College Football 2023 - Life In the Post Stetson Era

Keyser_Soze

51 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Georgia vs Alabama later today

I haven't watched sports in a very long time. I don't even watch TV anymore. I kinda miss watching games with my dad but their room where the TV is is way too small. I panic in there so I stopped going in lol. 

I don't know if any of you guys watched this Oklahoma State game but Mike Gundy abused the substitution rule to get Texas to miss a FG.

Towards the end of the half Texas acted like they were going to sub on the FG team, but decided to keep their offense on instead. So with about 14 seconds left on the play clock Oklahoma State subbed on a defensive player, and with like 4 seconds left on the play clock the defensive guy ran off. So by the time it came to snap the ball, the play clock ran out and Texas got a delay of game penalty. Then after that they missed the FG. :lol:

(Then Nelly was the halftime show and Ryan won the Dr. Pepper thing)

There is a fundamental problem with how the "best" teams are determined in College Football.  If your definition includes who is most likely to win a national championship if they were in the playoff, it's hard to argue that Georgia and Ohio State should be on the outside -- and some of the teams under discussion probably aren't as likely as Penn State or Oregon either.

So, if you use the tie breakers suggested by the CFB Committee (Conference Championships won, SoS, Head-to-Head, Comparison of outcomes among common opponents).  You get a very different answer.

Since you have 5 viable conference winners -- you eliminate Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon and all the other non-winners.

You have 3 undefeated conference Champions -- Washington, Michigan, Florida State.  They all were top 4 teams coming into this week, and all won against ranked opponents.  They have to stay in.

That leaves the 2 1-loss conference Champions -- who played each other in Head-to-Head -- Texas and Alabama.  Texas should be in based on that win.

It feels bad putting some of those teams in ahead of Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama -- but, hey, it shows why the four team playoff was such a flawed system, and needed to be replaced.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They either just need to expand the playoffs or just make it actual playoffs. But of course too much money in meaningless bowl games to do that.

If Georgia doesn’t go I hope Michigan wins it all and sticks it to the NCCA lol

I am surprised by the shock people are expressing due to FSU being left out. Undefeated teams in lesser conferences have been omitted in the past. This idea that FSU is part of the Power 5 is comical. Power 5 is dead. It’s a Power 2. If you ain’t in the B10 or SEC, you’re gonna be treated like a second class citizen. Get used to it. This is what consolidation has done in college football. It’s why FSU wants out of the ACC. Deep down they know it. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They either just need to expand the playoffs or just make it actual playoffs. But of course too much money in meaningless bowl games to do that.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Here's a breakdown of how the new 12-team college football playoffs will work...

The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.

The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format.

The lower seed has the opportunity to select the host venue during the first round. Bowl games will be introduced in the quarterfinal round. The semifinals will be played in bowls on a rotating basis while the national championship host site is determined through bids by prospective host sites.

I kind of hate the 12 team format the more I think about it, because it means that a lot of the late season rivalry games that are usually absolutely seismic in importance, like most recent OSU-Michigan games, kind of don't matter as much, and might not even be the only time the two teams play each other in the same season. That said, putting Bama in over an undefeated FSU in a 4 team playoff is absurd and I guess you might as well expand the field as much as possible if you can't trust them not to do shit like this.

• True 1