Tennessee Becomes the First State to Pass a Ban on Drag Shows

I understand being upset. But anyone who is engaging with demut and getting upset about it is doing so of their own volition. If you don't like someone, just block them. That's what I have done in the past with a handful of users. I even have it so Ublock Origin hides the "you have chosen to block this content" or however it reads so I really never seem them post unless they make a tread or they are quoted. If you are on mobile get firefox and use that to browse the boards as you can use UBO with FFM.

Just block them. Over the years, it is crazy how many people have decided to leave over one user or another when they could just block a user. Like, do you feel like you have lost at a game and must hide in shame if you block someone? I get that blocking someone isn't the same when you feel like "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" - when you feel like it is the morally correct choice to ban someone, but that is really just on you and I have felt that way at times. I get that maybe you don't wanna feel left out of part of the conversation, but trust me, you really won't feel left out of anything if a person is bothering you that much. Maybe even seeing others interact with that user will bother you, but for that there isn't much I can say.

I like tufkak, don't wanna see'em go, but choosing to leave when you can just block is absurd to me. 

• True 2

In the summer of 1994 in a moment of desperation I went into an EB Games and traded Super Mario All Stars for a copy of Gamefan magazine with Earthworm Jim on the cover and enough money for a lunch at Burger King. I deeply regretted it later on when I got home and that was the worst trade I’ve ever made in my life. Until now, trading Tufkak in exchange for Demut.

However, as someone who deals with depression I can relate to how hard it is to deal with that and the kind of social stress that trying to navigate the line between fairness and permissiveness in a place like this can bring.

After Demut crossed the line in the other thread and showed his hand so we know where this is all going, I would normally not want to block them so I can keep an eye out and report their content as I do not want to be associated with posting in a place that would have that kind of vile nonsense.

However, out of respect for Wade and all he does for this community I will for the first time in MY posting career just block Demut so I won’t be prodding him and adding to Wade’s stress on the matter as he deals with real shit.

I will say one last thing on this subject that Demut absolutely 100% knows what he is doing and I’m pretty damn sure he knows that WE all know what he’s doing and he’s a fucking asshole for keeping it up and making this board worse and upsetting the community just so he can do his shitty shtick that he could just fuck back off to r/magahentailovers with. 

I hope he will have some decency and consider other people and maybe just maybe simply post like a regular person without all the fake just asking questions so I can shove my bullshit far right talking points down your throat garbage. I do not expect that though, as the entire problem is that he very much lacks that ability.

But for now I will go ahead and block him and move on. I would love if @TUFKAK would join me in trying that and seeing if it’s still too much with seeing peoples responses to him as will be the case probably every four posts in every current events thread. If it’s still too much, maybe we go from there, but we can give it a try. If not, I understand, it really really sucks though as I think you are a really cool dude and I’ve loved having you back and to hear your insight and experiences.

I hope the rest of the modding staff helps Wade out and keeps an eye out, I’ll be turning a blind eye and trusting you that I’m not posting in a place that is allowing the same kind of rhetoric that leads towards violence against the trans community. Good luck and let’s all play some Kirby to cool off.

79wW383.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I understand being upset. But anyone who is engaging with demut and getting upset about it is doing so of their own volition. If you don't like someone, just block them. That's what I have done in the past with a handful of users. I even have it so Ublock Origin hides the "you have chosen to block this content" or however it reads so I really never seem them post unless they make a tread or they are quoted. If you are on mobile get firefox and use that to browse the boards as you can use UBO with FFM.

Just block them. Over the years, it is crazy how many people have decided to leave over one user or another when they could just block a user. Like, do you feel like you have lost at a game and must hide in shame if you block someone? I get that blocking someone isn't the same when you feel like "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" - when you feel like it is the morally correct choice to ban someone, but that is really just on you and I have felt that way at times. I get that maybe you don't wanna feel left out of part of the conversation, but trust me, you really won't feel left out of anything if a person is bothering you that much. Maybe even seeing others interact with that user will bother you, but for that there isn't much I can say.

I like tufkak, don't wanna see'em go, but choosing to leave when you can just block is absurd to me. 

