Tennessee Becomes the First State to Pass a Ban on Drag Shows

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Christ almighty. It makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

There’s just no reasonable reason anyone should be forced to have a conversation with them unless they are being paid. It definitely feels like doing someone’s task rabbit assignment for free.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Fucking hell whoever originally said that there were no stupid questions needs to answer for this shit. Could you please answers these 50 fucking questions? Jesus christ seriously it’s so transparent and lame.

"I'm just asking questions" - the good ol Tucker Carlson maneuver. 

• True 1

Hey, I'm just asking questions though.

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

That sounds unhealthy. But you did say mere hours ago how you could solve this ''''''problem'''''' by making use of the ignore function and blocking me. I mean that is what it's there for, right? At this point you're doing this to yourself, it feels like. Also, no, I'm not infesting* every board but the sports one, I don't post in the tabletop board either :kiss:

*Please seriously reconsider using such dehumanizing language, xoxo.

22 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He talks about it a lot, usually in posts where he's advocating for trans rights and such. It's been a good therapy for him to throw himself into activism. He even acknowledges that years before, though he backed gay rights, he thought the concept of transgender was bullshit. It changed before his son came out and he was a super supportive dad from that point forward. His ex-wife...not so much.

It'll be a lifelong pain for him, but I'm glad he's become so involved with the community.

This definitely sounds like a healthy way to deal with his loss. There are much less healthy ways to 'drown' your loss, if you catch my meaning. 

I'll definitely keep him in my thoughts and energy, and I'm glad he's out there fighting the good fight. 

• Hugs 1

36 minutes ago, Demut said:

I fail to understand the author's reasoning in the article concerning how this would criminalize gay parades for example...

A fully-clothed male or female impersonator participating in a Pride Parade which takes place on the street (public property) could conceivably be arrested for dancing something as benign as the Macarena in front of minors who could be watching that parade if a law enforcement officer determines that the Macarena represents an "adult-oriented performance" as that determination essentially is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I wonder if my trans cousin and her wife keep an updated list on places that it would be safe for them to visit.

They almost certainly do, or at the very least will research before making any travel plans. Every trans person I know is well aware of the risks of travel. It is very sad. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A fully-clothed male or female impersonator participating in a Pride Parade which takes place on the street (public property) could conceivably be arrested for dancing in front of minors who could be watching that parade if a law enforcement officer determines that dance represents an "adult-oriented performance" as that determination essentially is in the eye of the beholder.

All law ultimately is but I get your point. However, there's already vague enough "crimes" that they can use for that (e.g. "creating a public disturbance") and the paragraph the bill refers to (§ 39-17-901) does further define what exactly counts as "harmful to minors". Of course they can ignore what is listed there as prerequisites for it to count as such but then again, they can ignore any law if they so choose and no one holds them to account for it.

Especially relevant seems this part:

"(C)  Taken as whole lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific values for minors;"

Seems to me normal gay parades would be excluded from counting as adult-oriented entertainment on that basis.

Just now, stepee said:

hey guys this law that is put into place by these people who specifically want to achieve this thing could be read in a way that means it’s not for this thing that it’s very obviously for hehehehe gee shucks gosh gee willy wonkers

But surely, Stepee, these legislators and law enforcement officers that find no literary, artistic, political, or scientific value behind the trans and overall LGBTQ community will change their mind when it comes enforcing this law and magically find literary, artistic, political, and/or scientific value out of people's lives. 

• Like 1

Oh, cool, apparently Shader's a telepath now, too. That lad astonishes me every day anew.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

hey guys this law that is put into place by these people who specifically want to achieve this thing could be read in a way that means it’s not for this thing that it’s very obviously for hehehehe gee shucks gosh gee willy wonkers

Just pointing out the flaws in the argument in the article.

:shrug:

If the rebuttal is "Well, they'll simply ignore existing law and interpret it however they want" then they could already do so even without this amendment. Reminds me of all the hysteria surrounding bill C-16 in Canada. Wake me up once something actually happens on the basis of it IRL.

1 minute ago, Demut said:

Oh, cool, apparently Shader's a telepath now, too. That lad astonishes me every day anew.

