Fitness & Nutrition

SuperSpreader

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

@stepee's injury does not make Satan's sidewalk any less boring. 

But it does make running outside for exercise not an option! And there’s also a million other things I dislike about doing exercise outside and the fact that it’s just not good for you. 

Then again, I never found running to be exactly “exciting” before the injury either. You just listen to music and do your thing idk, the point is exercise not to be entertained.

43 minutes ago, stepee said:

But it does make running outside for exercise not an option! And there’s also a million other things I dislike about doing exercise outside and the fact that it’s just not good for you. 

Then again, I never found running to be exactly “exciting” before the injury either. You just listen to music and do your thing idk, the point is exercise not to be entertained.

Running is bliss. Fresh air is great. 

I get plenty of fresh air when I’m outside doing things besides prematurely destroying my body with high impact exercise! But, it doesn’t matter, because I didn’t have the option of running and walking for exercise takes forever to get the same benefit and this is so much easier on my feet.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I get plenty of fresh air when I’m outside doing things besides prematurely destroying my body with high impact exercise! But, it doesn’t matter, because I didn’t have the option of running and walking for exercise takes forever to get the same benefit and this is so much easier on my feet.

Can't speak to your experience and accident, but running being bad for you is...not actually all it's cracked up to be.

WWW.NM.ORG

Northwestern Medicine orthopaedic physicians discuss common ailments that affect runners, including iliotibial syndrome and patellofemoral syndrome, and how to treat them.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Many doctors see osteoarthritis as a “wear-and-tear” condition, but a large survey among long-distance runners found no increased knee or hip risks.

15 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Can't speak to your experience and accident, but running being bad for you is...not actually all it's cracked up to be.

WWW.NM.ORG

Northwestern Medicine orthopaedic physicians discuss common ailments that affect runners, including iliotibial syndrome and patellofemoral syndrome, and how to treat them.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Many doctors see osteoarthritis as a “wear-and-tear” condition, but a large survey among long-distance runners found no increased knee or hip risks.

Well besides like…all the other evidence that it is at the very least not as good for you as lower impact exercise, the fact that I didn’t get a treadmill to begin with and got something that does a full body workout in a way that running itself does not, and the fact that my leg is no longer capable of bending in a position for a normal running stride, or how dangerous it would be for me to run outside due to the drop foot condition from the accident, how much more dangerous that would be once it starts raining, how terrible exercising in the heat with the sun on you is, and the sheer convenience of not having to even get dressed let alone leave my house to do my exercise, and just that I personally fucking hate running outside and don’t find it fun at all and find being able to watch tv much more entertaining than running around a park where I once was ran over, I feel pretty foolish for getting an elliptical instead of just jogging outside. 

56 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Hug it out, and yea stationary exercise is still boring. I could never do it. :shrug:
I'd rather play games on Xbox Series S on a 720p TV than use my exercise bike or use a treadmill / elliptical machine for more than 30 minutes. 

I’d rather play a PS1 on a black and white television than exercise. 

6 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I wish I lived in a world where swimming pools were 24/7 (with a life guard) because that’s the ultimate. Sadly they’re only open for the exact hours I’m working.

No 24/7 gyms there? My primary gym has a pool you can use at 3am if you want.

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So I know I’m still a beginner but damn it’s crazy to me just how much minor changes in form can affect how your body handles weight. Like just adjusting the width of my grip on the bench but just like an inch or two changes how focused the workout is on my chest vs triceps 

Think about in relation to levers. The further the load is away from the pivot the more force needs be applied to move the load. 

in bodybuilding we call it “hitting the muscle from all angles” which doesn’t just mean different exercises but different hand/foot placement as it massively changes the way the load is moved.

• Halal 2

On 9/17/2023 at 4:50 PM, stepee said:

Well besides like…all the other evidence that it is at the very least not as good for you as lower impact exercise, the fact that I didn’t get a treadmill to begin with and got something that does a full body workout in a way that running itself does not, and the fact that my leg is no longer capable of bending in a position for a normal running stride, or how dangerous it would be for me to run outside due to the drop foot condition from the accident, how much more dangerous that would be once it starts raining, how terrible exercising in the heat with the sun on you is, and the sheer convenience of not having to even get dressed let alone leave my house to do my exercise, and just that I personally fucking hate running outside and don’t find it fun at all and find being able to watch tv much more entertaining than running around a park where I once was ran over, I feel pretty foolish for getting an elliptical instead of just jogging outside. 