The problem is when a barely sentient door knob walks in and begins smearing feces over the entire thread. Someone gives in and the entire thread goes sideways faster then when someone brings up pizza toppings. Sure you can ignore a screaming child in a restaraunt but that doesnt mean they didnt ruin the meal for everyone.

23 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

The problem is when a barely sentient door knob walks in and begins smearing feces over the entire thread. Someone gives in and the entire thread goes sideways faster then when someone brings up pizza toppings. Sure you can ignore a screaming child in a restaraunt but that doesnt mean they didnt ruin the meal for everyone.

You can still block 90% of that noise. It shouldn't matter if one person gives in. You have the main offender blocked. What I have stated works very well and it is only when you ignore everything you have setup to ignore another user that it really fails. The toddler's screams are silent to you. All you'd be hearing are the adults screaming back.

And if you think a thread is going sideways attempt to bring it back. You don't have to engage in that conversation. If what you have to say is worth talking about it will be talked about regardless of the shit being slung in the middle. While not at troll, the old adage works. Don't feed the troll.

If you feel that isn't enough, then I don't know what to tell you.

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Wait a minute, you traded in a copy of MARIO ALL STARS for a magazine?

I just wanted something new and to have a nice little day out at the mall and I already beat them all I figured and I was weak and I was obsessed with video game magazines back then :(

• Guillotine 1

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I just wanted something new and to have a nice little day out at the mall and I already beat them all I figured and I was weak and I was obsessed with video game magazines back then :(

No, I get it. Thinking back, I used to blow money on gaming magazine as a kid if I saw the words “Final” and “Fantasy” on the cover somewhere. I still remember the one issue I bought that had Lennox Lewis on the cover for whatever boxing game he was in, and there was a mention of FFIX, to only find out it was like 2 pages of coverage.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

At least tell us it was a copy you got for free with your snes (how I got mine, zero clue where the game went over the years). :nervous:

Anyways we've all done stupid things as kids. Other than my OG xbox & my acade cabinet most of the VG stuff I had as kid growing up got lost over the years or was given to my young nephews to keep (or the one time I was being stupid and nice and let my younger brother play my boxed VB only for him to completely destroy everything, ggggrrrrrrr).

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

At least tell us it was a copy you got for free with your snes (how I got mine, zero clue where the game went over the years). :nervous:

Anyways we've all done stupid things as kids. Other than my OG xbox & my acade cabinet most of the VG stuff I had as kid growing up got lost over the years or was given to my young nephews to keep (or the one time I was being stupid and nice and let my younger brother play my boxed VB only for him to completely destroy everything, ggggrrrrrrr).

Back when I’d essentially only get new things at two times of the year (birthday and christmas) you had to hustle to not get bored with the same stuff. I remember a period of playing way too much Super Putty and needing it to end, this may have been around that time :P

For the record for anyone who was like me, and has been actively trying to block a certain user like I have all week, the option is a bit hidden but I found it when I gave another look this morning. Like many here, I'm not fond of over using blocks, be they here, Reddit, or personal accounts like Facebook or Instagram. So I'm not always quickly familiar with where the option is. 

Anyways, to block any user:

Click on the three dashes on the upper right of the website > Account > Ignored Users

Wam, bam, thank ya ma'am and you can block whomever you like. 

• True 1

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Back when I’d essentially only get new things at two times of the year (birthday and christmas) you had to hustle to not get bored with the same stuff. I remember a period of playing way too much Super Putty and needing it to end, this may have been around that time :P

oh I remember that period all to well myself. I relied on rentals so much growing up to fill in the gaps, so when I would pick poorly sometimes on a rental I just had to make it work for the weekend (not sure having mario is missing on my completion list is a winning sign) I would have it since rentals were maybe once or twice a month. So I had very tiny collections (if you could even call it that) back then.

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

oh I remember that period all to well myself. I relied on rentals so much growing up to fill in the gaps, so when I would pick poorly sometimes on a rental I just had to make it work for the weekend (not sure having mario is missing on my completion list is a winning sign) I would have it since rentals were maybe once or twice a month. So I had very tiny collections (if you could even call it that) back then.

