Kroger to buy Albertsons for $20 billion

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

The combined supermarket chains’ ad networks for marketers could benefit from increased reach and consumer data.
6349635bf900fa001814e736?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The merger would create one of the largest grocery store chains in the US — combined, the Kroger and Albertsons operate 4,996 stores nationwide.

Albertson’s bought out all the A&P’s in the North Jersey area many years ago and turned them into ACME’s, which are such fucking hot garbage supermarkets it fucking boggles my mind. I always tell people that I’m pretty sure they are drug fronts because they are all empty and yet not one ever closes. I wonder what will happen now.

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I worked for Albertsons for about a year in college stocking the shelves at night. That shit sucked. But I’d much rather go there than Walmart or Safeway. Then WinCo became a thing and that’s the only place to be if you’re in the west. 

I always liked Safeway more than Albertsons. Albertsons was the fancy store. 

23 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Really? Safeway was the fancy store in my neck of the woods. 

Same.  

I do wonder what will happen to small towns that have ONLY an Albertsons/Safeway store and Kroger store.  The last little town we lived in Oregon had a Safeway and a Fred Meyer (Kroger brand), and that was about it - and they were only separated by maybe a quarter mile.  

9 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I worked for Albertsons for about a year in college stocking the shelves at night. That shit sucked. But I’d much rather go there than Walmart or Safeway. Then WinCo became a thing and that’s the only place to be if you’re in the west. 

They opened a winco near me in the past couple of years but I've never gone.