Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (OLOLOLO @ that title) - Official Trailer (24 May 2024)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (OLOLOLO @ that title) - Teaser Trailer (24 May 2024)

I have a lot of hope for this project given Wes Ball is directing (directed The Maze Runner trilogy, which was low key pretty good). And one of his best skills is depicting an eco-post apocalypse and good CGI integration. And Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, who wrote the first two entries, are back writing this one. First three films are great so I'm in.

I really like the Apes trilogy. I revisited them recently and they hold up very well. Still hard not to be slightly skeptical of this.

I didn't recall these movies being profitable enough to justify another entry, but looking back at it, they did pretty well internationally. Still, this is far from a guaranteed success given that it can't possibly be cheap.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (OLOLOLO @ that title) - Official Trailer (24 May 2024)
  • 2 months later...

I'm of two minds after having seen Kingdom. It's a perfectly good, if somewhat cliche, sci-fi adventure, but it feels so unnecessary. I can't think of anything in this film that wasn't better done in the previous trilogy. In Kingdom the characters are less memorable, the action is on a smaller scale, and the stakes aren't given enough time to have real weight. If this was the first of the modern Apes films, there would be more novelty in seeing all the (very well rendered) ape characters, but it wasn't, so that novelty is long since diminished. If you're a fan of those films, this one is probably worth watching, but don't expect it to outshine what you've already seen.

23 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm of two minds after having seen Kingdom. It's a perfectly good, if somewhat cliche, sci-fi adventure, but it feels so unnecessary. I can't think of anything in this film that wasn't better done in the previous trilogy. In Kingdom the characters are less memorable, the action is on a smaller scale, and the stakes aren't given enough time to have real weight. If this was the first of the modern Apes films, there would be more novelty in seeing all the (very well rendered) ape characters, but it wasn't, so that novelty is long since diminished. If you're a fan of those films, this one is probably worth watching, but don't expect it to outshine what you've already seen.

It'd be pretty hard to top the original trilogy, especially when this appears to be a much lighter, less dark film in tone, styling itself as a road trip adventure film from what I can tell (I haven't seen it yet though).

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It'd be pretty hard to top the original trilogy, especially when this appears to be a much lighter, less dark film in tone, styling itself as a road trip adventure film from what I can tell (I haven't seen it yet though).

I wouldn't categorize this as lighter in tone. It's still very much dealing with the same themes and subject matter as the previous films.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I wouldn't categorize this as lighter in tone. It's still very much dealing with the same themes and subject matter as the previous films.

Ah that's interesting - I mean, Dawn and War were heavy films, dark and harsh (like most of Matt Reeves' films). Does this come off as just as heavy? Wes Ball, who directed this (and the solid The Maze Runner trilogy before this) doesn't really quite do that tone in his own films, hence my curiosity.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah that's interesting - I mean, Dawn and War were heavy films, dark and harsh (like most of Matt Reeves' films). Does this come off as just as heavy? Wes Ball, who directed this (and the solid The Maze Runner trilogy before this) doesn't really quite do that tone in his own films, hence my curiosity.

I'd say that Ball doesn't emphasize the darkness in the same way that Reeves does, but Kingdom is still very much about survival of your self/family/clan/species, evil inherent in human nature, violence as a tool for the greater good, and power. It doesn't shy away from moral ambiguity, but that isn't necessarily its focus.

• Thanks 1

I think I would’ve liked it more if I hadn’t just rewatched the modern trilogy over the weekend (hadn’t revisited any of those since seeing War in the theater). Those movies kick ass, and this one is fine. It has some interesting ideas, but doesn’t spend much of its (not short) runtime actually exploring them. 

Raka MVP. 

• 2 months later...

Caught this now that it's on streaming and I really enjoyed this one - a great 7.5/10 from me. It's not as good as the second and third films in the original trilogy but it's better than the first (which is still a good movie) and what I appreciated most about the movie is that it's not overstuffed with action scenes like most movies of its ilk are like (especially these days). The movie has regular character scenes and dramatic dialogue scenes far more than action scenes and so I cared about what was happening to Noa and Nova and Raka and the rest. Kevin Durand absolutely killed it with villain Proximus Caesar. He's introduced late into the film yet they spend enough time on him that you get a good sense of what kind of villain he is and why since they spend time having characters interact with him rather than just scenes of action and then exposition. The movie takes time to explore the psychology of the characters like a normal movie is supposed to. 

That being said, the movie starts to get confused as to who the protagonist of the story is as the movie becomes less about Noa and more about Noa and Nova (Ciri from The Witcher) and the movie can't seem to decide at that point who is the main character and who is the hero of these stories (Noa and the apes or the humans). To a degree that's a question the movie wants to introduce but we don't know enough about what's going on to make a call and the film doesn't seem to either. It's the first in a new planned trilogy so I imagine they'll dive into this further in a second film. But other than that, the film was fun and enjoyable - it's definitely lighter in tone than the original films (though yes, still dark) and the CG for the most part is insanely good. I also liked how they represented the eco-apocalypse with various tribes with very different ways of life and rituals, etc. Everyone should check this one out, it's a lot of fun and I hope they make more, which I assume they will since this one did quite well in theaters.