HE'S FINALLY FUCKING DEAD!

WWW.THEONION.COM

The Onion brings you all of the latest news, stories, photos, videos and more from America's finest news source.

WWW.THEONION.COM

Henry Kissinger, the most influential American diplomat of the Cold War era, died Wednesday at the age of 100, leaving behind a polarizing legacy as both a geopolitical...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

THEINTERCEPT.COM

A radical faction within the Likud party plotted to kill Kissinger in 1977, according to a news report from the time.

Despite his reputation as a geopolitical kingmaker, Kissinger was never able to fully impose total U.S. authority upon Israel, but he did seek to leverage U.S. influence — sometimes against what the right-wing Likud party viewed as its interests.

In the 1970s, Kissinger was so hated by the Likud party, which now controls Israel’s far-right coalition government, that some of its members tried to have him assassinated, according to a news report from the time.Henry Kissinger, Top U.S. Diplomat Responsible for Millions of Deaths, Dies at 100

“A die-hard clique of Israeli right-wingers has put out a $150,000 ‘contract’ for the assassination of Secretary of State Kissinger,” the New York Daily News reported in 1977, citing senior State Department officials. When reports of a possible hit on Kissinger first came out, it was believed to be the work of Palestinian militants, but senior officials told the paper that they were certain that the threat was emanating from the Likud party.

The Likud hard-liners who put up the money — described as “a small, radical splinter faction within Israel’s Likud opposition bloc” — were reportedly upset at Kissinger’s diplomacy around the end of the 1973 Arab–Israeli War. Kissinger had been instrumental in disengagement agreements with Egypt and Syria that saw Israel withdrawing from territories it had conquered. On the Israeli side, Likud’s rival Labor Party had worked with Kissinger to agree to the compromises.

The 1973 war had also led to a damaging oil embargo by Arab states against the U.S., and Kissinger was said to be willing to cut any deal necessary to turn the spigot back on — which the 1974 disengagement deals accomplished.

Of the hit, the Daily News reported, “The motive was said to be revenge against Kissinger for allegedly selling out Israel during his Mideast shuttle diplomacy.”

:dab:

On 11/29/2023 at 11:54 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Elizabeth Holmes went to jail because she bilked a small fraction of this dude’s money. Not because she endangered vulnerable people. 

Just because Kissinger is worse, doesn’t mean Holmes didn’t deserve prison. Just means Kissinger never got what he deserved 

On 11/30/2023 at 11:49 AM, best3444 said:

I understand he was a an awful human being but I truly never understand this place celebrating someone dying. Just my opinion but it's just not ok imo. But I know you guys love to do it so have at it. 

At least we got a game giveaway out of it!

Normally I actually agree with you, but in the case of Kissinger, Burn motherfucker, burn!

• True 1

• 1 month later...