Canada apparently can't handle the snow

hamilton-blizzard.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Heavy snow is causing headaches for commuters across a huge swath of southern Ontario, with major highways temporarily closed in Toronto and Ottawa and police warning people to avoid unnecessary travel.

sukhi-sidhu.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Airport taxi driver Sukhi Sidhu says he hasn't moved an inch since getting stuck on Highway 401 at 7:15 a.m. ET. And he's not alone.

All of the major highways were closed at points today (DVP, Gardiner Expressway and 401).  Yes, North America's busiest highway was closed for much of the day.  For snow.  In fucking Canada.  @CitizenVectron Can we live this down?

Our Premier (Canadian version of Governor) was seen doing this:

FWIW, I dug several people's cars out of snow today.  Pro-Tip -- If you have a compact car with less than 8-inches of clearance, don't try and drive on an unplowed road with 14-inches of snow.

I literally dug one guy out this morning, pushed his car back on the plowed road, and he got stuck doing a 3-point turn back into the unplowed road.  Would I have been an asshole if I didn't dig him out a second time?

I got stuck at the top of my street this morning (7 am) going in to work. I tried to get through to no avail until I just backed up and floored it. I was 24 minutes late, but of course I phoned in to tell them I would be. I should have just called in like a lot of other people apparently did.

It's not just the preparedness and infrastructure but the geography. The places where the most wealthy Virginians live is absolutely treacherous with only the most minimal of snow and ice. Then if the bosses call out it all flows downhill from there. Drive down almost literally any Virginia Scenic Byway would make this obvious. 

I got called into work early because of the storm today. We had 3 cars stuck on my street (can see one in below pic) and probably +45cm on my driveway. So mom, my sister and I went out and shovelled my car out and even cleared a bit of the street to give me a chance. Let me just a moment here to thank the AWD Deep Snow Traction option on my Ford Escape, cause I got through it with ease. Slow day at work and some of the local stores stayed closed and the Tim Hortons was Drive-Thru Only. Thankfully my side street was cleared before I came home and barely any snowbank left by the plow too. 

spacer.png

• Shocked 1