Ron DeSantis oversaw torture in Guantanamo.

That would just make chuds like him more. It's the same people who loved Sherrif Joe for being "tough on criminals," when in actuality Sheriff Joe was only in charge of jails, not prisons. The overwhelming majority of people in jails either haven't been convicted of a crime yet or are serving sentences so minor that it's not worth sending them to prison.

But as long as the people getting incarcerated/starved/tortured are some kind of OTHER group, it's out of sight and out of mind.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

I may regret saying this, but I would still rather have him than Trump. 

This is sort of an interesting conundrum for many: is it better to have somebody who is incompetent but more extreme, or somebody who is very competent but less extreme?

I’ve always felt that a competent opponent is the worst outcome

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is sort of an interesting conundrum for many: is it better to have somebody who is incompetent but more extreme, or somebody who is very competent but less extreme?

From what I’ve read, a 2nd Trump term would be far worse than the 1st. Loyalty would be the only characteristic he would pick, and he plans to fire every government employee and replace them with his loyal followers. 

Between his vaccine skepticism, don’t say gay bill, stop woke act, and the whole host of other red meat right wing shit there’s plenty of evidence he is that extreme. He may not be into the petty nonsense and maybe the election denialism that trump is currently fixated on but he’s still a fervent right winger. 

the one to worry about is Youngkin who gets a pass as a moderate from the idiot dc press but is contained by a divided legislature. Fortunately he stands no chance unless the national party does what the state party did and keep the base from actually voting in a primary

• Halal 1

37 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Between his vaccine skepticism, don’t say gay bill, stop woke act, and the whole host of other red meat right wing shit there’s plenty of evidence he is that extreme. He may not be into the petty nonsense and maybe the election denialism that trump is currently fixated on but he’s still a fervent right winger. 

the one to worry about is Youngkin who gets a pass as a moderate from the idiot dc press but is contained by a divided legislature. Fortunately he stands no chance unless the national party does what the state party did and keep the base from actually voting in a primary

Trump’s extremes go way beyond standard fare GOP positions, which is all DeSantis represents.

What a silly post this is :p 

On 12/6/2022 at 7:10 PM, sblfilms said:

He's not less extreme though and he's only marginally more competent.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let me say this as someone who pays close attention to Florida's political situation: he's just as extreme.

My best friend lives there and another friend of mine who does advocacy work both agree. In fact, he's TERRIFIED of a Ron Desantis presidency. My buddy who actually lives there thinks that DeSantis is Scott Walker 2.0. and will fizzle on the national stage.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:49 PM, Massdriver said:

Yeah this is silly. Trump is talking about burning the constitution, election denial, and firing 40,000 federal employees and putting in his own people like a full on autocrat. It’s just not the same until DeSantis says the same type of stuff. 

just because he hasn’t said it doesn’t mean he won’t do it. The scary part about more competent ones, they don’t tell you. They just do it when nobody can stop them. And what Trump proved is that the GOP will cover for any Republican with the nominee or in power. They will sell it HARD. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

just because he hasn’t said it doesn’t mean he won’t do it. The scary part about more competent ones, they don’t tell you. They just do it when nobody can stop them. And what Trump proved is that the GOP will cover for any Republican with the nominee or in power. They will sell it HARD. 

I agree that we should be vigilant. I’m not suggesting helping Ron DeSantis. 

On 12/6/2022 at 10:49 PM, Massdriver said:

Yeah this is silly. Trump is talking about burning the constitution, election denial, and firing 40,000 federal employees and putting in his own people like a full on autocrat. It’s just not the same until DeSantis says the same type of stuff. 

I see it as DeSantis is rational evil while Trump is chaotic evil.  Would you rather have the former corrupt existing institutions or the latter possibly try to overthrow them altogether?

Neither is good but with Trump I could see riots in the street, a total breakdown in civil order and perhaps a refusal to give up power at term’s end, whereas with DeSantis I see a more orderly fascism, and if local political machinery holds up, I think he’d step down (albeit maybe reluctantly) if voted out.

As much as Hungary under Orban sucks, which is probably what DeSantis is going for, I think I’d still take it over an American version of the Cultural Revolution, which I could very well see Trump inciting if elected again.

