First Republic Bank expected to be seized by US government.

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Why would people just en masse decide "we're not depositing here anymore" so quickly?

Because the bank received an emergency infusion of $30 billion in deposits from 11 other major financial institutions a month ago in an (obviously failed) effort to keep it afloat.

107207471-1678710077938-gettyimages-1247
WWW.CNBC.COM

The news comes after First Republic's stock has been pummeled in recent days, sparked by the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Well, let's look on the bright side. This isn't the first republic the US gov't has taken over. 

INSTANTRIMSHOT.COM

If you need quick access to an ironicly-placed rimshot sound to mock your friends, or a genuinely-placed rimshot to put your great joke over the top, you've come to the right place.

How much of the deposits for regional banks like this split between personal and business? Are individuals pulling their savings to move to a "safer" national bank, or maybe to online high yield savings accounts? I, myself, have been wanting to make the move, just got to stop being lazy.

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

How much of the deposits for regional banks like this split between personal and business? Are individuals pulling their savings to move to a "safer" national bank, or maybe to online high yield savings accounts? I, myself, have been wanting to make the move, just got to stop being lazy.

@rc0101 - do you have any insight into this?

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Why would people just en masse decide "we're not depositing here anymore" so quickly?

I don’t know enough of First Republic’s business to say, but one of the thing that happened with Silicon Valley is they had a ton of business with thousands of smaller tech companies that were burning cash reserves much faster than they were bringing in revenue. This played a pretty crucial role in SVB needing to rebalance with their treasuries dipping in relative value, which then triggered the actual run.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know enough of First Republic’s business to say, but one of the thing that happened with Silicon Valley is they had a ton of business with thousands of smaller tech companies that were burning cash reserves much faster than they were bringing in revenue. This played a pretty crucial role in SVB needing to rebalance with their treasuries dipping in relative value, which then triggered the actual run.

First Republic also had a significant amount of uninsured deposits (68%) which led to the same situation as SVB where they were forced to liquidate their Treasuries at significant discounts to cover the withdrawals.  That death spiral was what led to the initial $30 billion infusion.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

First Republic also had a significant amount of uninsured deposits (68%) which led to the same situation as SVB where they were forced to liquidate their Treasuries at significant discounts to cover the withdrawals.  That death spiral was what led to the initial $30 billion infusion.

68% uninsured leads me to believe it is mostly business accounts but I’d need to look at their call report.

32 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

There was a pretty funny bit that John Oliver had last Sunday about how wrong Jim Cramer always is.

You have to understand what Cramer's actual job is. It 100% is not to be the "man of the people" he pretends he is! Just a shill for big hedgies.