Would you e.g. trip a fleeing suspect to help pursuing police catch them?

Nokra

I was just out for a walk with my dog on my lunch break when suddenly I heard someone running up behind me. Right as I turned around, I heard someone shout "Stop! Or I'll use force!" and I see a police officer chasing a guy running right at me. I had literally one or two seconds to even realize what was happening, and in the moment I just moved to the side of the sidewalk with my dog and let them both go by. They quickly turned down a side street and disappeared. When I was walking back past the area on my way home, there were two cop cars but I didn't see the guy they were chasing, so I'm guessing he got away. 

Has anyone here been in a similar situation  before? Did you react any differently? Knowing nothing about the suspect or officers involved, I have zero regrets about just staying out of it this time, personally, but I could also see myself possibly helping the police if e.g. I was certain that the suspect had done something seriously wrong.

@Nokra , life isn't the movies. Few people really know how they will react, especially when the window of reaction time is just a second or two. Not knowing what was going on, you made the right call. The police are likely better equipped to handle the situation and would be the first to tell you not to intervene. 

• True 2

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Prolly not? It'd depend on information I couldn't possibly have in this situation.

Yeah exactly. Like if he was wanted for killing like 15 people and I saw his face on television I would attempt to slow him down considerably. But let’s say all he did was murder @best3444? I more than likely would give him a ride to my house and let him chill while the heat died down before driving him somewhere. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yeah exactly. Like if he was wanted for killing like 15 people and I saw his face on television I would attempt to slow him down considerably. But let’s say all he did was murder @best3444? I more than likely would give him a ride to my house and let him chill while the heat died down before driving him somewhere. 

You're dead to me. 

• Haha 3

I don’t know how I would react.  I was on the train a few weeks back when some guy came on spouting racist, vile shit. When he exited a few stops later, I did trip him on his way out. He fell down pretty hard. When he got up, he smiled at me, and walked away. I was annoyed he didn’t get hurt. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

There's one time I don't always feel great about. I lived in a bad part of town when my wife and I were at our first apartment. I was making a routine trip to the mailboxes when rounding a corner, I saw a kid running for his life directly at me and an officer chasing him cursing and yelling at him to stop. I made like I was gonna side-step, but then I flung an arm out almost like a clothesline move and caught the boy, and as he slipped away I grabbed his arm and held on tight, while he started screaming and crying. When the officer caught up he drew his friggin gun on the kid, who promptly laid down on the ground. I just stepped away and kept walking on.

Apparently the boy had hijacked a car and tried to hit the officer with it. Other officers showed up but then yelled at the guy over some jurisdiction thing. As I came back with the mail, the other officers had sat down with the boy and were seemingly trying to calm him down while explaining the seriousness of the situation. I just remember the boy saying "how you gonna arrest me, though?"

• Hugs 1

Yeah, to repeat what I meant in the OP: I have zero regrets about my own "lack of action" here. Besides the lawsuits, there are also potential safety concerns (both for me and my dog), and I have no idea what the guy allegedly did. Given the general lack of law enforcement in Portland these days (as @Fizzzzle can probably attest), I'd guess it would have to be something somewhat serious to actually get a cop to chase him down, but who knows. 

hard to say…Id probably stay out of it

Even as I walk in malls I often wonder how I would react if one of these mass stealing sprees happened in my vicinity… I expect I wouldnt get involved unless me or a loved one was targeted personally…. not sure what their fight or flight is against resistance but I guess i’d be all in there..

actually surprised folks dont get their bags and stuff stolen coming out of big stores like Costco and/or Sams

In thinking about mass shootings lately, I think Im toxic and hateful enough to try and kill the shooters loved ones should they harm someone I love..its not the right answer, but its part of the rot in me.. I dont think I have enough forgiveness in my heart for that kind of hurt