip

Maybe a side benefit is if this discourages them from these tactics to always get completely full flights we will not have to run into the nonsense about there not being enough room for carry on luggage.

Airplanes are so fucking cramped it's a nightmare.

• True 1

32 minutes ago, legend said:

Airplanes are so fucking cramped it's a nightmare.

My problem isn't even legroom so much as seat width. United has a 3-4-3 economy on some of its transcon flights, I was in one of the 3s and this huge guy (not fat just a brick shithouse) sits down next to me and it was impossible for me to sit without contorting (broad shoulders). Managed to snag an aisle on the 4 seat a row up that was open, then that guy boarded and sat down in my seat instead of making me switch back. Doubly surprising because I had what must have been the only open seat on the flight next to me by sitting in this guy's seat. That flight would have been torture, I'm still traumatized.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

My problem isn't even legroom so much as seat width. United has a 3-4-3 economy on some of its transcon flights, I was in one of the 3s and this huge guy (not fat just a brick shithouse) sits down next to me and it was impossible for me to sit without contorting (broad shoulders). Managed to snag an aisle on the 4 seat a row up that was open, then that guy boarded and sat down in my seat instead of making me switch back. Doubly surprising because I had what must have been the only open seat on the flight next to me by sitting in this guy's seat. That flight would have been torture, I'm still traumatized.

Both width and length are a problem. Sit at window and lack of length makes it a major pain to get out. Sit on aisle and the attendants will smash into you all the time from lack of width. Put a bag under the front seat, say good bye to stretching your legs assuming you can fit it in. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

On my flight to Montreal a few weeks back, I was on a 3-3 plane (737-800) and had the inside seat (my wife had window). The guy in the aisle next to me spread his arms and legs out into my personal space. The unwritten rule is that the person in the middle seat gets both arm rests (since they don't have aisle/window for more room), but this guy wasn't having any of it. The entire flight he was on Facebook watching right-wing Pierre Poilievre and conspiracy videos, though, so I didn't want to start anything with him since he 100% seemed the type to start an altercation. Flying is so bad nowadays that it honestly is affecting our plans to travel.