Gotham Knights & Plauge's Tale suggest 30fps / 40fpsVRR future for current consoles

crispy4000

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Heck if it’s as good as a single player 3D beat ‘em up as Avengers was I’ll actually be pleasantly surprised!  @skillzdadirecta

Yeah review scores are irrelevant to me to the point of not having any impact on whether or not I buy or enjoy a game. I got MORE than my money's worth playing Avengers because that's exactly how I played it. In fact, that's what the game SHOULD have been instead of some half assed live service thing. The core mechanics were great and it had a decent story and great graphics. It stumbled on trying to be superhero Destiny in my opinion.  This isn't necessarily trying that. It's focus seems to be the single player experience with multi player co-op thrown in as a bonus. I am concerned about somethings I've seem regarding the gameplay, but not to the point of canceling my preorder. I'm glad one of the previews I read said to nor expect another Arkham game from a gameplay perspective.  That definitely tempers expectations for me. The question is whether or not this new system is as good as the previous one. I'll see soon. One last thing, we already had an official thread for this game and I'm not sure why started a new one, but maybe we should merge the two for when reviews start to hit tomorrow for those that care? Just a suggestion. 

• Halal 1

Reviews coming in. 

0178072107f961eee9e81c3c5c0d7ab2-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

Gotham Knights for Xbox Series X game reviews & Metacritic score: Batman is dead. It is now up to the Batman Family - Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin - to protect...

68% so far. 

Im definitely going to play this, but im going to wait.

On 10/18/2022 at 2:06 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not sure that publicly insulting the technical capabilities (as accurate as that insult may be) of one of the products of your hardware partners necessarily counts as a "smart" business decision.

Were we really expecting smart decisions to come from a WB house in this, the two thousand and twenty second year of our lord? :p

• Haha 1

Microsoft could shut down all the Series S hate from the developers if they'd release some first-party shit already. It's their job to show what their hardware can do, and we've all been sitting back waiting.

That being said.... Forza Horizon 5 looks amazing, has a huge map, blasts along at high speeds with a solid framerate, and has tons of other players on it at the same time. I don't really know if their "potato" comment holds much water.

PC owners, of course, won't be locked to 30fps. Gotham Knights' Steam page notes that it can hit 60fps at low settings in 1080p using a GTX 1660 Ti/Radeon RX 590 and a Core i5-9600K/Ryzen 5 3600.

Now, I'm not as tech-oriented as I used to be, so I don't know how those specs compare to the specs in a Series S... but I do know how they compare to MY PC, which I have been told falls roughly in between a Series S and a Series X in terms of performance power, and the specs above are well below my PC.

45 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Now, I'm not as tech-oriented as I used to be, so I don't know how those specs compare to the specs in a Series S... but I do know how they compare to MY PC, which I have been told falls roughly in between a Series S and a Series X in terms of performance power, and the specs above are well below my PC.

Yeah whoever made that claim is full of it. Heck even Cyberpunk can hit 60 on the Series S.

• 4 weeks later...

It entirely subjective if Series S is holding back the generation as any hardware you have to design for will add constraints based on its capability. It then just matters where the generation was heading anyway, what level of pc they still want to target, what tech is currently available, where they want to push games.

The main thing with Series S though is that they kept the cpu intact. So when games are held back there, Series S doesn’t matter. And GPU is highly scalable, so honestly ram probably hits before that too even though that is the biggest difference. 

It probably holds it back a little is what I’d think, than if it just didn’t exist, but not in any meaningful way.

10 hours ago, stepee said:

The main thing with Series S though is that they kept the cpu intact. So when games are held back there, Series S doesn’t matter. And GPU is highly scalable, so honestly ram probably hits before that too even though that is the biggest difference. 

It probably holds it back a little is what I’d think, than if it just didn’t exist, but not in any meaningful way.

DF did suggest that Series S could force devs to make more creative use of the SSD to deal with the RAM shortcomings.  And that those benefits will be paid forward to the big boy machines.

... It's a nice thought, at least.  Kind of doubt this is where things will end up.  As I've said elsewhere, I'm expecting devs will turn apathetic toward Series S optimization as the gen goes on.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If their previous video is any indication then it's the Devs that are the problem not the consoles. They developed Gotham Knights like its the early 2000s with high CPU dependency and even showed the GPU really made no difference.

Sounds like the Matrix UE5 demo. ;)