Update: Best Buy confirms its exit from the physical non-videogame media business (both in-store AND online) in early 2024

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101223-1100

The Digital Bits has learned from industry sources—and we’ve confirmed it with multiple sources now—that Best Buy plans to exit the physical media business for good next year, possibly as soon as the end of Q1 2024.

This includes not just their in-store Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD sales, which the retailer has been gradually phasing out for a couple of years now in their many store locations nationwide, but online sales as well. This means no more Best Buy-exclusive Steelbook titles, and no more titles from Best Buy period.

The fact that Best Buy is discontinuing physical media sales in their retail locations should come as no surprise; anyone who’s visited a Best Buy store location on a Tuesday recently will be all too aware that the retailer’s disc sections keep getting moved around and have gotten smaller and smaller.

Our own experience here at The Bits is that some store locations don’t even bother to stock new-release titles on the sales floor anymore—even their exclusive ones. More than once, in their Southern California locations, I’ve had to ask for the titles and wait while a clerk checks the storeroom.

But the idea that Best Buy would discontinue online sales too comes as a bit of a surprise... though perhaps it shouldn’t. We’ve noted in recent months that Paramount has quietly shifted their Blu-ray and 4K Steelbook exclusive titles—titles that would normally have been released at Best Buy—to Amazon instead. And it seems very likely that other studios will follow Paramount’s lead in the months ahead.

• Shocked 1

Even in Canada my Best Buy has had a bare minimum of new releases in store. So I’m not surprised by the news but I hope this isn’t the nail in the physical media coffin. Australia has also completely abandoned the physical format. Which makes me extra sad because 3D retailer Random Space Media just announce they are closing shop. They were great at getting them hard to find unreleased 3D movie releases. I’m, well we are still a market and would like at least a streaming 3d option if these studios are gonna abandoned ship.

As the article and people here said, it's not too surprising given how sparse the pickings are for Blu-rays at Best Buy these days. Still, as a proponent of physical media, it does seem like a loss.  Amazon gains more market share in another area, I guess? 

Best Buy has confirmed.

VARIETY.COM

Best Buy plans to phase out sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs both in-store and online by early 2024, the company said.

Best Buy is checking out of the DVD business.

The consumer-electronics retailer will phase out sales of DVDs and Blu-ray discs both in-store and online in early 2024, according to industry sources familiar with the company’s plans. Best Buy made the initial decision to end DVD sales nine months ago, according to one source.

Best Buy confirmed Friday that it is ending sales of DVDs. “To state the obvious, the way we watch movies and TV shows is much different today than it was decades ago,” a Best Buy spokesperson said in a statement to Variety. “Making this change gives us more space and opportunity to bring customers new and innovative tech for them to explore, discover and enjoy.”

Best Buy will continue to sell movies and TV shows on physical discs through the 2023 holiday shopping season online and in stores, before discontinuing sales in the new year. The company will continue to sell video games.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Best Buy confirms its exit from the physical non-videogame media business (both in-store AND online) in early 2024