Canada's ban on handgun sales passes Parliament (also bans 3D printed guns, assault rifle-style guns, and other things)

marco-mendicino-1-6404581-1684431808260.
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

The federal Liberal government's gun control legislation Bill C-21 passed the House of Commons on Thursday. While the majority of MPs voted to see the bill pass into the Senate, two Liberal MPs who represent northern ridings sided with the Conservatives in voting against the legislation.

Going to Senate, which could alter it a bit. In b4 "but it doesn't ban all guns and besides guns can come across the border illegally from the US and criminals aren't going to follow laws anyway and"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Good. Guns are a vile creation and no one should be allowed to own them. 

Complete nonsense. I agree controls are needed, but banning firearms is a completely ridiculous proposition that would destroy the lifestyles of millions of responsible gun owners everywhere. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Complete nonsense. I agree controls are needed, but banning firearms is a completely ridiculous proposition that would destroy the lifestyles of millions of responsible gun owners everywhere. 

I forgot you're cosplaying as an Alaskan frontiersman these days. Well Captain Cook, here's the thing. I would take away every gun in America and destroy the lifestyles of millions of nincompoops if it saved the life of a single child. 

Don't bother responding. I don't care. Come of with a new personality; this one is boring.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha 2
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I would take away every gun in America and destroy the lifestyles of millions of nincompoops if it saved the life of a single child.

Co-signed

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude, fuck their lifestyles given the alternative we've been living. Half measures won't work.

23 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Handgun murders aren't the problem in Canada that they are in the US, numbering about 170 a year, with more than half of those directly linked by the police to organized crime/gangs.  There was a parliamentary committee last year, in which the Deputy Chief of the Toronto Police Department testified that 86% of guns used for crime were illegally imported from the US.  Several police chiefs testified that they didn't think increased gun controls would actually do much of anything and that the focus should be in other areas.

“Our problem in Toronto are handguns from the United States,” he said in response to Conservative MP Raquel Dancho’s question about the Trudeau Liberals’ nearly billion-dollar federal buy-back program — one that would allow legal gun owners to turn in so-called military-style assault rifles banned by Ottawa a year-and-a-half ago.

“The issues around investing in what you described is certainly not going to deal with the crime problem we’re facing in Toronto, as it relates to the use of criminal handguns.”

So if none of the experts believe these laws will have any impact, why are they doing it? 

Have legal handguns been used in mass shootings, or even worse school shootings in Canada?  I am aware of one.  Ever.  Large-scale shootings in Canada are exceptionally rare, and school shootings even more so.  And, historically most haven't used handguns, and the one that I am aware of, was from an illegally sourced one.

Media bleed-over from the US, makes some Canadians think that gun violence is much worse than it is.  And that mass shootings are much worse than they are.

The Liberal government is going through a number of scandals at the moment (particularly where it comes to turning a blind eye towards Chinese interference in Canadian elections), and their playbook in these times is to divert attention away from a scandal and create noise around a divisive issue (i.e. banning guns, or pretending that abortion might be banned in Canada).  The don't actually believe this will do anything to save lives.

What would work, however, is the US adopting the kind of gun controls that Canada has had for decades.  Because Canada has an epidemic of easily accessible illegal handguns that flood over the border.

Since Canadians can't control that, the experts suggest that we reverse the bail reforms that have been put in place over the last few years that have resulted in violent offenders (and the members of the gangs who are doing most of the killing) being on the streets, rather than behind bars.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I forgot you're cosplaying as an Alaskan frontiersman these days. Well Captain Cook, here's the thing. I would take away every gun in America and destroy the lifestyles of millions of nincompoops if it saved the life of a single child. 

Don't bother responding. I don't care. Come of with a new personality; this one is boring.

Season 5 What GIF by The OfficeOh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake OffShocked Oh No GIF by Yêu LuCbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1