Riven (sequel to Myst) Remake announced

Commissar SFLUFAN

Announcement FAQ:

CYAN.COM

Q: Are you working on a remake of Riven?

A: Yes.

Q: Is it a remaster or a from-the-ground-up modern remake?

A: It is a modern remake.

Q: Is this remake point-and-click only like the original Riven was, or will it be traversable in 3D space?

A: The remake of Riven will be fully traversable in 3D space. Any other supported navigation methods will be announced at a later date.

Q: Why did this take so long? It’s been 25 years!

A: Riven is one of the most highly regarded games in Cyan’s history. We didn’t want to approach it lightly or frivolously. Cyan is a small indie studio. We wanted to make sure we could take on such a difficult, costly and complicated endeavor – and do it well. 

Q: Is this the Starry Expanse Project?

A: No, this is a from-the-ground-up remake of Riven from Cyan. However, the Starry Expanse team did assist in kicking off this project. See our blog post here for more details on that.

Q: Which platforms is it coming to, when it is coming out, what are the system requirements… etc.?

A: We don’t have information to share about that yet.

Q: If I purchased a copy of the original Riven, will I get a free copy of this remake?

A: Thank you for your support over the years! But, no. This new Riven is not an update or upgrade, it is a modern from-the-ground-up remake that has required (and will continue to require) a substantial investment of resources.

Q: I must know more! Where can I find out more information about this new version of Riven?!

A: The best way to keep up with the development process is to subscribe to our Cyan Insider newsletter, as we typically share the latest news with our subscribers first!

I liked the remake of Myst that came out a while back, but I got absolutely nowhere in it. I thought, when I played the original Myst back in the day, that maybe I was just too dumb to figure out the puzzles. But, after years and years of playing and completing other puzzle games, I realized that the ones in Myst were just stupid.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Derek said:

Who owns the rights to the Zork series now? I think it would be fun to have a remake of Return to Zork. I remember playing it in after school 'Computer Class' before they got in trouble for putting one copy on all 20-some computers. 

Currently tht would be Activision/Blizzard, so shortly...maybe Microsoft? 

43 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

These are games I always think I’ll like, but then I get frustrated like 30 minutes in and give up. 

Myst was one of the game that got me into pc gaming.  Played the heck out of it at my grandma's house.  Even with the strategy guide I feel like I barely made progress.

16 hours ago, Derek said:

Who owns the rights to the Zork series now? I think it would be fun to have a remake of Return to Zork. I remember playing it in after school 'Computer Class' before they got in trouble for putting one copy on all 20-some computers. 

Oh damn, I forgot about Zork.

We used to play a text game called Whatsits in class, which was a program where you bought and sold Whatsits.