STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R | Coming November 2 to Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5, and Steam [Demo Available Now]

Keyser_Soze

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R | Coming November 2 to Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5, and Steam

Star Ocean: First Departure R needs to get off Switch and PS4/PS5 and come to PC. I'm hoping that now that we're finally getting Star Ocean: The Second Story R that the first will finally come to PC since we missed the original re-release of The Second Story back in 2015 when it came to PS3/PS4/PSVita. It's about time. Glad the second one is coming to PC.

• 2 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R | Coming November 2 to Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5, and Steam [Demo Available Now]
  • 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

from what I've seen on twitter this is another physical release getting screwed over on the switch right alongside the Metal gear collection 

Yep, fucking BS. Just go back to charging a $5 switch tax. I was hyped about buying this one but will probably pass unless another region gets a complete version on cart.

• Halal 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:03 PM, chakoo said:

Yep, fucking BS. Just go back to charging a $5 switch tax. I was hyped about buying this one but will probably pass unless another region gets a complete version on cart.

Just saw SwitchUp review said the entire game is on the cart and the only download is if you need audio other than Jap or English!  Fingers crossed that is true

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Wasn’t there a Vita remake or something?

The version on Switch and PS4 is an updated version of the PSP (not Vita) remake. The remake on Switch and PS4 is called Star Ocean: First Departure R. This version of The Second Story is similar - it's an upgrade of the PSP remake of Second Story called Star Ocean: The Second Story R. Unlike First Departure R though, which is stuck/locked to the Switch and PS4, Second Story R will be on PC as well as Switch and PS5. I do hope they put First Departure R on PC at some point, would be nice.

Ultimately, I'd recommend the PS4 version of First Departure as the best version of that game, better than the older PSP version or the Switch version.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

The version on Switch and PS4 is an updated version of the PSP (not Vita) remake. The remake on Switch and PS4 is called Star Ocean: First Departure R. This version of The Second Story is similar - it's an upgrade of the PSP remake of Second Story called Star Ocean: The Second Story R. Unlike First Departure R though, which is stuck/locked to the Switch and PS4, Second Story R will be on PC as well as Switch and PS5. I do hope they put First Departure R on PC at some point, would be nice.

Ultimately, I'd recommend the PS4 version of First Departure as the best version of that game, better than the older PSP version or the Switch version.

Nah, dude, second story R is a full remake, they just kept the sprite characters. Literally everything else was fully remade. They even retooled the gameplay a bit.

• True 1

56 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Nah, dude, second story R is a full remake, they just kept the sprite characters. Literally everything else was fully remade. They even retooled the gameplay a bit.

You're right, I guess I should have emphasized that while First Departure R is simply an upgrade of the original PSP remake, that The Second Story R isn't just an upgrade of the original PSP remake but a full retooling. "Upgraded remake" is the best I felt described that but yes, even compared to First Departure R, which was really just a remaster of a PSP remake, The Second Story R, while taking stuff from the PSP remake, retools a lot completely including the graphics (except the character sprites), making it more than just a remaster of a remake, that's correct. I just wanted to make clear to crispy4000 that the PS4/Switch version of First Departure is better than going back and trying to get the original PSP remake (not Vita) was the main takeaway there.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Did you find it in stores?

yeah I snagged a copy from Walmart. Bestbuy had it when I checked their website, but Target though it had it on the website prelaunch doesn't show it now and wasn't in any of the stores while I was out over the weekend. Only played a tiny amount as I am still addicted to Dave the Diver.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• 4 months later...