On 9/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, Ominous said:

Hug it out, and yea stationary exercise is still boring. I could never do it. :shrug:
I'd rather play games on Xbox Series S on a 720p TV than use my exercise bike or use a treadmill / elliptical machine for more than 30 minutes. 

I'm an avid runner and (not avid) physical therapist, and I have to say there's a lot of misinformation and bad info out there about running, not only from non-runners but a lot of bullshit accepted by runners as well. 

Like so many things, something being "bad" or "good" for you comes with so many caveats and things you have to consider that it's tough to speak to in general terms. 

Stepee it sounds like you have a good understanding of your body and it's a bit cliche but the best exercise is the exercise you'll actually do. 

But yeah just to voice some pet peeves of mine, like I'll have overweight people fresh off their 4th knee surgery lecture me as I am supposedly treating them professionally tell me that running is hard on your knees or will wear them out or whatever... and I have to lightly push back and try to steer the conversation back to hey can you literally do this extremely simple exercise that is like 4 steps away from just doing a basic squat? 

Or like the running world is predisposed to falling for chicanery like for a while it was the barefoot trend, I feel like the zone 2 hype recently has just gone off the rails to some degree, etc. 

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm an avid runner and (not avid) physical therapist, and I have to say there's a lot of misinformation and bad info out there about running, not only from non-runners but a lot of bullshit accepted by runners as well. 

Like so many things, something being "bad" or "good" for you comes with so many caveats and things you have to consider that it's tough to speak to in general terms. 

Stepee it sounds like you have a good understanding of your body and it's a bit cliche but the best exercise is the exercise you'll actually do. 

But yeah just to voice some pet peeves of mine, like I'll have overweight people fresh off their 4th knee surgery lecture me as I am supposedly treating them professionally tell me that running is hard on your knees or will wear them out or whatever... and I have to lightly push back and try to steer the conversation back to hey can you literally do this extremely simple exercise that is like 4 steps away from just doing a basic squat? 

Or like the running world is predisposed to falling for chicanery like for a while it was the barefoot trend, I feel like the zone 2 hype recently has just gone off the rails to some degree, etc. 

Yeah that all makes sense. I was mostly just ribbing Ominous because he was being ridiculous since it’s not even the same exercise and I can’t run normally any more!

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:08 PM, Paperclyp said:

I'm an avid runner 

I'm team no stretch here, but think the zone 2 stuff is just effective for people that are typically over training. RSD 27363....cool story, when can you rest and recover doing that? If you don't push yourself you won't really grow. 

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

I'm team no stretch here, but think the zone 2 stuff is just effective for people that are typically over training. RSD 27363....cool story, when can you rest and recover doing that? If you don't push yourself you won't really grow. 

That's probably a good summary in a nutshell. I have recently been experimenting with zone 2 because I probably am one of those who chronically over trains for my running. And I have been really enjoying it actually. When you get into the proposed science behind it it gets a little bit too specific / prescriptive I guess for my liking, like trying to maximize your mitochondria and whatnot, and then the guys who are really pushing it are just very prescriptive. Like this is what you must do. 

• 5 weeks later...

Woah.  Haven't seen this thread in a while.  Plenty to share from over the past 6-12 months:

1) Competed in my first two Strongman competitions - went novice class considering they were my first and I'm competing at the age of 46.  Was not dissatisfied to come in 3rd for each, and absolutely love competing in the Strongman community.  Everyone is striving to win at a comp, but at the same time, everyone is cheering everyone else on to do their best.  Awesome, awesome atmosphere.  Between the two shows, I've: thrown a 50# sandbag clear of an 18' high bar; finished an ascending frame deadlift run starting at 480; increasing in 50# increments, topping out at 680#; completed a press medley which included a 120# circus dumbbell, 185# log press, and a 205# axel bar clean and press for (6) reps; completed a 550# frame carry/push circuit (90 feet each way), lifted 225#/245#/265# Atlas Stones to platforms at 60"/56"/52", completed a max log press of 250#, completed a max axel wheel (16" elevation) of 675#, and completed an ascending yoke pick round starting at 600#, topping out at 950# done for reps.

