Taylor Swift has a concert movie coming out and it’s already selling like crazy

19 hours ago, johnny said:

how good she is is definitely overstated because of her obsessive fans propping her up. they talk about her like she’s one of the greatest songwriters ever when she’s really pretty average. 

19 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yes, exactly. It's really annoying. I'm happy to give her the amount of credit she is due. I've been saying she's a fun pop singer. A lot of her songs are catchy. But one of the greatest songwriters ever? Yeah okay. :p 

It’s a funny phenomenon to witness, because you don’t have to look hard to find people making similar comments about other modern artists. Hyperbole is everywhere on the internet. A new song by your favorite artist can’t just be good, it’s a magical gift to the world that restores your soul and omg I can’t even. But when comments like that are made about, oh let’s say Phoebe Bridgers for example, it doesn’t register that much because she’s not currently the most popular singer in the world. It’s part of the “stan” culture that is just exhausting, no matter who or what it’s applied to. 

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It’s a funny phenomenon to witness, because you don’t have to look hard to find people making similar comments about other modern artists. Hyperbole is everywhere on the internet. A new song by your favorite artist can’t just be good, it’s a magical gift to the world that restores your soul and omg I can’t even. But when comments like that are made about, oh let’s say Phoebe Bridgers for example, it doesn’t register that much because she’s not currently the most popular singer in the world. It’s part of the “stan” culture that is just exhausting, no matter who or what it’s applied to. 

Yeah but it's a sliding scale. 

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah but it's a sliding scale. 

Of course. That’s what I’m trying to say. There are plenty of groups/artists that have an obsessive/hyperbolic following, but how often is that artist also the single biggest celebrity of the moment? Taylor Swift is unavoidable right now. Like you said, you can’t even watch football without everyone talking about her. 

In this case, those young obsessives are now “justified” because their queen has done it. She’s made it to the top. So she must be the singular genius that’s saving music because she’s the most popular artist right now, and as we all know the most popular thing is always the best thing. 

And as with any ultra popular thing, there will be a backlash to balance out the fanatics. But in this case, the backlash is fairly muted, like “she’s good but not that good, just please calm down.”

• True 1

You must also think about the death of the monoculture. When we were young, for the most part, we all watched the same TV shows, listened to the same radio stations, watched TRL, and went to the same movies.

Nowadays you have people like Mr. beast who averages more views per video than the Super Bowl yet it wouldn't surprise you if the average person had no fucking idea who he is.

That breeds dedicated fandom. It's easier to think that [insert thing] is MY THING. Because chances are you don't know anyone personally who is into that thing like you are. So then you start to feel possessive about that thing because it has become a defining trait of your personality.

P

• Halal 1

I didn't realize that they're only showing this on the weekends. An interesting move that makes a lot of sense but I wouldn't have thought about.

It's amazing how Taylor Swift's popularity has taken off this last year or so. Yeah, she has been an A-list celeb for years, but this last tour has seemingly pushed her into a tier of her own.

• True 1

Ugh, I can't find the video now... but I saw someone posted a video they took in a neighboring theater where you could hear all the Swifties singing through the walls.

It was pretty funny... I'm happy to see people so excited... happy for them. I personally don't really listen to her music, but Taylor Swift seems much more palatable, tasteful, talented, sincere and down to earth than most mega pop stars. Good for her and her fans.

• Halal 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:08 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Yes, exactly. It's really annoying. I'm happy to give her the amount of credit she is due. I've been saying she's a fun pop singer. A lot of her songs are catchy. But one of the greatest songwriters ever? Yeah okay. :p 

The whole "eras" concept also seems like extremely self-indulgent wankery from an artist who's only 33 years old. 

• True 2

The Big Picture podcast did an episode exploring the whole Swift phenomenon through the lens of this release, and they made some good points. I’m not familiar with music criticism, but apparently there is/was a “poptimism” movement, which is basically people taking modern pop music as seriously as rock or other more “serious” genres. It’s easy to see how that type of criticism might benefit someone like her over some of her contemporaries. Her singer/songwriter roots give her some cred. 

They also basically call her the MCU of music, which is a little goofy, but the more I thought about the more I like it. They both have fans of all ages but their target demo is younger. Some people get deeply invested, eagerly anticipating every little drop of new content and over analyze everything, but a lot of fans are just there for a fun time and don’t think about it that hard. Even if it’s not your favorite thing, it’s fun to follow something that is popular enough that you can easily find other people to talk about it. This tour was a culmination/celebration of the last 10+ years of the thing, an Endgame if you will. Also, if it’s not your thing, it’s probably really not your thing and you’re annoyed at how much it’s taken over pop culture. :p

• True 1