PC Community Thread

stepee

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I think that stuff all looks cool but I am forever a gamepad only guy unfortunately :P

Everytime you say this, my mind is blown.  I totally get someone doing this while playing on a couch and using a TV though.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

Everytime you say this, my mind is blown.  I totally get someone doing this while playing on a couch and using a TV though.

lol yeah I don’t even own a desk or a monitor! But I also don’t play more pc centric strategy type games either. I do have a handy wireless keyboard/touchpad tray I use though: 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Touch With Easy Media Control and Built-in Touchpad, HTPC Keyboard for PC-connected TV, Windows, Android, Chrome OS, Laptop, Tablet - Black: Keyboards -...

Perfect for my kind of setup.

As much as I like the shape and button layout of Logitech G502, the damn this is just too heavy. I definitely prefer <100g weight. Back in my college days I had a super slick mousepad, but I never went back to the slick setup when the feet and the pad wore down over a not so-long-amount of time. It did feel amazing in Counter-Strike when it was so slick that breathing on it would move a relatively heavy MX510.

However, super annoyingly the last two mice I've bought have developed click problems. Logitech G703 left click randomly doesn't register and scroll wheel will register the opposite direction, and now a Razer Viper scroll wheel is mis-registering up/down.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I think that stuff all looks cool but I am forever a gamepad only guy unfortunately :P

Im over here waiting for something that can do the dualsense haptics (I personally DO like them a lot) wirelessly on pc. Maybe sony finally does that soon with their larger pc push. But due to more common support what I’d really like is MS to have an elite3 with the same tech. I thought that would happen by now tbh.

I defer prefer controller for a lot of games, but FPS I definitely like KBM more. Its tough going back and forth though. Explain to me the PS5 controller on PC. Youre saying that the haptics wont work  unless plugged in? I was planning on playing Ghost of Tushima with the PS5 controller specifically for that reason. I could plug the controller in bc my PC is on my desk, but thats kinda annyoing. 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

For mice, I wanted something uber customizable with lots of accessible buttons.  I purchased the Kickstarter version of the Swiftpoint Z2  offering a ton of buttons, deep click, and gyroscope and tilt.  You can get this mouse to do just about anything you want -- with custom configs that can be setup for each executable.

For a keyboard, I'm not overly picky about different mechanical switches.  I wanted a full keyboard, RGB lighting (I game in a darker space), and not too expensive.  I opted for the K100 as a refurb.  Virtually no wear and open box.  Pricey, but not ridiculous (at the refurb price).

I used the G700 and now G502x because it had a bunch of extra buttons, but I realized I only really use the two on the side, similar to most of these ultralight mice. So I dont think Ill miss the extra buttons with the new mouse. 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

As much as I like the shape and button layout of Logitech G502, the damn this is just too heavy. I definitely prefer <100g weight. Back in my college days I had a super slick mousepad, but I never went back to the slick setup when the feet and the pad wore down over a not so-long-amount of time. It did feel amazing in Counter-Strike when it was so slick that breathing on it would move a relatively heavy MX510.

However, super annoyingly the last two mice I've bought have developed click problems. Logitech G703 left click randomly doesn't register and scroll wheel will register the opposite direction, and now a Razer Viper scroll wheel is mis-registering up/down.

I have nothing else to compare to in regards to weight bc the G700 has to be at least double the G502x. That thing was super heavy. And thats all Ive used for 10+ years. 

I have these two on preorder, I figure I will try both and just sell one on reddit. really love the look of both them. 

WlMouse Beast X Max:

3BF08AAB-5897-4CE2-9E57-BCE395E51D59_1_2

Finalmouse Tarik ULX Pro

s-l500.jpg

18 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I used the G700 and now G502x because it had a bunch of extra buttons, but I realized I only really use the two on the side, similar to most of these ultralight mice. So I dont think I’ll miss the extra buttons with the new mouse. 

I essentially map all the buttons you would have on a controller to the mouse. 
I end up only really using the keyboard for WASD-Space-Shift. 

20 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I defer prefer controller for a lot of games, but FPS I definitely like KBM more. Its tough going back and forth though. Explain to me the PS5 controller on PC. Youre saying that the haptics wont work  unless plugged in? I was planning on playing Ghost of Tushima with the PS5 controller specifically for that reason. I could plug the controller in bc my PC is on my desk, but thats kinda annyoing. 

I used the G700 and now G502x because it had a bunch of extra buttons, but I realized I only really use the two on the side, similar to most of these ultralight mice. So I dont think Ill miss the extra buttons with the new mouse. 

I have nothing else to compare to in regards to weight bc the G700 has to be at least double the G502x. That thing was super heavy. And thats all Ive used for 10+ years. 

I have these two on preorder, I figure I will try both and just sell one on reddit. really love the look of both them. 

