Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

Now I’ve gotten the hang of Synergy abilities and the quick moves.

My ONLY complaint is the notches that tell you how many ATB moves you need from each character are a little hard to see at times so I struggle to tell if I need four or five sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

If you're not at the very beginning of chapter 10, and focus exclusively on just railroading that story, I think you can do it.

Nice. I'm at least halfway through chapter 10. Right now the plot completely dropped. Nothing is going on so I'm a bit bored right now. 

Fuck I'm bored to tears in chapter 10. It's like they completely dropped everything about the game to explore nonsense in XII homeland. This better pickup fast or this is another FF16. Jesus I'm tired of games starting out amazing then slowly getting boring and uneventful. 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Fuck I'm bored to tears in chapter 10. It's like they completely dropped everything about the game to explore nonsense in XII homeland. This better pickup fast or this is another FF16. Jesus I'm tired of games starting out amazing then slowly getting boring and uneventful. 

Honestly Best, I think you just need to take a break. You blew through the previous game right before this one which is a lot of FF. Chapter 10 is not slow and all of its pretty relevant. I think rather than just forcing yourself to finish through it, you should take a break for a little while and come back to later when you can enjoy it more.

42 minutes ago, legend said:

Honestly Best, I think you just need to take a break. You blew through the previous game right before this one which is a lot of FF. Chapter 10 is not slow and all of its pretty relevant. I think rather than just forcing yourself to finish through it, you should take a break for a little while and come back to later when you can enjoy it more.

You might be right. I'm really bored when I'm playing it and it has to be FF fatigue. I'm forcing myself to play it so that it's beat before Friday. I know this game is good but I think I'm burnt out. Maybe I'll take a break from this until after DD2. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You might be right. I'm really bored when I'm playing it and it has to be FF fatigue. I'm forcing myself to play it so that it's beat before Friday. I know this game is good but I think I'm burnt out. Maybe I'll take a break from this until after DD2. 

I find that feeling like you have to finish a game before you start another game will immediately drop my enjoyment of the game I'm playing (and trying to finish). I was pretty close to the end of Persona 3 Reload when Rebirth came out, but I didn't want to ruin the ending by forcing myself to rush through, so I just put it on hold and started Rebirth. Feels much better. The game will be there when you feel ready, and I know I'll enjoy finishing P3R much more after I'm done with Rebirth and can give it proper breathing room.

So yeah, I think coupling that with just a lot of FF you've been playing lately probably means you need a break! The game will wait for you :) 

• Halal 1

I hit the point of no return. My understanding is it's another 4-7 hours or so from there. But I imagine it's going to be a roller coaster which means I'd prefer to play it all in one go.

Unfortunately, it's hard to dedicate that much time during the weekdays. So I may have to put this pause until the weekend when I can really enjoy it :( 

• Sad 2
  • Halal 1

I'm officially putting this game on hold. 

I'm going to finish FF16 and then dive deep into DD2. In fact when I do go back to Rebirth ill most likely start over fresh. So it won't be anytime soon. This saddens me lol. 

1 minute ago, legend said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Because I have a mental condition that makes me forget almost everything within days/weeks. Especially stories from movies and games. It happened when my twin brother died in 2017 and slowly after I developed a condition in my brain to block out almost everything in its entirety. There is nothing that can be done as I'm just dead weight at this point.

That situation traumatized me more than anything ever in my life or anything that could ever happen in my life if he never died. Most people do not understand the amount of pain and devastation there is when you lose not just a brother but an IDENTICAL twin brother who you were attached to for 35 years. Our souls were connected and the amount of love that is involved with twins is beyond comprehension.

For instance if I just lost my biological sister in 2017, I'd be completely fine now and over everything. With an identical twin who is basically you in another form, it's life shattering. That's why I am beyond screwed up and have many issues that current therapy is trying to help but it's suicidal type pain daily. 

So yea, I start over games all the time because of this. I litteraly cannot remember last week at all and I'm not even remotely exaggerating. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Because I have a mental condition that makes me forget almost everything within days/weeks. Especially stories from movies and games. It happened when my twin brother died in 2017 and slowly after I developed a condition in my brain to block out almost everything in its entirety. There is nothing that can be done as I'm just dead weight at this point.

That situation traumatized me more than anything ever in my life or anything that could ever happen in my life if he never died. Most people do not understand the amount of pain and devastation there is when you lose not just a brother but an IDENTICAL twin brother who you were attached to for 35 years. Our souls were connected and the amount of love that is involved with twins is beyond comprehension.

