Star Trek - Strange New Worlds - Season 01 starts airing

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Sounds like it will also be a return to the classic, exploration Trek that some have been asking for. It struck me when hearing this news that it's the first show that I look at and think it has the potential to have a full 7 seasons like older Treks. With this series they may be forced to give Pike a fuller ending than the Menagerie gave him. Nothing in that ending precludes the idea that sometime in the future the Federation might have had the technology to cure him.

51 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Very cool. That character and crew were the only interesting thing I saw in Discovery s2

I wouldn't go that far, I enjoyed some of Discovery s2, but Pike was the best part about it and it wasn't close.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Fuck yeah! :sun:

anson mount gifs | Tumblr

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Sounds like it will also be a return to the classic, exploration Trek that some have been asking for. It struck me when hearing this news that it's the first show that I look at and think it has the potential to have a full 7 seasons like older Treks. With this series they may be forced to give Pike a fuller ending than the Menagerie gave him. Nothing in that ending precludes the idea that sometime in the future the Federation might have had the technology to cure him.

I guess Discovery season 2 ends with enough time left before TOS starts (assuming they'd pick it up from where we left Pike and crew in DIS season 2) that it's possible but jesus christ are they cutting it close with butting things up against TOS if they go for a full 7 seasons. That was my immediate gripe when I found out when DIS was going to be set, and while I want to see more of Mount's Pike, it still kind of concerns me.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I guess Discovery season 2 ends with enough time left before TOS starts (assuming they'd pick it up from where we left Pike and crew in DIS season 2) that it's possible but jesus christ are they cutting it close with butting things up against TOS if they go for a full 7 seasons. That was my immediate gripe when I found out when DIS was going to be set, and while I want to see more of Mount's Pike, it still kind of concerns me.

It's set a decade before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.

22 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

It's set a decade before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.

Discovery started 10 years before TOS but they've already burned through something like 3 years with all the time jumps.

they are saying all the right things in this article, please don't screw this up

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-spock-pike-episodic-1234608181/

“We’re going to try to harken back to some classical ‘Trek’ values, to be optimistic, and to be more episodic,” Goldsman tell Variety. “Obviously, we will take advantage of the serialized nature of character and story building. But I think our plots will be more closed-ended than you’ve seen in either ‘Discovery’ or ‘Picard.'”

“I imagine it to be closer to the original series than even ‘DS9,'” Goldsman says of “Strange New Worlds.” “We can really tell closed-ended stories. We can find ourselves in episodes that are tonally of a piece.” Of the type of episode that “Strange New Worlds” might attempt that “Discovery” or “Picard” might not, Goldsman says, “It’s hard to do a shore-leave episode in the middle of a long, serialized arc.”

But episodes won’t be quite so contained as, say, “The City on the Edge of Forever,” the classic original-series installment in which William Shatner’s Kirk and Leonard Nimoy’s Spock meet Edith Keeler, a brilliant social worker played by Joan Collins whom history has fated to die young.

“I think one thing that we always struggled with [as fans] was that Kirk is heartbroken at the loss of Edith Keeler in ‘The City on the Edge of Forever’ and has to be just fine the next week,” Goldsman says. “I think what we would want to do is keep the characters having moved through and recognizing the experiences they’ve had in previous episodes, but to be able to tell contained, episodic stories.

• 1 year later...

I've been tentatively optimistic about this, but it doesn't inspire much confidence that they couldn't help themselves on casting a new Kirk before the show has even launched.

Paul-Wesley-james-kirk-Strange-New-World
VARIETY.COM

"Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" has cast Paul Wesley in the role of James T. Kirk for the Paramount Plus show's upcoming second season

• GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Star Trek - Strange New Worlds - Season 01 starts airing

Anybody watch this yet? I was disappointed to hear about this show initially in terms of it going back in time and exploring characters we're already familiar with instead of, you know, boldly going where no storyline has gone before. And the first episode was disappointing in the sense that not only are we retreading old characters but we're retreading tried and admittedly true storylines. Let's change an away team's physiology. Let's talk about how much humanity sucks in the 21st century. Let's mix that with some prime directive confliction stuff. Meh

But other than that I thought it was pretty sleek and a good intro to the show. I'll keep watching.

