D1P PSA: nasty data spillage at GameStop website, remove stored credit/debit card info ASAP, update: GS claims that it was a "test" and that "actual" customer data wasn't used

Commissar SFLUFAN

From Wario64's Discord server:

Sorry for the ping but I have some news to share. It seems like GameStop is having caching issues when logging in which results in you seeing other people's account information **WHICH INCLUDE SEEING OTHER PEOPLES CREDIT CARD NUMBERS!!** I recommend removing your credit/debit cards from the website and sticking to only paying with PayPal and gift cards online. This glitch also results in seeing other people's addresses, order history, and points history.

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to D1P PSA: nasty data spillage at GameStop website, remove stored credit/debit card info ASAP
16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't believe I have any credit card info on there. I tried to use a gift card to get a steam card but they wouldn't let me do that so I ended up buying nothing at all!

In-store you can use a gift card for Steam/Xbox/PSN/Nintendo cards. Online won’t let you for digital codes iirc. (Just a heads up if you still have a gift card :p )

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

In-store you can use a gift card for Steam/Xbox/PSN/Nintendo cards. Online won’t let you for digital codes iirc. (Just a heads up if you still have a gift card :p )

Well, it's a bit funny. At the time (and I guess still) Advance Wars was going to come out, so I said I'd just hold on to it for when that drops and well, you know... 😒

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I just exchanged a $75 gift card online for an equivalent PS store card a week ago.  Policies might have changed.

Update:

GameStop’s Customer Care team has responded, claiming that the addresses and names appearing in customers’ accounts were part of a test and “not actual customer data.

“This was immediately fixed the same day it took place,” it told VGC. “This was test data created by our teams, not actual customer data.”

However, an online search suggests that some of the names and addresses that were shown to customers on its website could match real people. VGC has asked if real address data was used.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to D1P PSA: nasty data spillage at GameStop website, remove stored credit/debit card info ASAP, update: GS claims that it was a "test" and that "actual" customer data wasn't used