Wizards of the Coast trying to find a new studio for Baldur's Gate 4

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Larian Studios didn't so much smash last year's Baldur's Gate 3 out of the park as launch it straight into orbit, colle…

Larian Studios have already said they aren't interested in making the next one as they would prefer to do something else. So...what are the chances WOTC try to rush out a crappy sequel to generate revenue?

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

They may not but I hope Larian does Divinity: Original Sin 3 next personally. 

I think [Guy who's full of shit (according to some)] Jeff Grubb had the right idea. Riding off the high from BG3 it seems likely they would do some original thing so more people who are familiar with them from BG3 can start fresh with a new thing they can build off of and bring new people in.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think [Guy who's full of shit (according to some)] Jeff Grubb had the right idea. Riding off the high from BG3 it seems likely they would do some original thing so more people who are familiar with them from BG3 can start fresh with a new thing they can build off of and bring new people in.

I understand the thinking with this but you can pretty much jump into Divinity without prior knowledge. I started with Divinity: Original Sin 1 and Larian had already made four prior Divinity games yet I didn't feel lost at all playing that one or Divinity: Original Sin 2. That being said, if what Grubb says is true I doubt they meant Divinity: Original Sin 3 then.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That being said, if what Grubb says is true I doubt they meant Divinity: Original Sin 3.

Well I don't think it's a true or false thing, just speculation based on Vincke's own statement, sounds like they are keeping it close to the vest

WWW.IGN.COM

IGN had the pleasure of sitting down with Larian Studios head Swen Vincke at GDC to talk about...well, everything. The talk we'd just heard, the news he dropped about Baldur's Gate 3, how the studio is doing post-release, how he feels about the games industry, all of it.

You've also said in the past that you did eventually want to make Divinity: Original Sin 3. Is that what this is, or is it totally new?

Vincke: I can't tell you.

Fair enough. I had to ask.

Vincke: Yeah, I can't tell you. No, it will have its proper moment. Hopefully nobody's going to leak it for us, but it's different than what you think it is, but it is still familiar enough for you to recognize that it's something that we are making.

It's been a while so I'm not sure that's what they were talking about at the time, but let's just say it is. :p

• Thanks 1

I absolutely would not want to be whichever studio is forced to make this from a business deal their execs made looking for a quick buck while forcing them to make it under far shittier conditions than Larian's leadership.

The only hope I'd give to anyone is Obsidian helmed by Josh Sawyer, but I'm not sure he wants to do another DnD game and frankly I'd rather him explore his own ideas.

WotC is also trying to find a new CEO.

WWW.WARGAMER.COM

Hasbro's Digital Gaming and Wizards of the Coast CEO Cynthia Williams has resigned from her position, leaving the company next week.

Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro Gaming President Cynthia Williams has resigned from her position at the company. As revealed by a United States Securities and Exchange Commission filing, she informed Hasbro of her resignation on April 15, 2024 and will leave the role on April 26.

The Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons publisher has currently made no statement about Williams’ departure, or her reasons for leaving. The filing simply states that Hasbro is “conducting a process to identify her successor, looking at both internal and external candidates”.

How about making the Dark Alliance sequel that everyone wanted, instead of the Dark Alliance sequel we actually got? They literally have a winning template to work from. BGDA might have been great back in the day, but it's since been improved upon exponentially by all of the ARPG's since. All they have to do is take Path of Exile and drop it into the D&D setting and you have a winner. But alas, it's WotC. Leave it to them to fuck up a relationship with probably the most successful dev they've partnered with in recent memory.

No dev in their right mind is gonna touch a Baldur's Gate 4.

18 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I do jot envy whatever studio agrees to do it. 

18 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, best of luck to whoever decides to take this one - you're sure as hell gonna need it!

I'll do it if necessary.

• Thanks 1