I have another comp scheduled for next weekend which I'm hoping to do well enough in, but my peaking/practice work isn't as on point as I'd like, since my last comp was last weekend, and I'd devoted a lot of training time prepping for that.  Also signed up for a comp in April of next year, which I am planning on competing in the 220# men's open MW class.

Since I resumed training in May 2022, I'm now down about 90 lbs of fat, and up about 18-20 lbs of muscle.  My last two training blocks, first of which started in February, have paid off extraordinarily - my Squat PR is the only one which has remained somewhat flat at ~510 (which isn't surprising since I spent several months trying to work through/around a hip injury), but my bench PR is up to 385, OHP PR up to 255, and deadlift PR is at 575, all of which are huge jumps from this time last year, especially since I was about 35 lbs heavier then.

Part of my training included resuming high volume kettlebell work, started with averaging about 900 swings per day in September, jumped up to ~1600/day for October when I was pushing to complete 50k swings for the month.  Really feels like the high volume KB work (mostly done interval style) has exploded my work capacity while also helping me continue to chizzle away at the fat I'd accumulated since becoming pretty sedentary back in March 2020.  Also nice seeing my resting heart rate down in the high 50's/low 60's.

Starting a new powerbuilding macrocycle at the end of the month, which will last until my peaking work for the April comp starts in mid February.  Main workouts are four day U/L/U/L split, with two other days spent doing some strongman event prep type work (power cleans, loaded carries, sled work, etc.).  Will also continue regular KB work, although at a slightly reduced capacity...averaging 1500+ per day has required two interval sessions of swings each day, along with sets of swings done between work sets in the gym.  Awesome for conditioning, but JFC, did it ever make my gym sessions drag out longer.

Aside from improving my performance in Strongman, I'm hoping that by April next year, I can clear 405 on bench press, 275 OHP, 550 squat, and around 625 deadlift, ideally with my BW down to around 220 (currently at roughly 235).  But regardless, seeing the ratios of bodyweight:1RM for the main lifts from this time last year, to now, is incredibly validating, even if I can feel some twinges of what seems like body dysmorphia starting to manifest.

It's nice, having reached a point where I can say with absolute certainty, that I'm stronger than I've ever been before, and feel like I still have plenty of time/room for growth.  Especially since jumping onto the "TRT+" train - my levels were never low enough for my doctor (and insurance) to approve it, but they also weren't optimal, and aside from some elevated hemoglobin values (mitigated by donating blood every eight weeks), my blood work has improved across the board since starting, and I'm relatively certain that I'm feeling some improvements in recovery and training capacity, even at 160mg/week (microdosed at 40mg 4x/wk to limit aromatization to mitigate the need for an AI).

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

@GoldenTongue

Good to see you again. 

Just keep an eye on your psa levels while on as well as your lfts.

My macro cycle right now is going to be hard to gauge as it’s mostly a visual thing as opposed to performance or measurements. So my focus will be entirely on increasing my tut to drive hypertrophy but keeping my nutrition in a range to prevent too much fat increase. It’s that real fine line I have to walk.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Leg presses and zerchers maybe? Tends to be safer for the lower back.

No idea what a zercher is and this seems like the wrong conditions under which to learn a new lift. Plus I was done with my cardio by the time you posted this. :p

A short hot soak in the bathtub post-cardio seems to have helped a bit so hopefully it's resolved itself by tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

No idea what a zercher is and this seems like the wrong conditions under which to learn a new lift. Plus I was done with my cardio by the time you posted this. :p

A short hot soak in the bathtub post-cardio seems to have helped a bit so hopefully it's resolved itself by tomorrow.

I have multiple herniated discs so I keep to high rep leg presses, goblets and zerchers for my quads. Zerchers SUCK but it keeps the back straighter by default.