RIP E3.

CastletonSnob

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hard to believe that incredible E3s less than 10 years ago and the death of it so shortly thereafter. 

While hindsight is 20/20, and also I'm no expert so I'm probably full of shit, the only way forward I saw for E3 was to press on with a show regardless of who signed up for it, and hope to get at least a few big fish that would make the others realize they might be missing out. Just eat the losses for a shot at reviving the show. But they kept pussyfooting around until it died.

E3 was another relic of the 90s that refused to adapt to the changing world and keep up with the technology in the industry it serves. Covid-19 only hastened it by showing developers and publishers they didn’t need E3 any more. Nintendo had already figured this out years ago. 

they should have pivoted over a decade ago to be more like TGS and San Diego Comicon, a week long event for the fans, but with more and more at home connectivity and features to make It more integrated than TGS and PAX. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Nintendo had already figured this out years ago. 

I remember, maybe even on these boards sad well, people arguing Nintendo didn't know what they were doing pulling out of E3. It just made too much sense. There's no reason for these huge marketing machines to be sharing the spotlight with anybody. Nowadays even the smaller indie devs are working together to put on their own presentations.

E3 could definitely have survived if they had pivoted a decade ago into being the Comic-Con for games, but they couldn't bring themselves to do it.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I had one of those fuckers call me to try and get me to give him access to my computer with remote access.

I managed to keep him on the phone for over 20 minutes, before he figured out that I was stringing him along, and hadn't actually gone over to my computer..  20 minutes where he couldn't try to scam someone.

Lol wrong thread but I'm so happy you did that to that fucker. 

I’m so glad I was able to go to E3 one year at its absolute prime, 2001, which is one of the best years you could have hoped to attend. Definitely will always cherish those memories. MGS2 trailer, Xbox and GC pre-launch, Halo while it was still some huge open map thing on pc only, Dinosaur Planet before it became Starfox adventures. Sega’s last hurrah as a platform holder, etc 

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m so glad I was able to go to E3 one year at its absolute prime, 2001, which is one of the best years you could have hoped to attend. Definitely will always cherish those memories. MGS2 trailer, Xbox and GC pre-launch, Halo while it was still some huge open map thing on pc only, Dinosaur Planet before it became Starfox adventures. Sega’s last hurrah as a platform holder, etc 

That's awesome. You meet anyone?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Wow that was a great year to go!! I’m jealous. I always wanted to go. Especially around that time. 

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's awesome. You meet anyone?

Nobody notable that I could remember but I didn’t pay as much attention to developers back then. I met the people who made bleem! (playstation emulator, probably most famous for Sony suing out of existence) and hung out at the booth because that’s how I got in.

They were showing off running playstation games on Dreamcast, which Sony was unhappy about especially since they looked better on DC than on the newly released ps2 because they added more MSAA. I knew them from being a mod of their efnet irc channel and they hooked me up. I also got to get the full unlocked bleem! for pc which let me run psx games in higher res on pc way better than any other emu at the time. 

• Shocked 1

16 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

don’t they already do their own thing and just let Keighley pretend it’s part of his summer game fest? They don’t need him either. 

They do a digital showcase.  Unlike the 3rd party publishers, they have little to no presence on his own show floor with demos.

I find that most ironic in Nintendo's case, who is supposedly a company all about 'play.'  The first playable reception of BoTW on the E3 show floor was the turning point that fed into the Switch's success.

Kinda reminds me of PAX South. I live in Texas and we don't get shit for gaming conventions, so I was super excited for PAX. I went every single year, and every single year it was packed. But I noticed the final year they did it that it had kinda been the same shit for the past two years.

When they finally killed it they said that it "hadn't reached the growth that they had wanted" or some bullshit like that. All I could think was "who's fault is that?" Because they had an entire state, and fucking large one at that, that was chomping at the bit every year.

56 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Kinda reminds me of PAX South. I live in Texas and we don't get shit for gaming conventions, so I was super excited for PAX. I went every single year, and every single year it was packed. But I noticed the final year they did it that it had kinda been the same shit for the past two years.

When they finally killed it they said that it "hadn't reached the growth that they had wanted" or some bullshit like that. All I could think was "who's fault is that?" Because they had an entire state, and fucking large one at that, that was chomping at the bit every year.

I just looked it up, of course it didn't get bigger in San Antonio. That should have been in Dallas or Austin.

• Halal 1

53 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I think the issue with PAX south was it never got treated like PAX West (Prime) and PAX East. The big console manufacturers and most larger publishers didn’t go to South. South was mostly Indy and tabletop. To grow it would need more bigger industry attendees. One year Twitch just straight no-showed, and MS took over their space for Mixer. 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I just looked it up, of course it didn't get bigger in San Antonio. That should have been in Dallas or Austin.

I like San Antonio though. We’d get a hotel near by and be within walking distance of the convention center and river walk. There’s a really good German breakfast place near there too. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I like San Antonio though. We’d get a hotel near by and be within walking distance of the convention center and river walk. There’s a really good German breakfast place near there too. 

I think Dallas and Austin are more accessible to other nearby states. Dallas gets a lot of regional conventions. 

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I think Dallas and Austin are more accessible to other nearby states. Dallas gets a lot of regional conventions. 

No that’s true. It’s just I also live in DFW. And while having a convention in my backyard is nice, I also like a good excuse to leave the area like a mini-vacation. lol 

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Austin is a shit show anywhere near downtown and expensive as hell, and Dallas is not near anyone. San Antonio is relatively inexpensive and way more accessible for most of the state. And the show would've been successful enough with JUST the people from Texas. It is kind of large.

I agree that the big publishers were sparse. I think one year Capcom was there with Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter and then Sony had a pretty cool Days Gone booth one year, but yeah after that it was mainly indie devs, which was also cool. But that said, that's PAX's job to sell publishers on why they should be there. Just like it was the ESA's. When they said they weren't growing, it was their own fault. I remember the way they worded the statement, it sounded like it was due to lack of attendance, and that certainly wasn't the case.