Yeah I relied on rentals also as well as returns, besides trading stuff in. Luckily for most of the 16bit era they were more lenient on returns back then and would often let me return with the appropriate sob story within a month or so.

And by the time it seemed like they got more strict with returns I was entering the age of emulation and mod chips and that put an end to any total dry spells of new playable content. 

I’d also try saving money from lunch money to buy games “myself” as well. But if my brother caught me he would like blackmail me to do chores for him or else he would tattle on me to my Dad about it? Like what?

UPDATE:

Two organizations that have been noted to me as being important to the local fight in Tennessee that are in need of donations are

From the Tennessee Equality Project's website:

What does TEP do?  The Tennessee Equality Project advocates for the equal rights of LGBTQ people in Tennessee.  We do this through legislative advocacy.  That means we lobby the Tennessee General Assembly and local governments around the state.  When there is an important federal issue, like anti-LGBTQ adoption issue language in legislation, we help you make your voice heard with your federal officials.

As for KnoxPride, I have been informed that they are gearing up to fight the legislation as well as building a bail fund for those caught up in the soon-to-come arrests.

@TUFKAK @stepee@CastlevaniaNut18@Commissar SFLUFAN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 7

UPDATE:

I have been put in touch with a PAC in Tennessee called ChangeTN. As per their email:

Happy Monday [Redacted]

The Knox County Dem Chair reached out to me about your interest in seeing what groups around the state are doing to combat the abhorrent legislation coming out of the TN General Assembly. 

I wanted to take the time to let you know what we are up to and who our organization is. 

ChangeTN is a PAC focused on voter turnout/education and moving this state in a progressive direction. During the session we have led buses to the state capital to advocate and lobby against these anti-LGBTQ+ bills, or what we call here, the Slate of Hate. We have worked with partner orgs all across the state to help organize demonstrations, protests, and rally's. As well as working with the Tennessee Equality Project (another great organization here doing amazing work) to co-host phone banks and letter writing get togethers. 

Our current need right now is funds to be able to continue to bring buses of individuals all across the state to Nashville. Having the community there to speak to their representatives and sit in on these committees is extremely important to fighting back and impressing upon those that our local and state elections are so important. 

We do a lot of work around getting democrats elected as well and are building up to the 2024 cycle now as well, but until session is out this has been our main drive. I would be more than happy to provide anything else you may need or want to know. 

Any donors that you may know wanting to assist us, or any organization in Tennessee, would be greatly appreciated. Below you will also find a link to our website with more information. 

• Halal 3

On 2/25/2023 at 1:55 PM, TheShader said:

For the record for anyone who was like me, and has been actively trying to block a certain user like I have all week, the option is a bit hidden but I found it when I gave another look this morning. Like many here, I'm not fond of over using blocks, be they here, Reddit, or personal accounts like Facebook or Instagram. So I'm not always quickly familiar with where the option is. 

Anyways, to block any user:

Click on the three dashes on the upper right of the website > Account > Ignored Users

Wam, bam, thank ya ma'am and you can block whomever you like. 

This is helpful, thanks.

• Halal 1

This banner showed up on a highway bridge over one of the main thoroughfares into downtown this morning:

image.png

The text of the banner read:

“Thank you Bill Lee for tirelessly working to fight trannies and fags”

“We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children”

It was subsequently taken down by some good activists and destroyed:

image.png

• Guillotine 2
  • Sicko Sherman 3

38 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Is that banner supposed to be pro-Nazi or is it trying to associate the governor with Nazi's?

It's an explicitly pro-Nazi banner. How is this not clear to people?

The Nazis are approving of what the Governor is doing. 

• Halal 1

Getting tired of privileged blue staters looking down on red states for not being able to vote out their politicians because of voter suppression.

These people need to wake up. They're in for a VERY unpleasant surprise if they think they're safe from fascism because they're in blue states.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Getting tired of privileged blue staters looking down on red states for not being able to vote out their politicians because of voter suppression.

These people need to wake up. They're in for a VERY unpleasant surprise if they think they're safe from fascism because they're in blue states.

Sorry to tell you, butWho Cares Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

i mean do you expect us to look up? we have to look somewhere