Netflix Will Stop Shipping Physical Discs on September 29th, 2023

I honestly didn't know they still offered such a service, but it's nice it had gone on as long as it did. I'm truly curious what they will do with all those discs? As for the physical media aspect of it, I know I'll be watching Robert Meyer Burnett & Dieter talk on Saturday on the Post Geek Singularity for a rather in depth discussion, of which I have no doubt.

Apparently they had a show today, while I am unsure if they spoke about the Netflix of it all, not sure yet.

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I assume this includes any and all types, not just DVD's - I think they do blurays too? Not sure about 4k discs. 

They definitely do Blu-Rays since I alternate DVDs and Blu-Rays when they ship them out (this is my secret, now you know it based on the what you watched thread :p ) no UHD though.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They definitely do Blu-Rays since I alternate DVDs and Blu-Rays when they ship them out (this is my secret, now you know it based on the what you watched thread :p ) no UHD though.

Yeah I remember getting blurays back in the day (been a long while), and did notice that with your reviews too. I assume they are discontinuing any sort of physical media then, not just DVD's?

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah I remember getting blurays back in the day (been a long while), and did notice that with your reviews too. I assume they are discontinuing any sort of physical media then, not just DVD's?

Right. No more movies of any kind being mailed out.

• Thanks 1

I actually thought they stopped this awhile ago. Every other day, I used to see a fellow walk by my apartment with a Netflix envelope in his hand, but I haven't seen him in probably a year.

That was my only basis for thinking they had stopped shipping physical media already.

• Shocked 1

I'm fine with this. They can't be making any money off it (not that they are making money to begin with), and it also probably doesn't get a ton of use. 

I've learned to just buy whatever I can't find on streaming years ago. BSG, B5, Stargate SG1, Atlantis, and especially universe at points have all been hard to find on streaming services, so I just buy them on Apple and Google. Mostly apple though, for the sci fi stuff. 

• Halal 1

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wonder if the consumers who used this, people in rural areas with poor internet connections use Redbox more than this and Netflix said fuck it. Redbox is still pretty popular right?

I imagine in more rural areas they are quite popular. I still see kiosks here in the suburbs but I can’t think of the last time I walked past one that was being used. A decade ago I would always see someone using them and sometimes even forming a mini line.

• Halal 1

• 5 months later...

Well unless they decide to ship 10 DVDs tomorrow my last movie will be The Night of the Hunter (1955) @Greatoneshere

But what I have been doing the past couple of days is looking through my queue (Which is around 400 movies so it's still insane they are going to just stop sending out discs, I can't be the only one right?) and going down the list to see which movies are on what service. It's crazy to see how much content is splintered up everywhere. So I'm looking at Prime, Netflix streaming and Plex which has a surprising amount of on demand movies. Also there is something called Kanopy which is free if you have a library card or university email so I'm going to look into that too.

This serves two purposes, I can still catch some of these movies on a different service and if I trim down the list I can see the movies that aren't anywhere else and move them up just in case tomorrow they end up giving me 10 DVDs.

On 9/29/2023 at 12:49 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Well unless they decide to ship 10 DVDs tomorrow my last movie will be The Night of the Hunter (1955) @Greatoneshere

But what I have been doing the past couple of days is looking through my queue (Which is around 400 movies so it's still insane they are going to just stop sending out discs, I can't be the only one right?) and going down the list to see which movies are on what service. It's crazy to see how much content is splintered up everywhere. So I'm looking at Prime, Netflix streaming and Plex which has a surprising amount of on demand movies. Also there is something called Kanopy which is free if you have a library card or university email so I'm going to look into that too.

This serves two purposes, I can still catch some of these movies on a different service and if I trim down the list I can see the movies that aren't anywhere else and move them up just in case tomorrow they end up giving me 10 DVDs.

Kanopy is an awesome free resource. They have a lot of old classics, new movies (mostly indies) and a ton of random shit in between, and a lot of it isn’t streaming elsewhere. I tend to forget about it because I mostly watch stuff through the apps on Xbox, but whenever I check it out it doesn’t take long to make a list of a dozen things I should watch. 

• True 1