Pharmacy staff from Walgreens, CVS, other retailers could stage nationwide walkout at the end of October

WWW.CNBC.COM

The plans come after separate walkouts staged by pharmacy staff from CVS stores in the Kansas City area and Walgreens locations around the country.

Pharmacy staff from Walgreens are laying the groundwork for a nationwide walkout and multiple rallies at the end of October to protest unsatisfactory working conditions, and are in talks with employees from other retail pharmacies about joining them, CNBC has learned.

Those efforts, which are still in the planning stages, reflect the growing discontent among retail pharmacy staff, who have complained for years about having to grapple with understaffed teams and increasing work expectations imposed by corporate management. The Covid pandemic only exacerbated those issues, as new duties like testing and vaccination stretched pharmacists and technicians even thinner. 

Those frustrations came to a head in recent weeks, as some pharmacy staff from Walgreens locations around the country and CVS
 stores in the Kansas City area engaged in separate walkouts. Those demonstrations – and the planning for a broader work stoppage – add to what has been one of the most active years for the labor movement in recent U.S. history.

A Walgreens organizer, an employee of the chain who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation, said the walkouts are scheduled for Oct. 30 to Nov. 1. Another organizer named Shane Jerominski, an independent pharmacist who used to work for Walgreens, confirmed those dates. Jerominski is a pharmacy labor advocate who has been actively involved in organizing recent walkouts. 

• Sicko 1
  • Hype 3

My mom was a pharmacy tech for 30ish years at a grocery pharmacy and finally retired a couple months ago. She decided to retire early because she just couldn't bother with the stress anymore.

I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere, but I work for Walgreens and it's pretty obvious that things aren't going so hot for the company as a whole. We literally just announced our new CEO on Tuesday, and still have openings in the CIO and CFO positions, possibly other c-suite positions as well, hard to keep track of that shit.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I figured this was about understaffing just from the thread title, it's REALLY bad at these big chain pharmacies. 

Dude it's ridiculous... I LOATHE going to the Rite Aid across the street from me because they NEVER have enough people manning the store and it always takes me 15 to 20 minutes getting in and out of there regardless of what I'm doing there. It's ALWAYS a wait. Meanwhile the small mom and pop pharmacy in the same building as my doctor's office is a breeze in and out.

5 minutes ago, TyphoidHater said:

I know my local CVS pharmacy is notoriously understaffed.  Why did they even build a drive through if half the time there aren't enough employees operate it?

My issue with my cvs is that the entire "staff" focuses on the drive through and neglects the customers in store. My wait times for my medications is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes an hour wait or more.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

My issue with my cvs is that the entire "staff" focuses on the drive through and neglects the customers in store. My wait times for my medications is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes an hour wait or more.

I guess mine is the complete opposite then, the metal gate is routinely pulled down at the drive thru window with a note saying they're too understaffed to man it. 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's because one of their key performance metrics is drive-thru wait times.  Part of their annual review/ratings/evaluations is going to be MTTR on drive-thru customers.  The powers that be don't know when someone walks up to the counter inside, but they do know when a car has pulled up to the window and so a clock is ticking.  It's the same reason that during busy times or if you have a large order fast food people will ask you to pull up to a spot; it's so they can mark you as "done" to lower their average times.

• Shocked 1

15 hours ago, ThreePi said:

I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere, but I work for Walgreens and it's pretty obvious that things aren't going so hot for the company as a whole. We literally just announced our new CEO on Tuesday, and still have openings in the CIO and CFO positions, possibly other c-suite positions as well, hard to keep track of that shit.

Damn, I should apply!

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude it's ridiculous... I LOATHE going to the Rite Aid across the street from me because they NEVER have enough people manning the store and it always takes me 15 to 20 minutes getting in and out of there regardless of what I'm doing there. It's ALWAYS a wait. Meanwhile the small mom and pop pharmacy in the same building as my doctor's office is a breeze in and out.

Those pharmacies typically fill less than the chains. They fill roughly 200-400 prescriptions. CVS, on the other hand, usually processes around 800-1200 prescriptions in a 10-12 hour day. 

2 hours ago, Subzwari1987 said:

Those pharmacies typically fill less than the chains. They fill roughly 200-400 prescriptions. CVS, on the other hand, usually processes around 800-1200 prescriptions in a 10-12 hour day. 

1000+ is what you'd see in a high volume store, but I'd say the average (at least from my perspective at Walgreens) is between 500-700.