Abbott and Desantis are scum, News at 11

7 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

This is a mindless publicity stunt to stoke the culture war, so if you’re going to answer it with another mindless publicity stunt, don’t even limit yourself to immigration.

Relocate the migrants to a halfway decent asylum facility, if one exists, then fly in a helicopter to DeSantis’s mansion and deliver him a bill for all the money Florida owes blue states like Massachusetts for their *de facto* subsidizing of the state’s finances. (It will be a sum way beyond the state’s capacity to repay)

This will also accomplish nothing, but actually solving problems isn’t what stunts like the one DeSantis pulled here are about.  And if we’re truly in the Late Empire stage, we have nothing left to do except engage in self-defeating neanderthaline political food-fights anyway.

Doing that is just using these people are political pawns. They've already gone through enough. Just give them greens cards, apologize on behalf of DeSantis, and wish them the best while sending them to where it is they actually wanted to go. If that's Florida, send them back to Florida, but with a green card. If that's Massachusetts, let them stay in Massachusetts, but with a green card. The green card is just a way to make amends for them getting caught up in our bullshit immigration system and being used as political pawns by bad faith actors. Not having to deal with this shit anymore is the least we, as a nation, can do for them.

The fact that if you continuously do this, DeSantis and his ilk will immediately put an end to the farce is just icing. There are already plenty of conservatives upset about this because they believe DeSantis sent undocumented immigrants further inland rather than having them deported. Sure, they weren't here illegally, but that's not what right wing media has been telling them for decades now.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Doing that is just using these people are political pawns. They've already gone through enough. Just give them greens cards, apologize on behalf of DeSantis, and wish them the best while sending them to where it is they actually wanted to go. If that's Florida, send them back to Florida, but with a green card. If that's Massachusetts, let them stay in Massachusetts, but with a green card. The green card is just a way to make amends for them getting caught up in our bullshit immigration system and being used as political pawns by bad faith actors. Not having to deal with this shit anymore is the least we, as a nation, can do for them.

The fact that if you continuously do this, DeSantis and his ilk will immediately put an end to the farce is just icing. There are already plenty of conservatives upset about this because they believe DeSantis sent undocumented immigrants further inland rather than having them deported. Sure, they weren't here illegally, but that's not what right wing media has been telling them for decades now.

Was not being serious, sorry if that wasn’t clear.  Clearly just doing more political stunts will only make things worse, and entice the alt-right into an even nastier retaliation.

Yeah, I could see giving them green cards in that manner.  I could also see giving them refugee status; and I could also see giving them temporary asylum in a clean and well-secured facility, before taking them safely back to the safest region of their country, while giving them proper food, water and clothing during their temporary stay and on the trip back.

I think the latter two represent the only viable long-term political options. (in addition to supporting efforts to stabilize their home countries)

6 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Legitimately if Biden really wants to make a statement he needs to bring the feds down on DeSantis for human AND child trafficing make an example out of this motherfucker.

It’s neither of those things, though.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It’s neither of those things, though.

Pretty sure you're correct here. It would only be trafficking if these folks were in the country illegally or were being moved for illegal purposes. They aren't and they weren't.

A savvy enough attorney could probably argue abduction by deception, but they were all freely left to their own devices without any harm done to them. You'd be hard pressed to find someone up for taking the case. You might be able to argue the DHS agents falsified government records, but I don't think that's actually criminal in this case. Pretty sure it would just be an administrative issue and they could lose their jobs over it. SCOTUS has already ruled they have qualified immunity, so they couldn't be sued either.

All resolutions here should focus on making things right for the migrants that were deceived.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

All resolutions here should focus on making things right for the migrants that were deceived.

This for sure. It is terrible how these people have been treated and the goal should be restitution to them.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pretty sure you're correct here. It would only be trafficking if these folks were in the country illegally or were being moved for illegal purposes. They aren't and they weren't.