WlMouse Beast X Max:

3BF08AAB-5897-4CE2-9E57-BCE395E51D59_1_2

Finalmouse Tarik ULX Pro

s-l500.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately there isn’t an official driver for dualsense on pc and haptics only work if you plug it in. Hopefully since they are porting psvr2 to pc they said..surely dual sense would need to work wirelessly then? So maybe it’ll happen at the end of the year.

You can use the dualsense wirelessly fyi just not the haptics. I still plug it in for things that advertise the feature sometimes but I freakin hate the wire.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, unfortunately there isn’t an official driver for dualsense on pc and haptics only work if you plug it in. Hopefully since they are porting psvr2 to pc they said..surely dual sense would need to work wirelessly then? So maybe it’ll happen at the end of the year.

You can use the dualsense wirelessly fyi just not the haptics. I still plug it in for things that advertise the feature sometimes but I freakin hate the wire.

My guess is that you hate the wire because you’re not at a desk with a monitor. 

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My guess is that you hate the wire because you’re not at a desk with a monitor. 

Having a 20ft cord across my living room is indeed less than ideal! 

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My experience would suggest that a 20 ft USB cable doesn’t even work. 

They do, but you need to pay extra for a certified one, so you’d be looking at $25-30 for a single cable. Cheap ones of those sizes wind up being “charging only” and it’s slow power delivery on top of that. It’s the same with HDMI 2.1 cords; cords above 20 feet need to be certified or there’s noticeable picture degradation and often times they won’t meet the advertised bandwidth.

38 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I found I needed a powered hub in the middle for USB. I don’t think any amount of shielding will get you there. 

I have a 20 foot USB-C cable that works with my DualSense plugged directly into my PC. The cheap $10 one I used prior was nothing but issues.

38 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’ve run a 35 foot HDMI cable in the past with no issues - a relatively expensive one though. 

That’s exactly what I said :p 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I have a 20 foot USB-C cable that works with my DualSense plugged directly into my PC.

Last time I tried a USB run that long, I failed, and had to resort to a powered hub mid-run.  USB spec suggests that long an uninterrupted run shouldn't work.  Maybe it's just the low bandwidth of the DualSense that allowed it.

29 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Last time I tried a USB run that long, I failed, and had to resort to a powered hub mid-run.  USB spec suggests that long an uninterrupted run shouldn't work.  Maybe it's just the low bandwidth of the DualSense that allowed it.

Same with the original HDMI 2.1 spec. They're taking into account the lowest common denominator. Originally the HDMI spec for 2.1 says anything over 15-ish feet would lead to signal degradation, now they certify up to 50 feet. I bought my cable prior to the spec change. Quality matters greatly.

EDIT: My USB-C might be an active cable, I think it was like $30 when I bought it with a 25% off coupon.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

That would make the 4090 -> 5090 jump close to the jump (about 10% away) from 3090 Ti -> 4090

Yeah kinda hard to believe but I didn’t expect the 4000 jump either so who knows! Also I have my fingers cross for frame gen 2.0 with two generative frames per frame 

Just now, stepee said:

Also I have my fingers cross for frame gen 2.0 with two generative frames per frame 

Just make a driver enabled version and not suck like AMD's driver enabled one.

Though, I suppose that would kill PureDark 

:sickos:

Just make a driver enabled version and not suck like AMD's driver enabled one.

Though, I suppose that would kill PureDark 

:sickos:

Oh shit driver level actually would be even better to me than 3 for 1 generation but let’s go for both! DLAA everything let’s gooooo

Just now, stepee said:

Oh shit driver level actually would be even better to me than 3 for 1 generation but let’s go for both! DLAA everything let’s gooooo

There's been rumors of nVidia working on a "driver level" DLSS (upscale, not frame gen) for a few years now.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

There's been rumors of nVidia working on a "driver level" DLSS (upscale, not frame gen) for a few years now.

While that would be nice, a game missing dlss upscale is so rare compared to how many miss frame gen, it wouldn’t really excite me much at this point. Would be great for older games IQ though.

Just now, stepee said:

While that would be nice, a game missing dlss upscale is so rare compared to how many miss frame gen, it wouldn’t really excite me much at this point. Would be great for older games IQ though.

I just want it for Deus Ex Mankind Divided :nottalking:

• Like 1

I just want it for Deus Ex Mankind Divided :nottalking:

It would actually be great for all older AC games, the AA is so bad in all the ones before Mirage

I found an old issue of PC Accelerator from 1999

Back then the top of the line Alienware (Area51) computer was an AMD Athlon 600mhz and an Nvidia TNT2 Ultra, with a 6x DVD Player. Don't forget the essential US Robotoics V.90 56K Fax/Modem :o

System Shock 2 got a 9, the minuses of the game were: The engine is getting old, the learning curve is steep, gun jams and jumping should be more polished

I finally downloaded the nvidia app to replace GeForce Experience. I hate it. :p 

I can’t even sort games with it so they’re all in some random order instead of alphabetical. I also don’t like the change to the fps counter: in GeForce Experience it’s a green counter that literally just shows the number of frames, but with the nvidia app it’s this dim grey color that says “fps:” then the number.

• Sad 1