Layoff Roundup - 30 October 2023 Update: Bungie lays off 8% of its workforce (~100 people) following missed annual revenue target by 45%

Brian

rawImage.jpg
WWW.SFCHRONICLE.COM

It’s the company’s second round of cuts in seven months.

unity laying off 284

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama
T.CO

The layoffs, one of Riot's first-ever publicized reductions in force amid shifting priorities within the company, focus primarily on talent acquisition and recruiting.

Riot 46

I assume this trend will continue since everyone plays follow the leader in these industries. 

Gaming has the double whammy of tech sector shrinkage and entertainment industry shrinkage as the roaring days of Covid cash for consumers and cheap debt for the firms are over.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I checked with one of our former posters who works at MS and he said that while his team was spared, one of his good friends who has worked at MS for 15 years with stellar performance reviews was informed that tomorrow will be his final day.

Performance is rarely used anymore in layoffs.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Performance is rarely used anymore in layoffs.

not unless a manager just really wants to get rid of a person and they’re given the responsibility to choose. 

this instance probably means the selection was made by HR or senior leadership only looking to reduce budget with the most bang. 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The fact that you were the newest employee -- and therefore more than likely the cheapest employee -- is probably the reason.

sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes a newer employee could get hired in at or above others who’ve been there for years, because “market value” for the position has increased and outpaced the company’s annual pay raises. 

Yeah there can be restructuring, in which case entire teams may disappear, and then there are also performance problems where individuals are targeted. And always, the budget is king. I'm just grateful I wasn't cut, especially since I've only been here six months and am just starting to feel like I'm getting my feet under me. 

13 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

not unless a manager just really wants to get rid of a person and they’re given the responsibility to choose. 

this instance probably means the selection was made by HR or senior leadership only looking to reduce budget with the most bang. 

You can fire someone pretty easily for performance problems.

In my experience, in big companies at least, HR realizes that company performance measurement systems aren't robust enough to stand up to a court challenge in a discrimination lawsuit.

27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can fire someone pretty easily for performance problems.

In my experience, in big companies at least, HR realizes that company performance measurement systems aren't robust enough to stand up to a court challenge in a discrimination lawsuit.

some company HR departments make it challenging, almost impossible to let people go for performance. If it’s extreme it can be easier, but some require it usually requires lots of documentation and attempts to get their numbers up. Also needing very defined KPIs to measure. 

essentially a manager would need to show objectively that the employee is underperforming and they’ve exhaustively tried to help get their performance up without any improvement. Not all companies are like this, but I’ve seen it. Even in the state of Texas where they don’t need all that effort. Probably the only performance metric that will walk an employee out the door the quickest with the least effort is attendance. 

but this was all assuming a manager wants to get rid of somebody who is not meeting expected KPIs. Sometimes managers want to get rid of somebody who is not meeting desired KPIs. Like the employee is lowest on the team, but still meeting the bare minimum. In many companies HR will not let a manager fire that person. 

but all bets are off if there is layoffs coming and managers get to/have to choose from their own departments or groups. Because as long as it isn’t something where it looks like the company is laying off only their [insert any 1 protected class here] it will all look above board. The company is shielded a bit. 

• Halal 1

46 minutes ago, Brian said:
FCjYHXAwFY8gw6keGZemLF-1200-80.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

HoloLens, Virtual Reality, and Mixed Reality are all but dead at Microsoft.

Once Congress killed the Army's procurement request, that was the final nail in the coffin.

ivas_hero_image_v3.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

But the company is getting millions to make improvements.

• True 1

44 minutes ago, stepee said:

I gave up on the idea of hololens ever being something that resembled the initial pitch and/or hitting mass market a long time ago so this checks out. I still feel like we are another 5 years out from a good AR product but I’m curious what apple has ready.

It will be the evolution of a phone not VR. 

18 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Never gonna happen as long as you have to put on a helmet. 

Ppl won't even wear light masks to keep from dying bro. 

Oh I agree completely. It needs to get down to the size of swimming goggles, or form fitting ski goggles at best, but there’s definitely a ton of incredible stuff to explore with VR.

But it can’t be compared to something that was turned into a political act by the media (and the government by Fauci first telling people it didn’t work, then doing a 180, which is my only real problem with Fauci’s overall handling of the early pandemic). The two aren’t remotely connected. “I can’t wear a mask because bla bla bla” is basically saying “My team doesn’t wear masks and I want to pretend I have a valid excuse.”

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I might try a listen with Jess gone. Still sucks she’s out of a job, but she made GB worse.

Yeah I hate to be negative and I don't want anybody to lose their job... but I might be more interested in the show now.

I also decided I'm going to sign up for the Giant Bomb premium thing for a month. I ordered an external hard drive and im going to spend the month downloading all the premium videos I'm ever going to be interested in. Feels like every 6-12 months GB is getting chipped away bit by bit. I don't have faith anymore that the website is going to be around for years to come.