Taylor Swift has a concert movie coming out and it’s already selling like crazy

GettyImages-1488059595-e1693588598316.jp
DEADLINE.COM

'Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour' concert film posted $37M in presales from the AMC, Regal an Cinemark. Movie poised to open to $70M+

I ended up booking it at all four of our locations, and one of the drive ins sold about $5000 worth of tickets in the first 2 hours we had them up today 😮

Swift is beyond a superstar

An old roommate of mine was a swifty. I swear it was almost like a cult. I rarely heard her listen to anything other than Taylor Swift. She would gladly save up money for months to travel to one of her shows. And that's saying a lot considering she was a social worker who worked with homeless folks, so she didn't exactly make tons of money.

Maybe it's because I'm not exactly the target demo for her music, but I don't know... I like a lot of pop music. I even really like Swift's more bubble-gummy pop stuff she did like 10 years ago. Over the last 5 or so years she's gone into this boring fucking indie pop shit that immediately puts me in a Kia commercial and I want to turn it off immediately.

Point being, I like Taylor Swift. Not ironically, I think she has some great music. But I don't get the borderline cult following she has.

As opposed to Beyonce... I legitimately do not like anything Beyonce has ever made except for like 3-4 songs.

But, on the other hand, you can't argue with numbers. When you're the only person in the room who hates a piece of music, it's not everyone else who is wrong, it's you (not that anyone is "wrong," but you get my point)

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:
GettyImages-1488059595-e1693588598316.jp
DEADLINE.COM

'Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour' concert film posted $37M in presales from the AMC, Regal an Cinemark. Movie poised to open to $70M+

I ended up booking it at all four of our locations, and one of the drive ins sold about $5000 worth of tickets in the first 2 hours we had them up today 😮

Swift is beyond a superstar

The drive-in is its own thing, but I’m curious if you’re planning on things being different for this one in the actual theaters.  Do you worry that people singing along is going to be a problem for screens next to it?

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still can't believe that they moved the release of The Exorcist movie because of Taylor Swift.

The venn diagram of people on earth who are choosing between seeing the new Exorcist movie vs. the Taylor Swift movie has to be damn near two separate circles.

I think that was more about just having space in theaters. Exorcist was playing on all the “premium” screens in town last weekend, which will be taken over by Tay Tay tomorrow.

• Halal 1

On 10/12/2023 at 3:44 AM, TheLeon said:

I think that was more about just having space in theaters. Exorcist was playing on all the “premium” screens in town last weekend, which will be taken over by Tay Tay tomorrow.

I just looked at the showtimes for tomorrow at the large Cinemark near me. Exorcist, Saw X, The Nun 2, The Creator, Paw Patrol and The Equalizer 3 all have one screen each(4-5 screenings a day). A couple other random movies get 1-2 plays a day. 33 showtimes total between 10 movies. The Eras Tour has 27 screenings. Looking at the start times and knowing it’s over 2.5 hours long, it’s taking up at least 6 screens all day. Last time I saw a distribution like this had to be Endgame. All this for a thing that was announced a month ago. 

The numbers are more insane when even the MATINEE tickets for Eras are $19.89. Regular matinee at this theater is $8.75.

one of my closer friends is a swiftie and it’s truly fucking weird how obsessive the legit swifties are. the stans are like a cult. taylor has a complete stranglehold on the white girl market which im guessing is the demographic most likely to spend money on things like music so they buy fucking everything she does. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, johnny said:

one of my closer friends is a swiftie and it’s truly fucking weird how obsessive the legit swifties are. the stans are like a cult. taylor has a complete stranglehold on the white girl market which im guessing is the demographic most likely to spend money on things like music so they buy fucking everything she does. 

My old roommate listened to almost nothing but Taylor Swift.

I shit you not... Almost nothing. I lived with her for almost a year... Almost exclusively Taylor Swift. In fact im even liberally using "almost" because I'm just giving her benefit of the doubt and assuming there must have been some point she listened to something other than Taylor Swift and I just didn't pay attention.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, johnny said:

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I shit you not... Almost nothing. I lived with her for almost a year... Almost exclusively Taylor Swift. In fact im even liberally using "almost" because I'm just giving her benefit of the doubt and assuming there must have been some point she listened to something other than Taylor Swift and I just didn't pay attention.

It is insane - it is indeed a cult, and she has an absolute death grip on the white girl market. Beyonce is also dropping a concert film and her cult will similarly go crazy for it.

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I mean her music is great. Yes, I'm a heterosexual man lol.

Great? Her music is fine. It's just catchy pop music for the most part. Honestly many of her songs so sound similar in terms of song/beat construction that I sometimes feel like she's literally re-selling the same kinds of songs over and over. And I like Taylor Swift as a person, from PA (so automatic PA love from me), Eagles fan, politically progressive and uses her platform, etc. Clearly she's doing a lot right but mass market pop music done better than all other mass market pop music is still mass market pop music. To be clear, I don't know a lot about her music, so this is just a layman's opinion. She has the biggest fanbase in the world and has won many awards, so clearly I'm missing something but I've heard many of her biggest songs and while fun, that's about it for me. People say she's a generational talent that has re-invented pop music but just from listening to her music I'm not getting that.

:shrug:

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

yes…. my friend only listens to swift and broadway albums lmao 

tbh I like most of Taylor Swift's music up through like 1989. It's not music that I would choose to put on the jukebox, but I don't mind when it's on. Anything she's made in the last 10 years is not really my jam.

I fucking HATE "shake it off," though. Can't fucking stand that song.