DeSantis is such a standard fare Republican when it comes to governance that I’m now assuming the board view must be that all Republicans are “extreme”, which OK, not a helpful descriptor then :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

DeSantis is such a standard fare Republican when it comes to governance that I’m now assuming the board view must be that all Republicans are “extreme”, which OK, not a helpful descriptor then :p 

Shook by the bolded

Our GOP update thread is “Official "Look How Insane and Shitty ALL GOP Officials Are" Thread”

I think to sbl’s point, you can kind of put republicans into two categories:

1) Will push bat shit insane rhetoric that is dangerous and try to do as many shitty things against the people as possible 

and

2) Will push bat shit insane rhetoric that is dangerous and try to do as many shitty things against the people as possible and will also also try to take over the government and install an authoritarian regime 

I think Ron fits into the first category and Trump into the second.  

So, I’d probably prefer someone in category 1, if I had to choose. But I also think that more people are aware of that aspect of Trump now and that it’s not popular on a national level, so I kind of want him to be the nominee and ride that gamble.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

There’s also something to be said of Trump’s ineffectualness. I do believe that if DeSantis was President during COVID, more people would have died. He would have forced every state to reopen even when there weren’t vaccines yet.

Now THAT is an interesting what if, because there’s so many things Trump did that fucked us, like disbanding Obama’s pandemic response team and completely ignoring the pandemic playbook that the previous administration left behind.

Trump did those things out of pettiness because he genuinely hated Obama. I don’t think DeSantis would have been THAT petty.

16 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Now THAT is an interesting what if, because there’s so many things Trump did that fucked us, like disbanding Obama’s pandemic response team and completely ignoring the pandemic playbook that the previous administration left behind.

Trump did those things out of pettiness because he genuinely hated Obama. I don’t think DeSantis would have been THAT petty.

Wanna bet?

1670371748289.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

The way he handled 2020 was much more in line with where the GOP is now.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis — should he run for the GOP's 2024 presidential nomination — has an opening to attack former President Trump's COVID response from the right.

The big picture: The federal COVID response has become a red-meat issue for the party's base, and DeSantis' 2020 actions are much more aligned with the GOP's tone today.

• DeSantis has even said he wishes he'd been more vocal in speaking out against the Trump administration's calls for lockdowns early on in the pandemic.
  • "DeSantis is a conservative rock star in large part because of how he handled COVID in Florida," said GOP strategist Alex Conant, who worked on Sen. Marco Rubio's campaign in 2016. "He'll certainly make the implicit contrast with Trump. Whether he makes an explicit contrast at some point depends on how the campaign plays out."

DeSantis' hands-off approach to the pandemic — reopening schools for in-person learning earlier than other states, fighting vaccine mandates and refusing to reimpose restrictions during case spikes — was a key to developing his political brand.

"DeSantis made some decisions early on that the federal response didn't make any sense as applied to Florida," said Joe Grogan, director of the Domestic Policy Council under Trump and a member of Trump's coronavirus task force. "So DeSantis was set up as a foil for the federal government's response."

DeSantisRon_debate2022-1.jpg?strip=1&w=6
WWW.WFLA.COM

Speaking at a private event over the weekend, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said his administration plans to hold vaccine manufacturers accountable for making false claims about vaccine side effects.

Speaking at a private event over the weekend, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said his administration plans to hold vaccine manufacturers accountable for making false claims about vaccine side effects.

“We are going to work to hold these manufacturers accountable for this mRNA [vaccine] because they said there was no side effects, and we know that there have been, and there have been a lot,” DeSantis said at the event.

The governor was referring to studies that have linked an increased presence of myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle, in adolescents and young adult men after receiving a COVID-19 vaccination.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Myocarditis and pericarditis have rarely been reported. When reported, the cases have especially been in adolescents and young adult males within several days after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna).”

DeSantis said a study conducted in Florida came to its own conclusion.

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

People are definitely underrating how crazy DeSantis is.

Give an example of his 'craziness' that shows up in his governance. Not just his rhetorical flourishes.