For instance if I just lost my biological sister in 2017, I'd be completely fine now and over everything. With an identical twin who is basically you in another form, it's life shattering. That's why I am beyond screwed up and have many issues that current therapy is trying to help but it's suicidal type pain daily. 

So yea, I start over games all the time because of this. I litteraly cannot remember last week at all and I'm not even remotely exaggerating. 

Sorry to hear that :( I hope it will be enjoyable from the start then!

• Hugs 1

On 3/18/2024 at 12:05 PM, best3444 said:

@Xbob42 @BloodyHell

I'm on chapter 10. If I play 8 more hours just focusing on the main quest, would I beat it by then? It reads I'm 20 hours in. 

Dude, no Idea. It took me 110 hours, I wasn’t paying attention to how long the story took. You’d also be missing out on fantastic side stories. 8 hours of just story won’t get you there though, I think. Every chaper is pretty damn long.

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude, no Idea. It took me 110 hours, I wasn’t paying attention to how long the story took. You’d also be missing out on fantastic side stories. 8 hours of just story won’t get you there though, I think. Every chaper is pretty damn long.

Well you missed my other posts. I'm postponing my time with this game because of DD2 on Friday. 

Rebirth is a great game and I need to be sure I'm ready to give it my full attention and time. 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Just wait until you get to the chicken side quest in the next 2-3 chapters :p 

There’s so many fun things with Rude that they expanded on in these two games. I love that they confirmed his crush on Tifa in the last game when he jerks the helicopter so that Reno’s aim would be off when he’s about to shoot at Tifa during the Sector 7 plate collapse scene.

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

There’s so many fun things with Rude that they expanded on in these two games. I love that they confirmed his crush on Tifa in the last game when he jerks the helicopter so that Reno’s aim would be off when he’s about to shoot at Tifa during the Sector 7 plate collapse scene.

I should clarify that the chicken quest doesn't involve Rude, it's just funny AF. My jaw actually dropped :p 

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I should clarify that the chicken quest doesn't involve Rude, it's just funny AF. My jaw actually dropped :p 

Oh, well, regardless, this game has humor down in spades.

• True 1

I'd still be careful on posting even mild spoilers for now. The Rude thing isn't a huge deal, but I'm trying to avoid anything story-related.

I'm finished with the side stuff in the Junon area. One thing I thought was interesting was 

Spoiler

I thought I recognized the "King" in the Condor side quests, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Once that final cutscene plays with the Clash on the Big Bridge, it hit me. I never played 5 front to back or his boss battle in 12, so I only modestly know about Gilgamesh.

Also, the piano side thing is actually kind of fun! And it provides a really beautiful version of classic tunes, as well.

• True 2

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd still be careful on posting even mild spoilers for now. The Rude thing isn't a huge deal, but I'm trying to avoid anything story-related.

I'm finished with the side stuff in the Junon area. One thing I thought was interesting was 

Hide contents

I thought I recognized the "King" in the Condor side quests, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Once that final cutscene plays with the Clash on the Big Bridge, it hit me. I never played 5 front to back or his boss battle in 12, so I only modestly know about Gilgamesh.

Also, the piano side thing is actually kind of fun! And it provides a really beautiful version of classic tunes, as well.

Shit, that’s my bad. I was operating under the mindset that everyone is chapters ahead of me and I forgot you were behind me.

54 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Shit, that’s my bad. I was operating under the mindset that everyone is chapters ahead of me and I forgot you were behind me.

I'm probably the most behind. :p 

Although I DID get to the part you're at today! I finished finding all the 

Spoiler

infantry units for the parade and just "stole the show."

So maybe I'm caught up with you.

I guess a patch dropped that added a few more graphic options

WWW.JP.SQUARE-ENIX.COM

本日よりアップデートファイル(Version1.020)を配信いたします。 本アップデートには、いくつかの不具合の修正と機能向上が含まれております。可能な限り、最新のアップデートを適用いただき『FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH』をお楽しみください。 アップデートに含まれる内容は以…

• Improved frame rate and overall game stability.
  • Added "Sharp" and "Soft" options to the performance mode screen output settings.
  • Improved graphics quality

Edit: English patch notes

Spoiler
WWW.SQUARE-ENIX-GAMES.COM

Welcome to the official SQUARE ENIX website. Find all the latest news and updates about your favourite games and upcoming releases.