Anthony Fauci to retire by end of U.S. President Biden's term

virus-outbreak-fauci-32736.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The disease fighter says he’s plotting his departure and reflecting on how he wants to be remembered.

After more than five decades of federal service under seven presidents, Anthony Fauci says he’s leaving by the end of President Joe Biden’s term. In a wide-ranging interview with POLITICO, he spoke of his legacy, the hard truths about the country’s pandemic response and his desire to calm the politicization wracking the country.

“We’re in a pattern now. If somebody says, ‘You’ll leave when we don’t have Covid anymore,’ then I will be 105. I think we’re going to be living with this,” Biden’s chief medical adviser said when asked whether he is staying in his role out of a sense of obligation.

It's honestly crazy his resume and years of experience. You can hear Bush I mention him during the second presidential debate in 1988 for figures who could inspire the country:

BUSH: I think of Dr. Fauci. Probably never heard of him. You did, Ann heard of him. He’s a very fine research, top doctor, at the National Institute of Health, working hard doing something about research on this disease of AIDS. 

The "Probably never heard of him" is totally understandable at that time but funny to read now.

32 minutes ago, ort said:

It's really pathetic how the right tried to turn him into a villain.

The right wing response to the entire pandemic was completely pathetic and disgusting.

He was a left wing villain for the HIV/AIDS crisis for decades

How the turntables

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He was a left wing villain for the HIV/AIDS crisis for decades

How the turntables

I'm going to have to assume that they are not similar at all. Show me some examples of sensationalized villainization of him from the other side that even amounts to 1% of the bullshit he put up with from the right wing media over the last few years.

37 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm going to have to assume that they are not similar at all. Show me some examples of sensationalized villainization of him from the other side that even amounts to 1% of the bullshit he put up with from the right wing media over the last few years.

You really aren’t familiar with how hated Fauci was? Even in the early days of the Trump Covid response, this was brought up a lot until the right started hating on him.

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You really aren’t familiar with how hated Fauci was? Even in the early days of the Trump Covid response, this was brought up a lot until the right started hating on him.

No, not really. All I'm familiar with is the right calling for him to be tried as a criminal, posting endless articles about him full of vague scary sounding half-truths and then an endless stream of thousands of people in Fox News comments/social media calling for him to be locked up and/or executed.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Are you sure you’re not talking about Redfield? I remember HIM getting a lot of shit from people on the left.

42 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Are you sure you’re not talking about Redfield? I remember HIM getting a lot of shit from people on the left.

Nope. Fauci was a major part of the Reagan era initial bungling of the HIV/AIDS epidemic when it was the “gay plague”. The detractors tend to forget that he was eventually one of the biggest supporters of HIV/AIDS research and is instrumental in the modern ability to control HIV.

But he has long been a “blood on his hands” target of the left. Maybe they have become more reasonable in light of the over the top negative reaction by the right to Covid Fauci?

33 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nope. Fauci was a major part of the Reagan era initial bungling of the HIV/AIDS epidemic when it was the “gay plague”. The detractors tend to forget that he was eventually one of the biggest supporters of HIV/AIDS research and is instrumental in the modern ability to control HIV.

But he has long been a “blood on his hands” target of the left. Maybe they have become more reasonable in light of the over the top negative reaction by the right to Covid Fauci?

I feel like the difference here might be the whole making him a household name and attaching conspiracies like he created the virus to him and stuff.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I feel like the difference here might be the whole making him a household name and attaching conspiracies like he created the virus to him and stuff.

I don’t think the situations are equivalent, it is just amusing that a man who was a villain became sainted due to becoming a villain to the opposing side :p 

I don’t think Fauci got a fair assessment for either the HIV/AIDS situation or the Covid situation even if the reasons for the unfair assessments are practically on other sides of the planet

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think the situations are equivalent, it is just amusing that a man who was a villain became sainted due to becoming a villain to the opposing side :p 

I don’t think Fauci got a fair assessment for either the HIV/AIDS situation or the Covid situation even if the reasons for the unfair assessments are practically on other sides of the planet

That hatchet was buried in the 80s when he very publicly spoke out against the Reagan administration and then spent a lot of time, energy, and money on AIDS research. He was already getting apologies from left-wing activists and being invited to speak at their conferences by '89. Even then, nobody on the left was making him a household name.

