PC Community Thread

stepee

21 hours ago, stepee said:

One thing i’ve noticed playing some more demanding games on deck like Potter, low settings don’t seem so bad anymore. Seems to at least give you the general look of the game still. Before it seemed like if you went to low it would make it look like a ps2 game and lose all of the intended look. I guess it’s just the baseline is so much higher now, but what’s nice is no matter what the settings now you seem to still get the intended art design of the game.

Yes.  A big part of it is the small size of the screen, though.  Hook the SD up to your 4k monitor, and run it at the same FPS/resolution/settings and you may not have quite the same positive reaction.

23 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yes.  A big part of it is the small size of the screen, though.  Hook the SD up to your 4k monitor, and run it at the same FPS/resolution/settings and you may not have quite the same positive reaction.

That definitely keeps deck versions looking close to the real deal, especially compared to even current gen consoles, but I meant even handheld. Like I started my handheld pc journey with a win1 and then a win2 and you’d have to run everything on low and it would scale them down so much to the point the art direction changed. DQ11 is one I’m thinking back on that just lost everything when you stripped it down. 

Now there’s certain things still gone, like reflections of course if a game has RT for that, but mostly they seem the same just with less polish and pop because the levels of geometry and assets they are scaling down from is starting from such a high point I think. 

22 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The strangest PC-fetish I have stumbled across in a long time are the keyboard fanatics.

Are those the ones who WANT their keyboard to make loud clickety-clackety noises when typing? That always seemed bizarre to me, I'd rather my keyboard makes no sound whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Demut said:

Are those the ones who WANT their keyboard to make loud clickety-clackety noises when typing? That always seemed bizarre to me, I'd rather my keyboard makes no sound whatsoever.

You can build the keyboard with silent switches so no the fetish is not wanting it to clickety clack it's wanting to build it with special keys and doodads.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

The strangest PC-fetish I have stumbled across in a long time are the keyboard fanatics.

1)  I never realized it was possible to spend $800 on a keyboard (and have to assemble it yourself)

2)  Their hate for the number pad is a little strange

3)  I still laugh every time they talk about lubing their switches

The hatred for numpads I also don't understand. If you do any sort of work on your computer besides gaming, numpads are vastly superior compared to the line of numbers above the letters. Hell, some older games (maybe some newer games do this also) that have numpads for entering passcodes, you can use the numpad to type those numbers. OG Deus Ex springs to mind when entering numbers to unlock a door, safe, computer panel, etc. 

I'm actually being too nice about it. Numpads are OBJECTIVELY better than using the other numbers. 

• True 1

To add to my rant, why the likes of Apple don't provide numpads on their entire line of Macbooks is also beyond me. Not sure if someone there has some sort of symmetry fetish where a numpad will ruin the design of the laptop, but they can go fuck themselves. Even Razer doesn't appear to have numpads on any of their laptops either, even their "productivity" laptops. It's idiotic. 

• Halal 1

Building a premade pc online seems super expensive now like they gouge more than they used to. I’m still going to do it because I want to give my Dad my current pc so I’m only taking the nvme’s out of it and just don’t want to deal with any build stuff at all.

But man, I’m trying to set my budget at $2200 before taxes which seems more than generous since I don’t need ssds or a gpu so Im either trying to remove those or get the lowest possible and I can barely hit that with what I want (projecting cost of a 7900x3d by selecting 13900k or 7950x) so I hope the 7900x3d build price isn’t even more crazy at launch for some reason. 

I like all the cooling stuff the Digital Storm ones do though so on those I feel like I’m at least getting SOMETHING. i buy power seems the same price and they just throw it all together.

As someone who just built -- my last build was incredibly easy compared to everything I've done before.  The only thing that I found "fiddly" was screwing in the mother board.  I found using an AIO vs. an air cooler to simply things a lot.

Because this was the first time I installed my own case fans -- I can say the cable routing for 6 RGB case fans is time consuming.

There is no one local that can help you with the build?

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

As someone who just built -- my last build was incredibly easy compared to everything I've done before.  The only thing that I found "fiddly" was screwing in the mother board.  I found using an AIO vs. an air cooler to simply things a lot.