Beyonce is a different story. I actively dislike 90% of her music. It's just noise to me. I think I heard "Single Ladies" so much that her voice became repulsive. Like, you know how if you get so drunk on a certain liquor, the smell of that liquor forever makes you ill? That's how I feel with Beyonce's voice. Only I never liked the song in the first place, it was just EVERYWHERE, and it bores into your ear holes.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Great? Her music is fine. It's just catchy pop music for the most part. Honestly many of her songs so sound similar in terms of song/beat construction that I sometimes feel like she's literally re-selling the same kinds of songs over and over. And I like Taylor Swift as a person, from PA (so automatic PA love from me), Eagles fan, politically progressive and uses her platform, etc. Clearly she's doing a lot right but mass market pop music done better than all other mass market pop music is still mass market pop music. To be clear, I don't know a lot about her music, so this is just a layman's opinion. She has the biggest fanbase in the world and has won many awards, so clearly I'm missing something but I've heard many of her biggest songs and while fun, that's about it for me. People say she's a generational talent that has re-invented pop music but just from listening to her music I'm not getting that.

:shrug:

I’m not gonna say she’s a unique musical genius and you need to love her or anything, but if you sample songs from all of her albums you’ll see that she’s mixed it up over the years. It’s not all the big pop anthems that have been overplayed the last ten years. There’s a good chance that you still won’t necessarily like any of it, but that’s another thing.:p

I think that’s a key part of her popularity, and why this tour is structured around her different “Eras”. She started as modern country, transitioned to pure big pop over the course of a few albums, developed a (very slight) edge as a response to her mega fame, then settled down and got a little more introspective singer-songwriter-y. These aren’t unique or massive moves, but they’re something. There are different points of entry for people. 

And again, I say all of this as a mild fan at best. I’m not crazy about her, but I “get” her appeal more than some other mega famous people. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I’m not gonna say she’s a unique musical genius and you need to love her or anything, but if you sample songs from all of her albums you’ll see that she’s mixed it up over the years. It’s not all the big pop anthems that have been overplayed the last ten years. There’s a good chance that you still won’t necessarily like any of it, but that’s another thing.:p

I think that’s a key part of her popularity, and why this tour is structured around her different “Eras”. She started as modern country, transitioned to pure big pop over the course of a few albums, developed a (very slight) edge as a response to her mega fame, then settled down and got a little more introspective singer-songwriter-y. These aren’t unique or massive moves, but they’re something. There are different points of entry for people. 

And again, I say all of this as a mild fan at best. I’m not crazy about her, but I “get” her appeal more than some other mega famous people. 

I think that's fair and makes sense (she must have good and different kinds of songs), but "generational talent" is to me hyperbolic but that's how she's perceived. If people just said she's a fun pop singer I'd pay her no mind, but given the ridiculous levels of praise she gets I feel like I'm not understanding something. I definitely get her appeal but talent and appeal are two different things. This is as an aside but I also think it's kind of an asshole thing to have a revolving door of dating famous guys and then making primarily negative songs about them over and over. Obviously when you get to know someone intimately they will show you negative sides of themselves and airing that out constantly to the public is weird. I know musicians having been doing that for forever but it still seems almost intentional and marketed in her case, like it's part of her brand (to be fair, I hate that "brand" is now a thing). I'm not plugged into that at all but just seems lame if that's indeed the case.

Edit: I'm also recently irritated with Swifties because of how obsessed the NFL is on cashing in on Taylor Swift dating(?) Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce. I understand why the NFL wants to play it up for money but goddamn her fans derail everything. I just want to watch football. Also I question her Eagles fandom since she is literally cheering for the Chiefs at Chiefs' games and dating(?) the man who helped beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl last year but that's another thing (I keep questioning the dating because I don't know - are they actually dating?). :p I don't really blame her, it's her cult fanbase and the NFL who are at fault, but I do wonder how much of this beast she intentionally created.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think that's fair and makes sense (she must have good and different kinds of songs), but "generational talent" is to me hyperbolic but that's how she's perceived. If people just said she's a fun pop singer I'd pay her no mind, but given the ridiculous levels of praise she gets I feel like I'm not understanding something. I definitely get her appeal but talent and appeal are two different things. This is as an aside but I also think it's kind of an asshole thing to have a revolving door of dating famous guys and then making primarily negative songs about them over and over. Obviously when you get to know someone intimately they will show you negative sides of themselves and airing that out constantly to the public is weird. I know musicians having been doing that for forever but it still seems almost intentional and marketed in her case, like it's part of her brand (to be fair, I hate that "brand" is now a thing). I'm not plugged into that at all but just seems lame if that's indeed the case.

Edit: I'm also recently irritated with Swifties because of how obsessed the NFL is on cashing in on Taylor Swift dating(?) Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce. I understand why the NFL wants to play it up for money but goddamn her fans derails everything. I just want to watch football. Also I question her Eagles fandom since she is literally cheering for the Chiefs at Chiefs' games and dating the man who helped beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl last year but that's another thing. :p I don't really blame her, its her cult fanbase and the NFL who are at fault, but I do wonder how much of this beast she intentionally created.

how good she is is definitely overstated because of her obsessive fans propping her up. they talk about her like she’s one of the greatest songwriters ever when she’s really pretty average. 

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

how good she is is definitely overstated because of her obsessive fans propping her up. they talk about her like she’s one of the greatest songwriters ever when she’s really pretty average. 

Yes, exactly. It's really annoying. I'm happy to give her the amount of credit she is due. I've been saying she's a fun pop singer. A lot of her songs are catchy. But one of the greatest songwriters ever? Yeah okay. :p