If you have a hobby, how seriously do you take it?

gamer.tv

I have hobbies that are there for fun like reading, which is just for me, watching movies, same.

Those I take more seriously like gaming, which I like to invest in, read about and talk about, but not to a competitive level.

Then I have rugby, which when I’m fit, I do strength work, lots of running, go training, play on a Saturday afternoon and eat in a particular way, with it in mind. I’d say I take it seriously, not to the point where it consumes me, but enough that it will govern choices I make in my week.

Do you have anything by like this? 

Gaming = life long hobby: 7/10 on the serious scale (effects time and budget)

Fitness = life long monkey on my back: 9/10 (effects schedule, emotions, takes focus from other responsibilities and hobbies) 

Self Education = Life long "C" student: 8/10 (time, and the occasional minor physical or financial wound because I think I understand a principle well enough to apply/manage and am proven wrong!) 

I took martial arts very seriously for like 10 years. Then Covid hit, I fell off the proverbial treadmill of my routine and now I can't wrap my head around how much time and energy that took. I've had like three false starts trying to get back into Muay Thai and boxing. 

Watching movies and playing video games use to be everything for me. Then I was without a receiver for 9 months and my movie watching dwindled to almost nothing. Have a replacement rental receiver for now and have only used twice in the past 2-3 weeks since I got it. Besides that I guess my marijuana growing is my main hobby now. It’s my zen garden, seeing my plants grow everyday, documenting in my growdiaries account (EhCndGrower) I like smoking it too (no duh) but I love when I’m able to share/give to family/neighbours/friends or friends of friends who need it for someone else. I get joy/euphoric high knowing my stuff is helping someone else out for the better. Grew a CBD strain (Dr. Seedsman 30:1 CBD) and my cousin got some for a friend for their dad and his brain tumour battle. After smoking the CBD strain for a while, they noticed that his tumour had actually started to shrink. They now have someone else for supply to help but coming from a cancer riddled family history, that felt real good. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

For me a hobby is something that I occasionally enjoy doing like watching movies/shows, playing Second Life, posting on message forums, etc. But then I also have what I consider life interests which are things that I couldn’t imagine life without such as music, and video games. Hobbies are things that I could realistically do without, but life interests are part of what I live for and are very important to me.

• True 1

During the pandemic, I started collecting the Mario Lego sets. I've been going at it pretty hard. Going to ebay or Amazon to make sure I get the discontinued sets, bonus gift packs and every character from the character packs. ('Mystery' bags are some BS). They've been releasing new waves of the lego sets, a couple of times a year. The Peach sets drop August 1st, but I'm probably going to have to back off it. It has been awfully expensive hobby and I'll need to put some money into the house we're fixing to move to.

It's been fun, though, even if the boxes do just sit at the top of my closet.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:46 PM, Phaseknox said:

For me a hobby is something that I occasionally enjoy doing like watching movies/shows, playing Second Life, posting on message forums, etc. But then I also have what I consider life interests which are things that I couldn’t imagine life without such as music, and video games. Hobbies are things that I could realistically do without, but life interests are part of what I live for and are very important to me.

I think I’m p much the same way yeah.

My big 3 are in order of importance

Lifting: Everything else in the world gets put on hold on my lift days. I take a rest week about 8-12 weeks for a full week.

Games: Mostly competitive , Strive or Tekken and a whole lot of MTGA

Films: This one has been my least active, often times #2 gets in the way. I try to set aside 2-3 nights a month for something I haven't seen. 

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

My big 3 are in order of importance

Lifting: Everything else in the world gets put on hold on my lift days. I take a rest week about 8-12 weeks for a full week.

Games: Mostly competitive , Strive or Tekken and a whole lot of MTGA

Films: This one has been my least active, often times #2 gets in the way. I try to set aside 2-3 nights a month for something I haven't seen. 

I'm just curious, what’s your drive for weight training? I run because it means that when I play rugby, I can play it the way I like to (involved a lot defensively, can help in attack, can push harder than most of the other people on the pitch which makes me feel like I’m playing well/a good player). 

At various times I've been mainly into reading, video games, hiking, and running, but those tend to go in waves, rather than a constant focus, and were rarely things that I was hyper focused on even at their peaks. I've invested a fair amount of money and time into all of them, but I don't know that they were necessarily driving forces in my life. 

One driving force, however, was learning German. I invested thousands of dollars and 10 years of my life into that, so I guess that counts. :p 

6 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I'm just curious, what’s your drive for weight training? I run because it means that when I play rugby, I can play it the way I like to (involved a lot defensively, can help in attack, can push harder than most of the other people on the pitch which makes me feel like I’m playing well/a good player). 

Ego is a lot of it. My last job was very testosterone heavy and being bigger and stronger then guys half my age(I am in my 40's) was nice. Lots folks also see Asian men as weak and I guess this is my reaction to that in a sense.