I'm sorry, I cannot write a D1P subject line, it goes against OpenAI use policy

FUTURISM.COM

Amazon is listing products in which even the title was generated using OpenAI's ChatGPT. Can the internet survive?

There's a huge amount of Amazon listings that all have the same generic ChatGPT "I cannot fulfill this request" message, because companies are trying to use ChatGPT for SEO and not bothering to check if it's actually working correctly. Jesus Christ man. AI is gonna flood the internet with so much unusable crap.

It's already flooded with AI reviews. Fortunately the ones I saw did not say verified purchase.

But the SEO thing also means they'll change a product page to something else entirely so like a nasal spray has thousands of reviews for a toilet brush (actual example I found).

Amazon product pages are just a mess, period.

11 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It's already flooded with AI reviews. Fortunately the ones I saw did not say verified purchase.

But the SEO thing also means they'll change a product page to something else entirely so like a nasal spray has thousands of reviews for a toilet brush (actual example I found).

Even when it's not blatantly abusive bait-and-switching of listings like your example it gets really annoying when they have a number of models of something under a single listing and it's not obvious which review goes with which model. Becomes a problem when one model is a dud, like an SSD where maybe the 1 TB version is fine but the 2 TB version is known to have issues with bad cells.

• True 1

25 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I've seen that last year and I think even the year prior. It was so confusing.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Search Engine Optimization. How you structure your webpage and the words you decide to use help it appear higher in searches.

It takes into account historic data as well nowadays. If people landed on a page often, that one is likely to get pushed to the top. There's probably a lot more layers to it I don't even know, honestly. But that's why they try to piggyback stuff off of already popular pages.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It takes into account historic data as well nowadays. If people landed on a page often, that one is likely to get pushed to the top. There's probably a lot more layers to it I don't even know, honestly. But that's why they try to piggyback stuff off of already popular pages.

There's one search I have in mind where a group was paying to be the top ad search result for that search term, and now they've stopped paying but are still the top result, and I was wondering if that was stickiness from getting clicks while they were a paid ad. 

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The extent to which the biggest sites on the web have become just absolute fucking dogshit is wild to see.

That's why D1P being smaller is to our advantage. We're the best thing going on the interwebs and reinvent what good content is.

• True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

The extent to which the biggest sites on the web have become just absolute fucking dogshit is wild to see.

For the shopping websites what's really brutal is the extent to which they've become marketplaces for random shit sellers and increasingly do not sell things directly anymore. I started shopping Walmart of all fucking sites because I felt like they'd be better than Amazon in terms of counterfeits but they've increasingly gone the shit vendor bazaar route too.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

For the shopping websites what's really brutal is the extent to which they've become marketplaces for random shit sellers and increasingly do not sell things directly anymore. I started shopping Walmart of all fucking sites because I felt like they'd be better than Amazon in terms of counterfeits but they've increasingly gone the shit vendor bazaar route too.

Also, Amazon apparently removed seller accounts from normal people like me several years ago. I forget the reasoning, but I had a perfect 5 star average and sold plenty of things I didn't need/want anymore, and it just... stopped. I think much of the Blu-Ray/DVD sellers were actual businesses instead of random people, which was nice to have when I first started buying off of Amazon.

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

And they're blue-checks.

For sites like google and amazon, them getting shitty was like driving a car every day; I didn't notice the brakes getting gradually worse. Then one day I went to use them for something slightly outside my regular beat and they were just... fucking terrible. Etsy is like that too now. I have some accounts that I know are real people who make cool board game shit, anything that's out of a specific niche I know well? I have zero ability to detect whether or not it's a real seller or someone hocking aliexpress shit on etsy with huge markups. It sucks.

Twitter has been much more abrupt, at least for me as someone who has essentially zero followers and uses it like something resembling an RSS feed. Over the course of a few weeks / months the ads got dramatically worse (it's mainly dropship scam bots) and if I look at the threads of anyone with a moderate following who doesn't have a robust blocklist, the replies are all bluecheck bullshit. Not that a website that was basically "commentsection.com" was ever GREAT; bullshit designed to farm engagement would float to the top from time to time. But replies to legitimate news accounts rarely had shitposter78986926 dropping racist dogwhistles as the top comment, let alone MOST of the top comments, which happens all the time now.

8 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, Amazon apparently removed seller accounts from normal people like me several years ago. I forget the reasoning, but I had a perfect 5 star average and sold plenty of things I didn't need/want anymore, and it just... stopped. I think much of the Blu-Ray/DVD sellers were actual businesses instead of random people, which was nice to have when I first started buying off of Amazon.

I'm a normal person (or am I? :] ) and sold a couple of things on there recently, one being my Steam deck. You just have to "ask for permission" to sell your thing and if you get the permission you can sell it.

With that being said, I feel like there is something even scummier going on and it's other seller's hijacking your inventory. I guess the amazon policy is that you can order something without a payment method and the order can be pending for 21 days while they try to authorize the payment. You the seller can't cancel the transaction during this authorization thing so  you just have to sit there and wait while the buyer either updates the payment or amazon cancels the order after a certain amount of time.

This actually happened to me, it was nearly 3 weeks and it was clear this "person" had no interest in buying the item. They would send a message asking for expedited shipping and I told them to contact amazon because it's FBA, and 2 weeks later they ask the same thing. If this person actually wanted the item with expedited shipping they would have just paid ASAP right?

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm a normal person (or am I? :] ) and sold a couple of things on there recently, one being my Steam deck. You just have to "ask for permission" to sell your thing and if you get the permission you can sell it.

With that being said, I feel like there is something even scummier going on and it's other seller's hijacking your inventory. I guess the amazon policy is that you can order something without a payment method and the order can be pending for 21 days while they try to authorize the payment. You the seller can't cancel the transaction during this authorization thing so  you just have to sit there and wait while the buyer either updates the payment or amazon cancels the order after a certain amount of time.

This actually happened to me, it was nearly 3 weeks and it was clear this "person" had no interest in buying the item. They would send a message asking for expedited shipping and I told them to contact amazon because it's FBA, and 2 weeks later they ask the same thing. If this person actually wanted the item with expedited shipping they would have just paid ASAP right?

Having sold maybe 100 things on ebay over the last 20+ years, my take is that most buyers are completely fine, but the ones that aren't are completely insane. Someone wanting expedited shipping but waiting weeks to pay seems completely normal.

Shit like, "I know this auction is listed as shipping to the US only, any chance you could do local pickup in Spain? Figured I'd ask."

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Having sold maybe 100 things on ebay over the last 20+ years, my take is that most buyers are completely fine, but the ones that aren't are completely insane. Someone wanting expedited shipping but waiting weeks to pay seems completely normal.

Shit like, "I know this auction is listed as shipping to the US only, any chance you could do local pickup in Spain? Figured I'd ask."

It's just annoying because I wanted to sell it before Christmas. I had it there before December and the stock was just stranded because someone isn't paying. You can't go to a McDonald's and stand around waiting to pay for 21 days, they'll tell you to get some money or GTFO. In any case the order WAS cancelled by amazon after I complained the second time they sent a message which was like right around 3 weeks.

Eventually after Christmas someone else bought it and ordered it in a reasonable time.

• Halal 1