Automakers are adopting Tesla's Charging Port to get access to Superchargers

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Whatcha thinking?

I want a sedan so there aren’t a ton of options in my price point. There is the Musk Mobile, Polestar, and Ioniq 6.  I am thinking of leasing the Ioniq 6 so I can get the $7500 tax credit. 

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, Brian said:

I want a sedan so there aren’t a ton of options in my price point. There is the Musk Mobile, Polestar, and Ioniq 6.  I am thinking of leasing the Ioniq 6 so I can get the $7500 tax credit. 

If you're in that $50-55k range for the Ioniq 6 you may as well take a look at the BMW i4 as well. While it's technically an SUV, the Kia Niro EV is pretty small, like barely bigger than a sedan small.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Musk Mobile might be your best option at this point. You get the ev rebate credit and I think they’re giving 3 months of supercharging too now.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Musk Mobile might be your best option at this point. You get the ev rebate credit and I think they’re giving 3 months of supercharging too now.

Do you think when the refresh gets announced that there will be better deals on the Musk Mobile?

10 hours ago, Brian said:

Do you think when the refresh gets announced that there will be better deals on the Musk Mobile?

It’s sometimes possible. Things without a following like, for example, an Acura TLX will have dealerships trying to move out the old models right before a refresh starts rolling in (not just a new model year, but a new redesigned/updated version). However, cars that do have a following, like the Ford Mustang, get unaffected by refreshes or new models and sometimes get price increases before a new model or refresh - it gets sold as “last chance to get this type of design new!” as there’s always controversy with any body changes (example: the 2024 Mustang is a new design/generation, but for 2023 GTs there’s really no discounts).

SO, it depends on the type of following the Model 3 and S have.

• Halal 1

Tesla Inc. delivered a record 466,140 cars worldwide in the second quarter, outpacing Wall Street estimates.

The deliveries are the most ever in a quarter for Austin-based Tesla, and a 83% increase from a year ago. The company also managed to trim the gap between production and deliveries — a figure closely watched by analysts — to 13,560 units in the second quarter. In the first quarter, it produced nearly 18,000 more cars than it delivered to customers. 

The more I've thought about this, the more it makes me think it could be the thing that dooms Tesla. Right now Tesla has two "moats" that keep them as the number one electric car company in the country. The first and most important is their ability to actually produce EVs. That's also the thing that their far larger competitors will inevitably meet and exceed. The second and is their charging network, which also happens to be their biggest advantage over their rivals as of today. If you buy an EV right now, I feel like the refrain is often that you can buy what many would argue is a worse car, but it comes with far and away the best charging network. Next year if you can buy a Ford or a Volvo or a BMW or a Polestar or almost anything else and you can use the Supercharger network, the incentive to buy a Tesla is greatly reduced.

Maybe it's a very forward thinking move from Tesla and they can turn the Supercharger network into a huge profit center, but compared to selling cars that is hard to imagine. Assuming that supercharger revenue is in the "Services and Other" revenue, that's only 7% of their total in Q1 23, and I'd guess that Supercharger revenue is only a small fraction of that number. 

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

The more I've thought about this, the more it makes me think it could be the thing that dooms Tesla. Right now Tesla has two "moats" that keep them as the number one electric car company in the country. The first and most important is their ability to actually produce EVs. That's also the thing that their far larger competitors will inevitably meet and exceed. The second and is their charging network, which also happens to be their biggest advantage over their rivals as of today. If you buy an EV right now, I feel like the refrain is often that you can buy what many would argue is a worse car, but it comes with far and away the best charging network. Next year if you can buy a Ford or a Volvo or a BMW or a Polestar or almost anything else and you can use the Supercharger network, the incentive to buy a Tesla is greatly reduced.

Maybe it's a very forward thinking move from Tesla and they can turn the Supercharger network into a huge profit center, but compared to selling cars that is hard to imagine. Assuming that supercharger revenue is in the "Services and Other" revenue, that's only 7% of their total in Q1 23, and I'd guess that Supercharger revenue is only a small fraction of that number. 

Mandatory Twitter Blue subscriptions if you want to use the air conditioning will solve this. 

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's like owning a chain gas stations that only sells gas, when most stations make the majority of their profit on the convenience store items, on top of the fact people can get their own gas at home for less, not a great business model.

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's entirely possible that, like Valve, Tesla evolves to mainly become a service/parts/standard provider. Maybe in 15 years Tesla will be all chargers and batteries, but no cars. Who knows.

Muskrat's ego won't allow that. It makes sense if they can get rid of him though.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Tesla’s future isn’t as a car manufacturer. It’s a software company.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

Certainly normal to have doubts about Tesla after the Twitter fiasco haha, but he’s built the company to where it is. 

Not really, as has been previously covered Tesla and SpaceX both have small armies of Muskrat babysitters whose job is just making sure Muskrat doesn't getain anyone's way while making him feel like he's a big boy making the big decisions. 

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not really, as has been previously covered Tesla and SpaceX both have small armies of Muskrat babysitters whose job is just making sure Muskrat doesn't getain anyone's way while making him feel like he's a big boy making the big decisions. 

I don’t know how true that is, but let’s say it is, why would you then have doubts about Tesla’s future?

Unpopular opinion: Musk is not a complete moron, he made the electric car viable (through marketing, not invention, however; he bought the tech - something that needs to be pointed out as much as possible IMO :p ). However, he has reached the point of wealth where you start to become a self-absorbed jackass and think you’re some benevolent god-like genius, ultimately turning yourself into a moron in the process: he was already beyond this point when he purchased Twitter which is why it’s become a shit-show. Tesla was and is already “set up” to where it can basically run with or without Musk, so it’s safe; Musk isn’t going to mess with it because it’s working fine as-is (and he can take credit for it working as-is)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:57 PM, TwinIon said:

Tesla will be fine. 

On 7/3/2023 at 8:01 PM, Joe said:

I don’t know how true that is, but let’s say it is, why would you then have doubts about Tesla’s future?

It’s very not true. While he has certainly destroyed Twitter, Musk has steered spacex and tesla very well.

The hate a few here have for him preclude them from ever admitting he isn’t stupid, and is one of the most successful businessmen in the tech sector because he’s good at both lobbying and using government funding, as well as forcing through things like NACS through sheer force of will and by crushing opponents, which has proven necessary to succeed in Capitalistic society. 

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Tesla will be fine. 

It’s very not true. While he has certainly destroyed Twitter, Musk has steered spacex and tesla very well.

The hate a few here have for him preclude them from ever admitting he isn’t stupid, and is one of the most successful businessmen in the tech sector because he’s good at both lobbying and using government funding, as well as forcing through things like NACS through sheer force of will and by crushing opponents, which has proven necessary to succeed in Capitalistic society. 

How did he force NACS through by crushing opponents? Who did he crush?

Which has proven necessary to succeed in Capitalistic society? Respectfully, what the hell are you talking about?

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

How did he force NACS through by crushing opponents? Who did he crush?

Which has proven necessary to succeed in Capitalistic society? Respectfully, what the hell are you talking about?

how many times is it going to take for you chucklefucks to stop expecting serious engagement from him

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Tesla will be fine. 

ntYoC3y.jpg

On 7/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, CitizenVectron said:

It's entirely possible that, like Valve, Tesla evolves to mainly become a service/parts/standard provider. Maybe in 15 years Tesla will be all chargers and batteries, but no cars. Who knows.

Tesla is already a dumpster for the carbon emissions of others.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

how many times is it going to take for you chucklefucks to stop expecting serious engagement from him

Maybe I don’t expect serious engagement and I’m just bored? Ever think of that. Master Pooper?