Gotham Knights & Plauge's Tale suggest 30fps / 40fpsVRR future for current consoles

crispy4000

Console gamers have been spoiled for a while, could 'quality mode’ only be the eventual future on these platforms?  Elden Ring also deserves a dishonorable mention here for missing its 60fps target so often.  But that’s not so surprising given From’s history.

Anything I’m forgetting?  I’m also very curious to see how this game holds up on Series S.

Yes the resetera thread is highly entertaining. Half those people making it seem like end of the world probably “couldn’t tell the difference” 2 years ago lmao.

But yeah Id expect it to continue to happen more and and more until 30fps is the base target and 60fps is the target for the “pro” systems.

A few games that they can’t “boycott” as easily as a batman universe game people aren’t too excited about in the first place and they’ll get over it.

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Console gamers have been spoiled for a while, could 'quality mode’ only ne the eventual future on these platforms?  Elden Ring also deserves a dishonorable mention here for missing its 60fps target so often.  But that’s not so surprising given From’s history.

Anything I’m forgetting?  I’m also very curious to see how this game holds up on Series S.

I believe the medium and the quarry are 30fps only?

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Honestly, that doesn't bode well for PC performance, because that kind of reads like "we ain't optimizing this piece of shit."

If it's on Game Pass I'm happy to check it out, if not I'll give it the ol' Steam 2 hour try. 

I remember their first extended demo had steep frame drops when the particle effects got busy.  Pre-release, obviously.  But they definitely needed to get that under control.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

But yeah Id expect it to continue to happen more and and more until 30fps is the base target and 60fps is the target for the “pro” systems.

This sucks but you're absolutely correct. Once true next-gen titles start utilizing the full power on the consoles it will only hit 30fps.

I just was hoping there would always be a performance mode for titles to run at 60 but like you said, it's the Pro versions that will offer that.

I'm already getting spoiled with 60 so it will be tough to swallow running games at 30. 

Especially the unreal engine titles. 

• True 1

Never had any real interest in this one, but this still kinda sucks.    Hell if it's locked to 30, may as well have not cancelled those PS4/XB1 versions.

I can deal with 30, but being a long time PC gamer, playing 60+  FPS on a regular basis can spoil you.   Besides that, this game graphically doesn't look THAT good.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Never had any real interest in this one, but this still kinda sucks.    Hell if it's locked to 30, may as well have not cancelled those PS4/XB1 versions.

Actually, that could be a great reason to cancel the last gen versions.  Even some heavier last-gen games like Avengers and Watch Dogs Legion should have never seen a One S release.  There’s a point where it’s simply unacceptable / beyond the hardware.

On 10/15/2022 at 6:52 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe this will answer @Phaseknox question of why it won't come to last gen consoles. It will barely run on current gen consoles! :p

I’ve been noticing lately with cross-gen PS4 games that they’ve been having this somewhat blurry layer of Vaseline smeared over the TV screen look to them as if they’re being displayed in low resolution. I first noticed it with Dying Light 2, and then with Saints Row, Star Ocean: The Devine Force, Valkyrie Elysium and most recently with Asterigos: Curse of the Stars which I’m playing now.

They thankfully fixed it in Dying Light 2 so I know that it has something to do with how the games are being ported to last gen consoles instead of their hardware limitations, because none of the other games that I mentioned are graphical powerhouses by any means. Horizon Forbidden West by comparison doesn’t have this problem, and it’s technically a much more advanced game both visually and world design than any of these games. Heck, games like Asterigos: Curse of the Stars and Valkyrie Elysium almost look like PS3/Xbox 360 generation games. So there’s no reason for this, and it has been upsetting me because it just comes across like the devs of these games either don’t know or don’t care how to fix this issue when it’s obviously an issue that can be fixed as Techland has proven with Dying Light 2.

It’s making me not even want to buy cross-gen games for PS4 anymore, because I feel like I’m getting the short end of the stick despite paying the same amount of money for them. While I of course don’t expect them to have all of the same visual bells and whistles and higher framerates of the current gen and PC versions of the games, I do expect them to at least look and perform as good as I know that they can on the hardware.

There’s just no excuse for the blurry and smeary low resolution look that these games have been having on last gen consoles, it hinders my enjoyment of them because it’s a constant annoyance that’s always there while playing. A constant unnecessary annoyance that shouldn’t be there. And I shouldn’t have to wait to play them on current gen consoles just for them to look and perform as good as they should on last gen consoles, because games like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Far Cry 6, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Horizon Forbidden West, The Last of Us Part II, Red Dead Redemption II, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy, etc. look better on PS4 than any of these games do on PS5. It’s a bunch of BS.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Gotham Knights & Plauge's Tale suggest 30fps / 40fpsVRR future for current consoles
On 10/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, Brian said:

A developer that is struggling with its game is targeting 30fps is not shocking. I think the trend of having a performance and fidelity mode will continue throughout the Gen. Having one game mode will be the new sign that a game is underbaked. 

I think it's more of a better graphics sell games more. So when better effects, textures, etc at 30FPS vs worse effects but faster FPS loses out. I can imagine 1st party games offering that and certain big 3rd party games but over all they probably will aim for better graphics at 30FPS.

Once games start targeting next gen it just won’t be as easy as lowering the native res, especially if say, you are already at 1440p. I think there will be far more 60fps games than previous generations and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sony/MS games maintain performance modes…until the pro consoles come out, then forget about it. 

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

I think it's more of a better graphics sell games more. So when better effects, textures, etc at 30FPS vs worse effects but faster FPS loses out. I can imagine 1st party games offering that and certain big 3rd party games but over all they probably will aim for better graphics at 30FPS.

Do they? I feel like many of the most popular and successful games lately do not focus on visuals much at all.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

40fps VRR is seriously great. I’d be okay with that over 30fps.

I think that's how I'm playing Forbidden West and Ratchet and Clank. I played Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales with 40fps. If I'm actually correct here. I'm not knowledgeable with tech anymore.

Just now, best3444 said:

I think that's how I'm playing Forbidden West and Ratchet and Clank. I played Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales with 40fps. If I'm actually correct here. I'm not knowledgeable with tech anymore.

Those games all support that option so you probably are! Great way to do it on that oled.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I am. 40fps is perfectly acceptable to me and is pretty damn smooth. I know for you 40fps is an utter joke. 

Eh, it’s all just relative to the platform. I still gotta play those Sony exclusives on console for now so I’m thankful for 40hz.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I learned that 30 FPS is all the human eye can see from pretty much every console only gamer for all of the 1990s and through most of the 2010s, so I don't think this is a big deal to most of "you people".

This is why it’s so funny how it’s exactly what we pictured would happen! Give them a little taste and all of the sudden it’s a big deal now.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
2022-10-17-ts3_thumbs-47d.jpg
WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

Gotham Knights executive producer Fleur Marty recently confirmed via Discord that the game would be locked at 30fps@4K on the Xbox Series X/S and PS5. The title...

Fuck the Xbox Series S, that piece of shit console shouldn’t even exist.

• True 1