What is your sleep environment like?

Fizzzzle

What is your sleep environment like?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is your sleep environment like?

• Complete dark silence
    • Silence with a soft light
    • White noise (fan, rain, waves, etc)
    • Distracting sound with no visual (podcast)
    • Visual distraction

Personally I sleep with an earbud in one ear and I usually have a podcast or something similar running quietly on it.  Hardcore history is a good one. It takes me like a month to get through an episode because I usually don't even go to bed until I'm 100% ready to conk out, so I'm usually asleep within a few minutes of laying down.

I always needed complete dark and silence, but over the last few years, I have gotten used to having a fan on. Even with that, when I do my 'old man wake up and pee at 5am', I'll turn them off.

I've never been able to fall asleep with music playing or the tv on. I just ended up focusing on the song/show.

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I need it nice and cool, dark, and a fan on for a soothing sound to help me fall asleep. 

meta.jpg
ASOFTMURMUR.COM

Mix ambient sounds together to wash away distraction and help you focus or relax

You can choose your own mix of ambient sounds. I like birds because my sleep schedule is fucked and nothing gets me in the mood to sleep more than some lightly chirping birds. If there was a way to artificially create the light from sunrise, I would sleep like a baby every day.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Cold and with a show or podcast playing on my wife's tablet.

You guys like the same podcast? I can't imagine anyone listening to the shit I like to listen to when I fall asleep. I'm either listening to bronze age history or a true crime podcast about someone who killed 14 people. Lately I've been listening to podcasts about the history of Britain.

I think I spent a whole year listening to the fan-made Lord of the Rings audiobook that uses audio from the movies. My girlfriend would have gouged my eyes out if she could hear it. I have whatever I'm listening to go into whatever ear I'm not laying on.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

You guys like the same podcast? I can't imagine anyone listening to the shit I like to listen to when I fall asleep. I'm either listening to bronze age history or a true crime podcast about someone who killed 14 people. Lately I've been listening to podcasts about the history of Britain.

I think I spent a whole year listening to the fan-made Lord of the Rings audiobook that uses audio from the movies. My girlfriend would have gouged my eyes out if she could hear it. I have whatever I'm listening to go into whatever ear I'm not laying on.

She usually puts on a show as opposed to a podcast, though in general it never really matters; I fall asleep pretty easily so it doesn't matter if I'm interested in it. Lately she's been putting on Mad Men because she's rewatching it.

Silence preferred but I do white noise to be sure, I have an actual white noise machine, a loud fan works too. In a hotel I always set the A/C fan to run continuously since I find it very sleep-distracting to have it cycling on and off.

For light level I don't like 100% total darkness. I think it's because I grew up with a street light directly outside my bedroom window. I also just get uncomfortable being completely unable to see but again that may follow on from being conditioned to a low level of ambient light at night.

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I can sleep anywhere in any condition as long as it isn’t moving. I can’t sleep on cars/trains/planes. 

I’ve hit the point of exhaustion recently where I’m fine to do all my day to day, but the moment I’m sedentary and not accountable for someone, I’d fall asleep. Sofa, bus, rocking chair…all on the same day.

I was just in a meeting and I SO thought I was going to be fired. 

Basically I dropped a bunch of benadryl. Like 6 pills. I didn't realize that's what I was taking.

It might sound stupid considering the drugs I've done, but I was so scared. I thought they were going to think I was drunk.

Now it COULD be that they just don't have anyone to replace me

I wish I could fucking sleep. I would prefer complete darkness and silence, even from my breathing. I want be cold on the outside and just the right amount of snuggle warmth, that doesn’t make me sweaty, and under a good weighted blanket. Since I don’t have that option all the time, I’m pretty fucking restless and now I’m dealing with a fucking bunion on my right big toe. Fuck does it ever hurt right now. Sadly it was made worse by the new pup Buddy when he went from lying on my chest, to sudden puppy energy and jumping backwards onto that same foot. 

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Dark and I use blackout curtains since I'm night shift. A fan for white noise.

I also work nights and I dealt with so much shit before I realized I needed black curtains. Like I had sleep paralysis multiple times a day. It sucked.