SEGA Nearing Deal to Acquire Rovio for 1 Billion Dollars

Keyser_Soze

1NxZI0CgUFzQsrgXe69J88Hn6D8_wMok.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The company behind Sonic may be buying Angry Birds.

Sega is reportedly close to buying Rovio Entertainment — the company that owns the Angry Birds mobile game franchise — for a whopping $1 billion, according to The Wall Street Journal. Sega may lock in the big deal by early next week, according to people speaking with WSJ.

• Shocked 1

I mean, they’ve got a billion available, surely they’d be better to either buy up some studios to grow their game business, reinvest in some of the more outlandish Sega things (arcades and retail), or hold on to it for the eventual bubble to burst. This seems…odd. 

It seems like they routinely make between 250-300 million in revenue a year, so it doesn’t seem like the world’s worst investment.  Keep the Angry Birds train rolling a bit and use their mobile knowhow to crank out a few Sega themed mobile games and you’re comfortably in the black.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, Derek said:

I'm so out of the loop on what's popular these days. I thought Angry Birds fizzled out years and years ago. Also, Sega making deals in the billion dollar range is quite interesting. All that Sonic Frontier money!

It's probably for Sammy to make Angry Birds themed pachinko machines and whatnot, not for Sega to make Angry Birds video games.

• 10 months later...