Top 10 of all time?

stepee

1 hour ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

It's the GOAT and I'm  afraid they are going to screw up the remake of it. Hopefully they don't. 2 and 3 were good but 4 imo doesn't need a remake.

See, I only beat it once on GameCube. My memory sucks but I remember being blown away. Hopefully the remake doesn't fuck it up and I'd gladly put it on my top 10. 

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Literally the game I'm getting into right now.  I'm enjoying the atmosphere almost to a fault, where I just want to play it slow but can't.

Think I'll go do another run right now.

Think of it like Souls games when they first hit. In my eyes Returnal is that fresh in terms of it being its own videogame "language". I know that spunds pompous but it's one of those games that pulls from everywhere and creates its own unholy concoction almost completely.

It's not really a game to just beat to me, it's like if Metroid Prime and Silsnt Hill somehow had a baby with Contra in an arcade or something. It's all about moment to moment gameplay like those old games. Once I beat it, I think I played another 90 hours lol

1. Life is Strange 

2. Kentucky Route Zero

3. The Witcher 3 

4. Disco Elysium 

5. Dooms 2016 and Eternal 

6. Outer Wilds 

7. Slay the Spire

8. Celeste 

9. Elden Ring

10. What Remains of Edith Finch 

I’m excluding competitive multiplayer games because I think they’re too different an experience to compare, but also Dota 2 and StarCraft 2 and Golf With Your Friends.

Just now, stepee said:

Seeing all these Witcher 3 nods makes me excited to finally really dive in!

I remember really liking it after I beat it but it didn't hit me as a top 10. Granted, I was smoking a ton of fuckin weed at that time so I don't recall much. That's why I'm really looking forward to this update. I really want to see what the hype is about. 

In no particular order

Morrowind

Ocarina of Time

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VI

Super Mario Odyssey

Stardew Valley

The Sims 3

The Witcher 3

Grand Theft Auto V

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

I tried to not have more than one game from a single franchise, otherwise there would be a shitload more Mario/Zelda games. The only reason The Sims 3 is in there is because it's my favorite Sims game to play and no one else makes anything else like it. To be honest, I find it shocking. The Sims has routinely been ridiculously successful for over 20 years now, and no developer has even really tried doing anything similar. I wish someone would. The Sims has been a complete buggy mess for the last 15 years.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

1. Life is Strange 

2. Kentucky Route Zero

3. The Witcher 3 

4. Disco Elysium 

6. Outer Wilds 

7. Slay the Spire

8. Celeste 

9. Elden Ring

I’m excluding competitive multiplayer games because I think they’re too different an experience to compare, but also Dota 2 and StarCraft 2 and Golf With Your Friends.

Yeah competitive multiplayer would really mess my list up LoL, MTG Arena, Duelyst, Rainbow Six 3/Black Arrow and fighting games :epilepsy: I also avoided traditional high score games like Geometry Wars. A lot of my list was focused on how I felt when I first played it, how many times have I replayed it and would I still do another playthrough today. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

1. Life is Strange 

2. Kentucky Route Zero

3. The Witcher 3 

4. Disco Elysium 

6. Outer Wilds 

7. Slay the Spire

8. Celeste 

9. Elden Ring

I still want to get into Disco Elysium. I don't know why I haven't.

35 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The only reason The Sims 3 is in there is because it's my favorite Sims game to play and no one else makes anything else like it. To be honest, I find it shocking. The Sims has routinely been ridiculously successful for over 20 years now, and no developer has even really tried doing anything similar. I wish someone would.

spacer.png

:]

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

Are we ranking, or just a general top ten with no specific order?  I thought about this for a bit, and I think my top 10 all time (so far) would be:

Mario Galaxy 1 + 2

Jet Set Radio

Shenmue

Perfect Dark

Halo

Burnout 3

SSX 3

Left 4 Dead

Outer Wilds

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It's tough, because a few of these games really don't hold up well given modern sensibilities (Perfect Dark and Shenmue being the prime examples I think), while others are just as sharp and fun as they were upon release.  There is also stuff I'd love to fit in, like an RE game (either 4 or the remake of 2), or Wii Sports.  I may revise as I think about it more, or if we are supposed to rank them.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still want to get into Disco Elysium. I don't know why I haven't.

It's one of those games that kind of looks like a chore before you play it. Lots of reading, no combat, etc. Yet somehow it manages to drip feed dopamine like an MMO through the skill checks and absurd dialogue options.

10 hours ago, Moa said:

1. Life is Strange 

2. Kentucky Route Zero

3. The Witcher 3 

4. Disco Elysium 

6. Outer Wilds 

7. Slay the Spire

8. Celeste 

9. Elden Ring

You've had a helluva last few years. 

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 4

Burnout 2

Tony Hawks 3

Gears of War 2

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Mass Effect 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

Batman: Arkham Asylum

For a few games, it’s less they were the best things I’ve touched, but I played them a stupid amount (Gears 2, THPS3, Burnout 2), but that list feels good to me.

There are naturally a ton of games I’d like to add in that I’ve played more recently on the Switch and PS5, but I just can’t think of them.