A savvy enough attorney could probably argue abduction by deception, but they were all freely left to their own devices without any harm done to them. You'd be hard pressed to find someone up for taking the case. You might be able to argue the DHS agents falsified government records, but I don't think that's actually criminal in this case. Pretty sure it would just be an administrative issue and they could lose their jobs over it. SCOTUS has already ruled they have qualified immunity, so they couldn't be sued either.

Human trafficking involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are trafficked worldwide – including right here in the United States. It can happen in any community and victims can be any age, race, gender, or nationality. Traffickers might use violence, manipulation, or false promises of well-paying jobs or romantic relationships to lure victims into trafficking situations.

Language barriers, fear of their traffickers, and/or fear of law enforcement frequently keep victims from seeking help, making human trafficking a hidden crime.

Traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to lure their victims and force them into labor or commercial sexual exploitation. They look for people who are susceptible for a variety of reasons, including psychological or emotional vulnerability, economic hardship, lack of a social safety net, natural disasters, or political instability. The trauma caused by the traffickers can be so great that many may not identify themselves as victims or ask for help, even in highly public settings.

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/what-human-trafficking

They used false promises of jobs to get these people onto the planes. The only thing missing is that they weren't looking to bang or enslave the migrants. So yeah maybe what you charge DeSantis with isn't human trafficking, but seems close enough that we should ignore the AKSHUALLY comments when discussing this in the court of public opinion.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/what-human-trafficking

They used false promises of jobs to get these people onto the planes. The only thing missing is that they weren't looking to bang or enslave the migrants. So yeah maybe what you charge DeSantis with isn't human trafficking, but seems close enough that we should ignore the AKSHUALLY comments when discussing this in the court of public opinion.

What he did was follow the playbook of human traffickers, but he didn't actually traffick anyone since he just dumped them on the side of the road. Trafficking would be promising them work and then dumping them, illegally, on the wrong side of the Canadian border. Trafficking would be dumping them at Agape in Missouri and forcing them to work.

I think, in this case, it's silly to imagine a scenario where DeSantis goes to jail. That's just never going to happen. Even Giuliani could get him out of those charges if DOJ were to pursue them.

The real solution is to take the fun out of DeSantis and Abbott's sails. Be super nice, super accommodating, and make sure none of them are ever at risk of being deported. NYC and the folks at Martha's Vineyard already did their part. They fed them and gave them all a roof to sleep under. The White House should step up next and make things right for them all.

Transporting people under false pretenses is just a crappy thing to do, it isn’t human trafficking. A very necessary part of that crime is what you do with the victims, particularly labor or sex slavery in federal law.  A person doesn’t even have to transport a person any notable distance to get charged with trafficking, it’s the labor and sex slavery that will get them charged. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wait wait wait wait. Did I miss this piece of news in previous articles? I thought these were migrants living in Florida. DeSantis picked up these guys from Texas first, brought them to Florida, and then sent them off to Martha's Vineyard?

If I recall correctly, he charted a flight directly from San Antonio to Martha’s Vineyard. 

55 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

If I recall correctly, he charted a flight directly from San Antonio to Martha’s Vineyard. 

The sheriff in the video is claiming they were brought to Florida and then out to Martha's Vineyard. I guess I missed the detail that DeSantis wasn't even moving around migrants living in Florida.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

The sheriff in the video is claiming they were brought to Florida and then out to Martha's Vineyard. I guess I missed the detail that DeSantis wasn't even moving around migrants living in Florida.

Florida's a pretty long raft ride from Venezuela.

Spoiler

I actually hadn't connected the pieces here myself tbh.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Florida's a pretty long raft ride from Venezuela.

Reveal hidden contents

Well the largest community of Venezuelan immigrants in the country IS in Florida. I just assumed he picked them up in his own state.

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wait wait wait wait. Did I miss this piece of news in previous articles? I thought these were migrants living in Florida. DeSantis picked up these guys from Texas first, brought them to Florida, and then sent them off to Martha's Vineyard?

Yes, they came from Texas, these 50 Venezuelan migrants. They were sent to Crestview Florida, where that airport wasn't told they were getting migrants from Texas, and then shipped to Massachusetts.

And it cost Florida taxpayers $615k to ship immigrants from Texas to Massachusetts.