Harry Potter in the works at HBO. How quickly should major franchises be rebooted?

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Half-Blood Prince was my favorite book in the series and they just made it a goofy teenage love fest for the movie. Blahhh.

I did enjoy the final two movies, though. Sure, there's stuff missing, but they worked for me. I loved the Battle of Hogwarts. Only thing I really hated was how Voldemort turned to ash in the end. The book was very specific on his death and for good reason. Oh, and Harry just snapping the Elder Wand in two and not fixing his own with it prior to returning it to Dumbledore's tomb. Just pointless changes that made for the worse.

Yeah I like HBP too, it's quite good. I think it does a good job of giving insight into how Voldy is evil without trying to "why" it away or equivocating about it. It sets up how Harry has the insight to hunt the Hallows in the final book. I don't mind the movie being PG-13 horny, I DO mind the fact that Harry learns very little about Voldemort which means the next 2 movies are about him lucking his way to the Hallows.

I think the whole Elder Wand finale in the books really robs us of the whole "the greatest magic is love" thing that was set up from jump in favor of a, "Draco disarmed Albus (even though Albus wanted that to happen) so he was the master of the Elder Wand, and even though Draco was ABSOLUTELY TAKING L's FROM VOLDEMORT THE ENTIRETY OF THE DEAHTLY HALLOWS BOOK, The Elder Wand DIDN'T care about any that, but it DID care that Harry got one over on Draco even though the Elder Wand was in another part of the country at the time, and NOTHING AT ALL in the previous 6 books suggested that wands worked like this EVEN A LITTLE BIT," trick. 

Regardless of this I think the books make it really clear that Harry just cannot hang with Voldemort at all, but the movie sort of lets him get his own licks in. I get WHY but I think all of that sort of misses the point. The Battle of Hogwarts was pretty cool, you're right about that.

• Halal 1

I remember liking all the movies, and thinking they were all good, even if some omissions always bugged me (like Sirius trying to stab Rat Peter while Ron was sleeping, but for everyone else it looked like he was trying to kill Ron. Always liked that little twist).

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Was it "Max Original" or "HBO Max Original" prior to today?

Shows would be labeled as “Max Original”, but HBO Max would still be featured prominently in ads, because of course you would want your streaming show associated with one of the most prestigious cable channels out there.

6 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

While the music is obviously iconic, I think keeping it the same is a bit like crossing streams if you're just doing the original story again.

i think they’ll use new music for the show but it’ll be inspired by what John Williams composed. Kinda like the Creed theme taking influence from Gonna Fly Now 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

The real question is if they'll cast a black actress as Lavender Brown until she has to date one of the mains, then they recast her with a white actress again.

Wait for the shitstorm when they cast a black Hermione. Republicans will be setting themselves on fire in front of the UK's embassy.

15 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Wait for the shitstorm when they cast a black Hermione. Republicans will be setting themselves on fire in front of the UK's embassy.

So I was thinking about this.

If they’re going to give each book a whole season (not confirmed or anything, just assuming), it seems likely that they’ll include SPEW and Hermione’s anti elf slavery campaign. It’s gonna hit REAL DIFFERENT if Ron is telling a black Hermione that the elves like being slaves.

• True 1

Was I just ahead of the curve mentioning black Hermione?

Like I said it is something that did have Rowling's blessing back in the day

l-r-ron-weasley-paul-thornley-hermione-g
WWW.CNET.COM

On the eve of previews for a Harry Potter play, the author discusses the casting of a black actress as Hermione and releases a video begging fans to keep the new story's secrets.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The real question is if they'll cast a black actress as Lavender Brown until she has to date one of the mains, then they recast her with a white actress again.

I remember the controversy over that, but did the original actress even have any lines? Was there anything in the movie to signify that she was Lavender Brown other than some call sheet just giving a random background performer the name? 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

I remember the controversy over that, but did the original actress even have any lines? Was there anything in the movie to signify that she was Lavender Brown other than some call sheet just giving a random background performer the name? 

I don’t think she had lines, and her being black was before the books said she was white. Still kinda lousy.

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think she had lines, and her being black was before the books said she was white. Still kinda lousy.

I mean in hindsight sure, but I bet you anything the director and casting director of the movie Lavender got a new actress for didn't even know the character had a previous actress, let alone a Black one. 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

I mean in hindsight sure, but I bet you anything the director and casting director of the movie Lavender got a new actress for didn't even know the character had a previous actress, let alone a Black one. 

This seems most likely given how these sorts of franchise films are made

On 4/13/2023 at 9:11 AM, Brick said:

As many times as I’ve seen the movies, I didn’t even know Lavender was in any of them until the HBP. 

• 9 months later...