2TWQLZUZJEI6VLLZ5334242GIE.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Fauci, now under attack by some Trump supporters for his response to the coronavirus pandemic, was targeted by AIDS activists during a raucous 1990 protest at the National Institutes of Health

I know there were a TON of smooth brain, both sides articles comparing the reaction the left had to Fauci in the '80s and the right to Fauci in the '20s, but they aren't at all comparable. Once Fauci was able to, he immediately started working with the same people that were most critical of him and had won them over right away. There is no winning over the right for him. He'll forever be some right-wing boogie man surrounded by crazy conspiracy theories.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Sorry bro but Google just isn't supporting you here. Closest it came is brief agitators to fast friends but even if it were worse than that, support for gay rights wasn't a thing the left wanted any part of for at least another thirty years.

9 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Sorry bro but Google just isn't supporting you here. Closest it came is brief agitators to fast friends but even if it were worse than that, support for gay rights wasn't a thing the left wanted any part of for at least another thirty years.

There were literally “Fauci can’t be trusted because look at how he botched HIV/AIDS” op-eds in the Times during March 2020. It is actually the only reason I know about Fauci and his role during that time! 

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There were literally “Fauci can’t be trusted because look at how he botched HIV/AIDS” op-eds in the Times during March 2020. It is actually the only reason I know about Fauci and his role during that time! 

Like I said, there were stupid both sides articles about this. I wouldn't at all be shocked the idiocy came from the Times. It's nothing more than brain dead centrists who continuously minimize the craziness of the right by amplifying left-wing slights to make them appear equal. They aren't.

Reagan's handling of the AIDS epidemic was atrocious. Fauci got some of the blame by some activists who knew who he was. He wasn't exactly a household name at the time. The moment Fauci actually found himself with a budget he could manage, he invited those same activists in to help him shape policy and direct money to promising AIDS research. Those people that didn't like him made a 180 and were then inviting him too speak at ACT UP events the very next year.

That some moron the Times gave volume to decided to call Fauci a left-wing foil until the right turned on him is ignoring the fact that his most vocal critics were praising his work the moment he was free to help them. This all happened in the 80s, so there's no excuse that op-ed writer had pretend this was all new.

Absolute centrism is brain worms among journalists and so called intellectuals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Like I said, there were stupid both sides articles about this. I wouldn't at all be shocked the idiocy came from the Times. It's nothing more than brain dead centrists who continuously minimize the craziness of the right by amplifying left-wing slights to make them appear equal. They aren't.

Reagan's handling of the AIDS epidemic was atrocious. Fauci got some of the blame by some activists who knew who he was. He wasn't exactly a household name at the time. There moment Fauci actually found himself with a budget he could manage, he invited those same activists in to help him shape policy and direct money to promising AIDS research. Those people that didn't like him made a 180 and we're then inviting him too speak at ACT UP events the very next year.

That some moron the Times gave volume to decided to call Fauci a left-wing foil until the right turned on him is ignoring the fact that his most vocal critics were praising his work the moment he was free to help them. This all happened in the 80s, so there's no excuse to that op-ed writer had pretend to pretend this was a new opinion.

Absolute centrism is brain worms among journalists and so called intellectuals.

This is a really narrow view. There are people who came to appreciate Fauci quickly, so who took until the late 80s, and people who have never forgave him. It wasn’t “both sides” stuff, it was people who suffered the failures of Fauci’s early HIV/AIDS response and never got over it. Maybe that isn’t fair, but I’m not a person who saw dozens of their friends perish while Fauci was giving faulty guidance, so probably easier for me to accept his sorrow as sincere given his later reversal.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is a really narrow view. There are people who came to appreciate Fauci quickly, so who took until the late 80s, and people who have never forgave him. It wasn’t “both sides” stuff, it was people who suffered the failures of Fauci’s early HIV/AIDS response and never got over it. Maybe that isn’t fair, but I’m not a person who saw dozens of their friends perish while Fauci was giving faulty guidance, so probably easier for me to accept his sorrow as sincere given his later reversal.

Anyone that didn't see it was obviously Reagan who crippled the AIDS response is crazy. What could Fauci do with no budget? The moment he was given an actual budget he could control, he threw more at AIDS that any one else on Earth at the time. Like, yeah, I'm sure there are people still upset with Fauci from back then, but there are also people mad at Carl Sagan for convincing people the world isn't flat. Nobody takes these people seriously and only brain dead centrists like the NYT would ever give them equal standing.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyone that didn't see it was obviously Reagan who crippled the AIDS response is crazy. What could Fauci do with no budget? The moment he was given an actual budget he could control, he threw more at AIDS that any one else on Earth at the time. Like, yeah, I'm sure there are people still upset with Fauci from back then, but there are also people mad at Carl Sagan for convincing people the world isn't flat. Nobody takes these people seriously and only brain dead centrists like the NYT would ever give them equal standing.

I AM NOT MAD AT FAUCI