Update: CDPR agrees to pay The Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski additional royalties

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 10/2/2018 at 9:36 AM, Pikachu said:

Any merit to this demand?

Based on my deep understanding and significant expertise with Polish intellectual property law, I will resolutely state ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :p

It's worth a shot  anyway - the worst that could happen is he gets nothing while there's the real possibility that CDPR will just quietly settle out of court to make him go away once and for all.

• Haha 1

It's no secret that the guy low-balled himself. He's been bitter about that for years. CDPR were nobodies at the time and while The Witcher was popular in Poland, no one else had ever heard of it. So it was really a huge gamble on CDPR's part, while the guy didn't really have to do anything but collect a check. So much for just being happy that CDPR put him on the map.

He also has CDPR to thank for the Netflix show. No Witcher video games, no Netflix show. Guess greedy pricks gonna be greedy pricks.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

How come fantasy authors turn into righteous dicks the second someone else takes their property and makes it popular?

I feel that they are some what envious that someone else turned their IP into something a million times bigger that they ever could. Or maybe he's just pissed that he made a shitty deal :p

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So much for just being happy that CDPR put him on the map.

If it wasn't for the Witcher games I would have no interest in his novels. I bought all of them. So he should be thankful for that. 

4 hours ago, The def star said:

I feel that they are some what envious that someone else turned their IP into something a million times bigger that they ever could. Or maybe he's just pissed that he made a shitty deal :p

If it wasn't for the Witcher games I would have no interest in his novels. I bought all of them. So he should be thankful for that. 

Same here. 

If the English translation of the demand letter is even remotely accurate, then it reads like an incredibly cliche extortion letter:

Even so, as is true in every case, and particularly true in this instance, considering the specific relationship between you and Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski, the Author’s nature and character, and also your own standing and business interests, we are prepared to settle the matter in an amicable – and more importantly – expeditious and quiet manner. 

:rofl:

"They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount. It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn't believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn't."

WTF! Then cry my a fucking river for your poor insight. You don't get to make deals retroactively.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

If anybody ever gives you the option for a percentage of the profits you should probably just take it. It's like real life winning the lotto. I don't know how analogous it would be to other mediums but plenty of actors have done that ended up with shit tons of money when some random movie because a huge success out of nowhere. I think Keanu Reeves did that with The Matrix right? 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

If anybody ever gives you the option for a percentage of the profits you should probably just take it. It's like real life winning the lotto. I don't know how analogous it would be to other mediums but plenty of actors have done that ended up with shit tons of money when some random movie because a huge success out of nowhere. I think Keanu Reeves did that with The Matrix right? 

https://priceonomics.com/why-do-all-hollywood-movies-lose-money/

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. 

Forrest Gump. 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. 

What do these three films have in common? Each was a blockbuster, among the first or second highest grossing films of the year. All three were also unprofitable.  

These films are not a cautionary tale about how wasteful spending can turn a commercial success into a net failure. They had perfectly average production budgets and expenses for movies of their scale. Their lack of profitability, in fact, is typical. Over 80% of Hollywood movies fail to turn a profit. 

Reading this statistic, we agreed with Darth Vader that this seems implausible. Where is his pot of gold that lures businessmen and investors to Hollywood?

Buried in paperwork. Hollywood’s lack of profits exists only on paper, the result of creative accounting practices so institutionalized and infamous that a Wikipedia page on “Hollywood Accounting” includes the inside joke that Hollywood’s most creative minds are the accountants. Instead of cooking the books to hide losses and inflate profits, Hollywood accountants inflate costs to ensure that even smash hits stay in the red. 

So taking a percentage of profits isn't always a good idea.

27 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

https://priceonomics.com/why-do-all-hollywood-movies-lose-money/

So taking a percentage of profits isn't always a good idea.

"Hollywood accounting" is its own special kind of beast. 

Most actors are now so very well aware of Hollywood accounting trickery that they design their %-based contracts to errrr...account for it.

• 3 months later...

CD Projekt Red Agrees to Pay Creator Andrezej Sapowski

Last year, Andrzej Sapkowski was pretty upset about The Witcher video games. As the writer of The Witcher books, Sapkowksi ended up signing away a lot of his rights to CDPR for a flat fee after turning down a profit percentage deal assuming that the game wouldn't actually make any profit. Several Witcher games and millions of dollars later, Sapkowksi regrets this decision and made that clear when he demanded $16.1 million in royalties, which CDPR rejected. Now, it's CDPR changing their mind and offering Sapkowski compensation.

According to Polish news outlet Puls Biznesu, CDPR has agreed to pay out some money to Sapkowski in recognition for his role in creating The Witcher series. The number, which was not disclosed, is quite a bit less than the $16 million he demanded earlier, but CDPR argues it is quite a bit more than they are obligated to give. In a statement given by the developer, they explain that they are mainly trying to maintain good relations with Sapkowski through this payment. Both parties have agreed to the settlement and have, according to their lawyers, resolved the situation amicably.

Glad they hashed this out... but I don't know who the Author's Reps were that they didn't at least TRY to get him some type of ancillary participation in the games is insane.