Because this was the first time I installed my own case fans -- I can say the cable routing for 6 RGB case fans is time consuming.

There is no one local that can help you with the build?

There issssss like I could probably just get my Dad to do it since he did the current one and I’m just giving him that. But I kinda A) am anxious to get it going and figure this will be quickest and B) Don’t want to bother anyone with it if I can just throw my tax return at it 

Who knows, maybe I’ll come to my senses and do a part by part build and have someone do it here when I see the final price on the 28th :P

Sooo apparently reviews are going to be on the 27th - can’t remember the last time I was excited for cpu reviews. I really hope the 7900x3d actually is 20-25% faster in gaming than a 13900k, but trying to temper my expectations. Still really wish the 7800x3d came out at the same time. I do want more cores especially to future proof but I hope it doesn’t really make any notable different being on two ccd.

As someone who also assembled his PC entirely from parts for the first time the last time I upgraded, I can only recommend facing your fears and doing so. In hindsight there was nothing to be scared of. It really is pretty much like building with LEGOs and the Internet is flush with helpful tutorials that will cover any and all questions you might have. Plus, you have dozens of veterans here who'd also be happy to help. Sure, since it was my first time doing it and I was double-checking everything it took like 45 minutes until I got it to POST but afterwards I felt like the experience (and cost savings :D) was worth the anxiety.

I probably wouldn't have tried it had the website where I usually ordered not more than doubled the fee for sending you an already pre-assembled, fully installed machine. When it was ~50€ for that service there wasn't really any sense in doing it myself but at a ~120€ price point there was ... to me at least.

I know how to build a pc, I just physically have issues with the motherboard/cpu/cooler part, due to my hand coordination/shakiness. Though I am thinking I could just have my Dad get that part on maybe then I wouldn’t need a lot of his time and could then handle the rest. We will see.

Oh yeah that ssd screw fuck that also lol

I also wonder if best buy will build it for me for like $100-$200 or something but would I trust them? There’s at least one coworker who would probably do it but I just don’t feel like asking anyone idk prob something to do with the feeling of relying on people too much since my leg injury.

It's worth a try. I actually asked a coworker of mine to supervise me since he had done several builds in the past and, again, this was my first one. He didn't really end up needing to do anything other than pointing out a step or two that I accidentally skipped (connecting some cable or other). But it was reassuring just having them there. He got a restaurant visit out of it by the way.

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

I know how to build a pc, I just physically have issues with the motherboard/cpu/cooler part, due to my hand coordination/shakiness. Though I am thinking I could just have my Dad get that part on maybe then I wouldn’t need a lot of his time and could then handle the rest. We will see.

I used an AIO in my build, and the cooler was no problem -- in my previous 2 builds, putting the Air Cooler in was a PITA.

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh yeah that ssd screw fuck that also lol

I also wonder if best buy will build it for me for like $100-$200 or something but would I trust them? There’s at least one coworker who would probably do it but I just don’t feel like asking anyone idk prob something to do with the feeling of relying on people too much since my leg injury.

The ASUS ROG boards no longer have m.2 SSD screws, they have a locking post you twist.

22 minutes ago, Demut said:

It's worth a try. I actually asked a coworker of mine to supervise me since he had done several builds in the past and, again, this was my first one. He didn't really end up needing to do anything other than pointing out a step or two that I accidentally skipped (connecting some cable or other). But it was reassuring just having them there. He got a restaurant visit out of it by the way.

I build a computer every 5 years or so -- and they are SOOO much easier than my first build.  No jumpers to set.  Not having to create a boot disc with my CD-ROM drivers.  No SATA drives.  Only thing that frustrated me was running the RGB/Case fan wires.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:00 PM, imthesoldier said:

The hatred for numpads I also don't understand. If you do any sort of work on your computer besides gaming, numpads are vastly superior compared to the line of numbers above the letters. Hell, some older games (maybe some newer games do this also) that have numpads for entering passcodes, you can use the numpad to type those numbers. OG Deus Ex springs to mind when entering numbers to unlock a door, safe, computer panel, etc. 

I'm actually being too nice about it. Numpads are OBJECTIVELY better than using the other numbers. 