Just pointing out the flaws in the argument in the article.

:shrug:

If the rebuttal is "Well, they'll simply ignore existing law and interpret it however they want" then they could already do so. Reminds me of all the hysteria surrounding bill C-16 in Canada. Wake me up once something actually happens on the basis of it IRL.

Who said I was referring to you at all? 

• True 1

A law (§ 39-17-901) already exists that addresses the performance of "obscenity" in front of minors, so why would this particular law be even necessary to begin with?  Why not enforce that pre-existing law rather than create a whole new one unless there is no purpose to the new law other than to single out certain groups that are specifically unmentioned in the pre-existing law?

As for when something "actually happens" on the basis of this law in "real life", I'm fairly certain that the "chilling effect" this law will have could leave us speaking in the realm of hypotheticals for quite some time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

Sorry, Shader, it just didn't happen to be up top in the Unread Content list for me before :( I'll promise to try to be faster for you from now on :kiss:

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Why not enforce that pre-existing law rather than create a whole new one unless there is no purpose to the new law other than to single out certain groups that are specifically unmentioned in the pre-existing law?

Political grandstanding, I imagine, to signal to their electorate (by pretending to be doing something without actually doing something). Why was that anti-lynching bill passed some time back necessary even though it was obviously already illegal to begin with? Same reason, different topic.

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

As for when something "actually happens" on the basis of this law in "real life", I'm fairly certain that the "chilling effect" this law will have could leave us speaking in the realm of hypotheticals for quite some time.

I hadn't considered that but yeah, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, TheShader said:

Considering it's trans related, I'm surprised it took this long. I was prepared for it to be much sooner. 

People should really not answer his questions in a thread like this. We all know he’s asking questions to raise an opportunity to give the standard responses he’s already planning to make. It’s just the usual way of trying to “innocently” bombard the thread with shitty opinions by constantly responding to answers to their never ending series of questions. 

People who do this same damn shtick are so common they don’t even have unique personalities anymore they just become the same tired act, we had like three others exactly the same last year and I’m sure he won’t be our last.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

People should really not answer his questions in a thread like this. We all know he’s asking questions to raise an opportunity to give the standard responses he’s already planning to make. It’s just the usual way of trying to “innocently” bombard the thread with shitty opinions by constantly responding to answers to their never ending series of questions. 

People who do this same damn shtick are so common they don’t even have unique personalities anymore they just become the same tired act, we had like three others exactly the same last year and I’m sure he won’t be our last.

Agreed wholeheartedly. There's a reason I haven't directly responded to him here, only those responding about him(and even that I'm reluctant to do). 

• True 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

We all know he’s asking questions to raise an opportunity to give the standard responses he’s already planning to make.

My my, yet another mindreader amongst our midst!

I concur with your recommendation though: Don't respond to me if you don't have anything of value to add. Good advice, I just wish you adhered to it yourself a bit more often.

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

He remains an an active poster or I do. 

Ah, another boycott, eh, let's see how this one turns out.

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

[A] voice devaluing their lives [...] Calls transition mutilation but he remains here.

Not what I did and nor what I actually said. Besides, this was resolved by SFLUFAN. Hard to abide by rules that aren't mentioned anywhere on this forum but he told me the gist of it now so calm your tits.

Yes, all of this is doing absolute wonders for my recently-diagnosed, not-quite-clinical depression for which I have started treatment and is absolutely not contributing to it in the least. 

Nope, not at all.

Stay.

Go.

Whatever.

I have genuinely tried my best, but I'm too old and too tired to muster much effort any more.

I'm not looking for sympathy or empathy or understanding, but I wanted to express exactly where I am mentally.

• Hugs 9

6 hours ago, Demut said:

Ah, another boycott, eh, let's see how this one turns out.

Not what I did and nor what I actually said. Besides, this was resolved by SFLUFAN. Hard to abide by rules that aren't mentioned anywhere on this forum but he told me the gist of it now so calm your tits.

Oh, for Christ's sakes, just for once in your posting career: JUST. SHUT. THE. HELL. UP.

• Halal 1