Still not as good as TNG and nothing ever will be.

I thought episode 1 was excellent.

I am someone who has absolutely hated the nearly 20 year trend since 2000 and Enterprise that almost obsessively tried to "go back to Kirk". Disliked Enterprise when they tried to make Archer into Kirk and thought it got so much better when they moved away from that. Disliked the reboot movies. Disliked that Disco was set in Kirk's time.

But I guess I have softened a bit on that now that we finally have shows exploring the post TNG/DS9/Voy 24th century with Picard, Prodigy, and Lower Decks. More forgivable when it's not the only Trek going.

I won't give a full review of the episode but one thing that stood out to me is that I thought they did an excellent job of weaving together Pike's in story struggle with what fans might find as a drawback to the show.

How do you have a series where you know from ep 1 that the main character has an appointment with death(or in Pike's case, almost a living death)?

The conclusion he came to was pretty straightforward, but I thought the way he got there was really well done and heartfelt and they presented it well as a revelation the character needed to have without getting meta that they were also talking to fans.

This was good. Let's see how the rest of the season goes, PIC S2 episodes 1 and 2 were also very good and...yeah. Mount was apparently a Trekkie before he got cast as Pike in DIS so I've been tentatively hopeful that he'll use his position as the lead to at least push back against the worst impulses of the current head honchos.

Could do without Drummer being a Noonien Singh though. At least the Kirk casting news was a semi-fakeout I guess, but it still feeds into that impulse to make the in-show universe feel small in a Star Wars way by having random siblings you never knew about just conveniently pop up.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

This was good. Let's see how the rest of the season goes, PIC S2 episodes 1 and 2 were also very good and...yeah. Mount was apparently a Trekkie before he got cast as Pike in DIS so I've been tentatively hopeful that he'll use his position as the lead to at least push back against the worst impulses of the current head honchos.

Yeah, Mount is one of the few people cast from all the series that sounds like he is/was a genuine Trekkie before he ever thought of being on one of the shows.

Like, other actors would say, "I went back and watched such and such to understand the character..." whereas Mount could just quote stuff on the spot if you started talking about something that happened in another series.

The thing people need to keep in mind about SNW is that everyone was really clamoring for an episodic Trek. Problem with that is when you only have 10 episodes a few stinkers will have an outsized feeling effect on the season. I doubt there is a season of Trek even at it's best out there that doesn't have at least 3-5 stinkers to it's name. Didn't matter quite as much when the seasons were 26 episodes. They can't all be The Inner Light and Pale Moonlight.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:26 PM, Chairslinger said:

The thing people need to keep in mind about SNW is that everyone was really clamoring for an episodic Trek. Problem with that is when you only have 10 episodes a few stinkers will have an outsized feeling effect on the season. I doubt there is a season of Trek even at it's best out there that doesn't have at least 3-5 stinkers to it's name. Didn't matter quite as much when the seasons were 26 episodes. They can't all be The Inner Light and Pale Moonlight.

The popular thing these days is to split a "season" split in two or even three. Might as well split each episode into it's own part for an episodic series. I really liked seasoned 2, part 6, episode 1 but season 2, part 4, episode 1 was awful :silly:

I liked it a lot except for new treks obsession with name dropping and everyone being connected. Did we really need a Kirk and a Nooneign Singh, exploring a descendant of the original augments is fine just make their ancestor one of the hundreds or thousands of augments that we don't know about. Kirk is just going to end up killed by flying amoeba pancake in a few years too.

