Layoff Roundup - 30 October 2023 Update: Bungie lays off 8% of its workforce (~100 people) following missed annual revenue target by 45%

Brian

On 1/25/2023 at 4:21 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Washington Post eliminated the entirety of its Launcher video game/esports section, resulting in 20 layoffs including the phenomenal Gene Park :(

As I understand, he’s one of the few/only people involved who wasn’t laid off.

if he is though, I fully expect him to land at Last Stand Media. He works with them all the time.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

As I understand, he’s one of the few/only people involved who wasn’t laid off.

if he is though, I fully expect him to land at Last Stand Media. He works with them all the time.

Jeff Grubb said they moved him to a lifestyle section of the newspaper or something.

• Thanks 1

gpt-sixteen_nine.jpg?VersionId=EdWlvJcKB
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

ChatGPT is capable of much more than writing. It can effortlessly code, write scripts, and even solve medical questions. However, when I asked ChatGPT if it could ever replace...

ChatGPT's innate ability to quickly churn out well-written, relevant articles made me question the future of my profession as a writer. The quality of the writing was so impressive that it was difficult to distinguish it from that of a human. However, writing is just one of the many things that ChatGPT can do. It can also do other stuff such as coding, solving medical questions and more. Despite its impressive abilities, ChatGPT stated that it could never replace human writers.

22 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

ChatGPT is capable of much more than writing. It can effortlessly code, write scripts, and even solve medical questions. However, when I asked ChatGPT if it could ever replace...

Writers? No.

it could definitely replace games journalists though lol

• True 1

AA16KCoD.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

The woman, who works in the product, sales and strategy ops, has not yet heard from Google about the status of her maternity leave benefits.

Electronic Arts Cancels Secret Apex Legends Game in Development (Bloomberg)

Electronic Arts Inc. canceled a game based on the popular Apex Legends and Titanfall franchises, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The game, which hadn’t been publicly announced, was in production at EA developer Respawn Entertainment. On Tuesday, EA, one of the world’s biggest video game publishers, gave a disappointing outlook for revenue in the current quarter. The company said it was canceling the Apex Legends mobile game as well as a mobile version of Battlefield and shuttered Industrial Toys, the studio behind it. EA also delayed the highly anticipated Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, another title in development at Respawn.  

Management informed the unnamed game’s team of about 50 people that EA will try to find positions for them within the company. Anyone who can’t be placed will be given severance packages and laid off, according to the people familiar with the matter, who asked to speak anonymously because they were not authorized to speak to the press. An EA spokesperson declined to comment.

The canceled project, code-named TFL or Titanfall Legends, was a single-player game set in the universe shared by the Apex Legends and Titanfall games. It was directed by veteran designer Mohammad Alavi until he left the company in early 2022. Although the game hadn’t been advertised, EA had hinted at it several times. 

On 1/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

that’s just what it wants us to believe. 

On 2/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:
GkSvCVh6oCDMhZnGMRb9id-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

"There is no tougher decision, but one we had to make for our long-term health and success," a Dell exec said.

Good thing taxpayers will be subsidizing these companies with that chips bill right?

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:
107010380-1643838094972-gettyimages-1177
WWW.CNBC.COM

Meta is laying off 10,000 more employees following a major round of job cuts in November.

This is the least shocking news. 

Twitter and Facebook are basically doomed. Facebooks active membership can only shrink. II haven't used it in a decade. Teens might have accounts just because, but they definitely aren't using it. Banning Tiktok won't save them, the problem is the product, it's horrible. So basically it's become a place for boomers to yell into echo chambers. I'd bet messenger, a biproduct of facebook, is used by more people than facebook proper does. Maybe that's pure ignorance, I admit I haven't looked deeply into their numbers but quick searches show no growth and dire forecasts. 

• Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...
106950096-1633006013433ss23.jpg?v=168063
WWW.CNBC.COM

The layoffs included employees in the Game Growth group, its San Diego gaming studios, and Prime Gaming, Amazon Games VP Christoph Hartmann wrote in the memo.

Amazon is laying off roughly 100 employees across its video games division, an executive overseeing the unit wrote in a memo to staffers on Tuesday.

The layoffs included employees in the Game Growth group, Amazon's San Diego gaming studio, and Prime Gaming, an offering targeted for members of Amazon's mainstay loyalty program, Christoph Hartmann, vice president of Amazon Games, wrote in the memo. Some staffers have also been reassigned to other projects "that match our strategic focus," Hartmann said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 3:10 PM, crispy4000 said:

They're more committed to the Activision-Blizzard deal than their employees.

I mean, of course they are more committed to a 70bn doll Deal than 121 employees at a small, underperforming studio. It definitely sucks, but this is the tech industry, jobs are temporary.

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, of course they are more committed to a 70bn doll Deal than 121 employees at a small, underperforming studio. It definitely sucks, but this is the tech industry, jobs are temporary.

They have a lot more than 121 salaried employees.

STK095_Microsoft_03.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

CEO Satya Nadella is blaming the rough economy.

I get the reasons, with tech being so down and the deal being so important.  But it's definitely a shitty look.  And doesn't encourage retention.

1685552112196.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

Around 30 roles were cut following critical praise but poor sales of its latest game.

Firaxis Games, the video game studio behind Civilization, has laid off about 30 developers, a source familiar with the studio tells Axios.

Driving the news: The layoffs happened yesterday, as studios are cutting roles across the industry.

What they're saying: The cuts were due to a “sharpening of focus, enhancements of efficiencies, and an alignment of our talent against our highest priorities," a rep for Firaxis publisher 2K Games told Axios.

• Sad 1