I have to hold back from killing people at work.... Sometimes I'll be helping someone with some loan underwriter shit and they will use the windows calculator, which is fine, but then they use the mouse to click on the numbers and don't use the number pad.... what the actual fuck.

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I used an AIO in my build, and the cooler was no problem -- in my previous 2 builds, putting the Air Cooler in was a PITA.

The ASUS ROG boards no longer have m.2 SSD screws, they have a locking post you twist.

I build a computer every 5 years or so -- and they are SOOO much easier than my first build.  No jumpers to set.  Not having to create a boot disc with my CD-ROM drivers.  No SATA drives.  Only thing that frustrated me was running the RGB/Case fan wires.

Ohh yeah I forgot about how i’m probably going AIO which should make it easier. Ty for the note on ROG, maybe I’ll get that then. Seems like the cpu on motherboard is the main thing left. 

Maybe I’ll just have my Dad help a little with that and go for a full home build.

17 hours ago, Ominous said:

I have to hold back from killing people at work.... Sometimes I'll be helping someone with some loan underwriter shit and they will use the windows calculator, which is fine, but then they use the mouse to click on the numbers and don't use the number pad.... what the actual fuck.

You think that's bad, I have older coworkers who still use Google to type in a website name, and then click on the hyperlink. Not to mention, they still type in "www." beforehand. So it's "www.google.com," enter the website name in the search bar, hit enter, and find the relevant site, and click it. 

Even most if not all browsers now will automatically take you to a search engine by just typing in the words in the address bar, but that's too futuristic for them I guess. 

I even have another coworker who is now semi-retired, and I absolutely blew his mind that I was able to use multiple monitors on my work laptop. I was trying to explain how it works, and even demonstrating how it works, but all he ended up saying is, "I can't do that. I'll stick with a single monitor." Suit yourself I guess. 

And keep in mind, I work at an Engineering firm that does consulting services on construction projects of all kinds. Many still write up their reports in pencil and paper rather than type it up (which eventually get scanned anyway). Thankfully, we're getting more and more digital in our workflow, and our State jobs use Box courtesy of the Department, so accessing those servers is easy peasy with a simple WiFi connection, or if using my Phone's hotspot if I'm being mobile in the field. 

I will still write handwritten notes in the field if needed, but those are my personal notes that'll get transcribed onto an official document afterwards anyway. 

9 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

You think that's bad, I have older coworkers who still use Google to type in a website name, and then click on the hyperlink. Not to mention, they still type in "www." beforehand. So it's "www.google.com," enter the website name in the search bar, hit enter, and find the relevant site, and click it. 

Even most if not all browsers now will automatically take you to a search engine by just typing in the words in the address bar, but that's too futuristic for them I guess. 

I even have another coworker who is now semi-retired, and I absolutely blew his mind that I was able to use multiple monitors on my work laptop. I was trying to explain how it works, and even demonstrating how it works, but all he ended up saying is, "I can't do that. I'll stick with a single monitor." Suit yourself I guess. 

And keep in mind, I work at an Engineering firm that does consulting services on construction projects of all kinds. Many still write up their reports in pencil and paper rather than type it up (which eventually get scanned anyway). Thankfully, we're getting more and more digital in our workflow, and our State jobs use Box courtesy of the Department, so accessing those servers is easy peasy with a simple WiFi connection, or if using my Phone's hotspot if I'm being mobile in the field. 

I will still write handwritten notes in the field if needed, but those are my personal notes that'll get transcribed onto an official document afterwards anyway. 

I’ll admit I still go to google to search instead of using the browser function. Honestly it takes all of 1 extra second and I get tech news on the bottom.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

What bothers me is when I’m giving a direct url and they put it in the search field instead of the url field and keep clicking on ads instead of the site I’m trying to get them to go to.

This is why I prefer having one single bar on my browser. Search bar, address bar. They're all the same. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

What bothers me is when I’m giving a direct url and they put it in the search field instead of the url field and keep clicking on ads instead of the site I’m trying to get them to go to.

People will google another company name, our ad will show up, and they will call our number because they thought they were on the other companies website even though our name and logo and colors are all over it.  

• Haha 1