What are the best remakes/remasters made?

gamer.tv

This is entirely off the back of how well Metroid Prime Remastered is reviewing and a thought about what are some other great examples of remasters and remakes.

Off the top of my head, the following have improved on a lot from their original games, to the point where (for me), they are the best way to play.

Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green

Pokémon Soul Silver/Heart Gold

Metroid: Zero Mission

Resident Evil 2

REmake

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Tony Hawks 1&2

Super Mario All-Stars

Links Awakening

Of those, my favourite would be Zero Mission, which I loved after only playing small parts of other Metroid games. FF7R is the most impressive for how ‘ground up’ it was, but Links Awakening takes second place for me, RE2 in third. 

• Guillotine 1

The only problem I had with Zero Mission (other than it was too easy and progress markers) was that some of the new music wasnt as good as the NES one.. main theme they nailed, not so much the rest...

HeartGold is amazing, my favorite Pokemon product

REmake was great cause red head zombie bastards..

Halo 2 remake is pretty good, though the Halo Combat Evolved was merely ok

Mario 64 DS and Ocarina of Time DS were also great upgrades, just wish they were for the big screen

Ducktale remake was pretty solid..

On a selfish note... A Metal Arms remake would sure be nice

I really liked Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Updated graphics, updated gameplay, updated audio recordings, I thought it was great.

Secret of Monkey Island. Loved being able to flip between whichever graphic style you wanted.

The DS remake of Chrono Trigger. Added cutscenes, new endings, lovely.

Just adding to what’s been mentioned:

Rome Total War Remastered - it fixed the majority of issues from the original that were never able to be fixed, most notably in the diplomacy/governance aspect: there was a bug that made corruption grow each turn with no way to stop it and would make all of your settlements have negative income. The solution was to remove corruption completely as the bug is apparently unfixable, but, if you want, you can turn off the “remastered” for settlements and go back to eternally growing corruption that makes the game almost impossible without cheating :p 

In fact, the only solution I remember was to remove your guarding/occupying troops completely, let the city be lost to rebels, then retake it to reset the corruption.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Just adding to what’s been mentioned:

Rome Total War Remastered - it fixed the majority of issues from the original that were never able to be fixed, most notably in the diplomacy/governance aspect: there was a bug that made corruption grow each turn with no way to stop it and would make all of your settlements have negative income. The solution was to remove corruption completely as the bug is apparently unfixable, but, if you want, you can turn off the “remastered” for settlements and go back to eternally growing corruption that makes the game almost impossible without cheating :p 

In fact, the only solution I remember was to remove your guarding/occupying troops completely, let the city be lost to rebels, then retake it to reset the corruption.

Oh, and one thing I forgot: the devs made it incredibly easy for modders to update their mods, including total conversion mods, to work with the remastered version and have all the AI/Governance benefits apply. Most were good-to-go with remastered versions of mods in 8-12 weeks, including my absolute favorite, “Rome Total Realism”