15 hours ago, elbobo said:

I liked it a lot except for new treks obsession with name dropping and everyone being connected. Did we really need a Kirk and a Nooneign Singh, exploring a descendant of an the original augments is fine just make their ancestor one of the hundreds or thousands of augments that we don't know about. Kirk is just end killed by flying amoeba pancake in a few years too.

Yeah it makes the universe feel too small when they do this. Same thing when they do mirror universe stuff that has everyone of the cast and only everyone on the cast in the mirror universe. 

I get that hiring an entirely different cast for 1-2 episodes is a hassle and expensive. But they do it so often and other than “destiny” it doesn’t make sense. 

and then if the answer is “destiny”, then time travel episodes don’t matter. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 1:51 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Anybody watch this yet? I was disappointed to hear about this show initially in terms of it going back in time and exploring characters we're already familiar with instead of, you know, boldly going where no storyline has gone before. And the first episode was disappointing in the sense that not only are we retreading old characters but we're retreading tried and admittedly true storylines. Let's change an away team's physiology. Let's talk about how much humanity sucks in the 21st century. Let's mix that with some prime directive confliction stuff. Meh

But other than that I thought it was pretty sleek and a good intro to the show. I'll keep watching.

Still not as good as TNG and nothing ever will be.

I still don't think TNG is the best trek. It has a few of the best episodes of trek, but DS9 is a better show.

This show is incredible. Finally new trek I can get behind.

13 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I still don't think TNG is the best trek. It has a few of the best episodes of trek, but DS9 is a better show.

This show is incredible. Finally new trek I can get behind.

I really had to come around in regards to DS9. When it first aired I liked enough, but still preferred TNG. But I’ve since rewatched the series a couple more times. And something changes. Maybe I matured a bit, but I’ve definitely come around. 

I think it’s because of how ahead of it’s time the show was. Not that it was the only show that was formatted this way, but most shows on Tv at the time were episodic. Characters rarely changed or grew from season to season, let alone episode to episode. 

if I rewatch TNG I tend to just jump around to my favorite episodes. But when I rewatch DS9  I tend to watch nearly all of them, skipping just a few I don’t care for that also didn’t really move the plot or characters forward in any way. Like sex change Quark and obrian’s time traveling daughter, and the occasional mirror universe episode. 

Discovery has gotten better. I think season 4 is easily the best season of the series so far. It’s not as fun as SNW, but I did love the payoff for species 10C. I felt like they nailed it, unlike the season 3 reveal and climax. I thought season 4 was actually compelling sci-fi that while not perfect felt mostly well thought out. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I really had to come around in regards to DS9. When it first aired I liked enough, but still preferred TNG. But I’ve since rewatched the series a couple more times. And something changes. Maybe I matured a bit, but I’ve definitely come around. 

I think it’s because of how ahead of it’s time the show was. Not that it was the only show that was formatted this way, but most shows on Tv at the time were episodic. Characters rarely changed or grew from season to season, let alone episode to episode. 

if I rewatch TNG I tend to just jump around to my favorite episodes. But when I rewatch DS9  I tend to watch nearly all of them, skipping just a few I don’t care for that also didn’t really move the plot or characters forward in any way. Like sex change Quark and obrian’s time traveling daughter, and the occasional mirror universe episode. 

Discovery has gotten better. I think season 4 is easily the best season of the series so far. It’s not as fun as SNW, but I did love the payoff for species 10C. I felt like they nailed it, unlike the season 3 reveal and climax. I thought season 4 was actually compelling sci-fi that while not perfect felt mostly well thought out. 

My problem with Discovery right now is character development. We're going into s5, and I know more about the SNW bridge crew than I do about Discovery, but they flesh out the story of every peripheral character out there. I know almost nothing about the black girl on the bridge, I can't even remember her name, she's just attractive set dressing. Same with Detmer.

And the one really developed bridge character? Bye! We don't need you anymore, Tilly, lets have you leave the ship. 

And then to take Saru out of the captains seat didn't sit well with me. The end of S4 was good, but star trek is better in itself original episodic format, imo.