Yellowjackets - Lost meets Lord of the Flies with a girls soccer team (Showtime)

TheLeon

59 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

ive been watching and its been pretty good.  Very Lost vibe but honestly cant see this gonig more than a couple seasons if it makes it.  like Lost the "past" is the more interesting part of the show for sure

I was thinking about what they could to run for a bunch of seasons if they wanted. It’s interesting that they set up in the first episode that the girls were rescued after 19 months. That gives them a good amount of time to tell stories from that era, but due to the setting I imagine those stories might get repetitive. In the modern day setting, we’re only following a couple of the survivors, and we don’t know how many others there are. The scope of the stories in that era could really expand, if that’s something they’ve planned for. 

23 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Watched the pilot last night and honestly I wasn't that intrigued. Does it get better?

Hard for me to say, since I dug it from the beginning. Maybe try one more. If you're not invested by that point you're probably safe to drop it. Like you said earlier - there's a lot good shows out there. No need to power through something you're not enjoying. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, TheLeon said:

Hard for me to say, since I dug it from the beginning. Maybe try one more. If you're not invested by that point you're probably safe to drop it. Like you said earlier - there's a lot good shows out there. No need to power through something you're not enjoying. 

I tried one more and thought the second episode was much better than the first. I kept going and now I'm all caught up. Curious to see where this is going.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just started watching it, watched the first six episodes. Enjoying it so far, even if I screamed at the kids for going into the cabin… why would you ever in a million years go into a random prepper cabin you find in the woods, you gonna die in there. Luckily they found the best case scenario and the guy was already dead. :p

Still feels like a million miles between where the team is right now and the Lord of the Flies shit from the pilot. The performances are almost all really good, Christina Ricci kills it every time she’s on screen and the actor who plays the younger Misty is incredible at playing that kind of weirdo.

I kept wondering if Tai was actually running for Senate because as far as the show is concerned she has no staff? She’s never in an office or anything? Is this a COVID thing? I find everything about her adult life arc “apart” from the main plot completely baffling. Her kid obviously needed to see a therapist, “spill” is the tamest possible thing she could have been graffiti’d with, etc.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I kept wondering if Tai was actually running for Senate because as far as the show is concerned she has no staff? She’s never in an office or anything? Is this a COVID thing? I find everything about her adult life arc “apart” from the main plot completely baffling. Her kid obviously needed to see a therapist, “spill” is the tamest possible thing she could have been graffiti’d with, etc.

She's running for State Senate i believe. Not actual senate.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

She's running for State Senate i believe. Not actual senate.

Fair point. But she should have AN intern! Or something! She’s making her own coffee at home and found out someone vandalized her house herself, not because some unpaid kit from Rutgers brought her a latte first thing in the morning? Cannibalism I can believe, that other shit is a bridge too far. :p

• True 1

Finished it yesterday, and I am happy Tai’s staff was finally revealed. :p Her stuff seems to be the weirdest on the show so far, I really have no idea what direction they want to go with her character. It feels like she flips between going from sympathetic to ruthless, smart to stupid all pretty regularly.

I also find everyone’s reactions to young Misty and Lottie kind of perplexing. Misty was super helpful right from jump, but she’s poisoned people twice now? I don’t get why she’s allowed to hang. Of all the people to get run out of the house the night it snowed, Misty seems like the most likely candidate. And some people going all in on Lottie’s “powers” feels kinda flimsy, but they gotta get to Lord of the Flies somehow I suppose. I can’t tell at this point if the show is actually going to have a supernatural component.

I feel bad for Jackie, what a horrible way to die.

I’m happy the show got picked up for a second season.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Finished it yesterday, and I am happy Tai’s staff was finally revealed. :p Her stuff seems to be the weirdest on the show so far, I really have no idea what direction they want to go with her character. It feels like she flips between going from sympathetic to ruthless, smart to stupid all pretty regularly.

I also find everyone’s reactions to young Misty and Lottie kind of perplexing. Misty was super helpful right from jump, but she’s poisoned people twice now? I don’t get why she’s allowed to hang. Of all the people to get run out of the house the night it snowed, Misty seems like the most likely candidate. And some people going all in on Lottie’s “powers” feels kinda flimsy, but they gotta get to Lord of the Flies somehow I suppose. I can’t tell at this point if the show is actually going to have a supernatural component.

I feel bad for Jackie, what a horrible way to die.

I’m happy the show got picked up for a second season.

I think they were willing to put up with Misty because of how helpful she was. Like ok you screwed with us but we don't have real survival skills so we'll let it go. The stuff where they all went crazy was weird but maybe they dont even remember much of it so they're not as mad? dunno i watched it the night the episode aired so I kinda forget. 

• Halal 1

• 4 months later...
Spoiler

I knew it was gonna be that predicting bitch, esp when she was the first to go psycho 

Awesome show! I want moar.

I feel disconnected with Juliette Lewis, she's an awesome actress but I'm not buying her as the older version of the kid. 

Also why would you crawl into a vent in your haunted Scooby Doo Jersey mansion, this isn't a 2017 condo built in Marina del Rey, some shit has gone down. 

I’m very excited for more Yellowjackets but given that this is showtime I’m very concerned about how it’s going to go.  

Spoiler

They’re already skirting the line with some really stupid shit, like police believing that a dude hung himself from a fully extended telehandler.  What, did he fully extend it, climb up the arm, tie a chain to the fork, then jump off?  Really?  

As long as it keeps it on the more entertaining side of stupid I’m game for some more, but the networks track record is not encouraging.  

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finished this on a weekend binge.

It's enjoyable but pretty dumb at times. That vent scene was a bit of an eye-roller. Not what was in there, just the discovery, which probably gets excused with Tai's sleepwalking.

Didn't even know Van survived until the S2 casting. I could have assumed given one of the last scenes since she seemed to be all-in. Also with the Lottie-reveal, I'm assuming the brunette who got hunted down in E01 was Mari. I see some random Yellowjackets in the casting so I hope it isn't one of those.

Christina Ricci is absolutely delightful as Misty. Sammi Hanratty is no slouch either. I'm thinking the rest of the team excused her poisoning since it was only meant for Ben, whose authority is getting more challenged, notably from Laura Lee and Lottie.

Looking forward to season 2. I'm pretty much all in on the 1996 plot.

How I rank the present day plots:

1. Anything with Misty

2. Nat's kidnapping and Lottie's involvment

3. What Van and other possible survivors have been up to. I think only 7 were in the cannibal scene. If that's the actual number of survivors, then Van would be the last one accounted for.

4. Tai and whatever happens with her fam and career.

5. Callie knowing her mom, and possibly dad, had something to do with Adam's disappearance.

45 minutes ago, 69los said:

Finished this on a weekend binge.

It's enjoyable but pretty dumb at times. That vent scene was a bit of an eye-roller. Not what was in there, just the discovery, which probably gets excused with Tai's sleepwalking.

Didn't even know Van survived until the S2 casting. I could have assumed given one of the last scenes since she seemed to be all-in. Also with the Lottie-reveal, I'm assuming the brunette who got hunted down in E01 was Mari. I see some random Yellowjackets in the casting so I hope it isn't one of those.

Christina Ricci is absolutely delightful as Misty. Sammi Hanratty is no slouch either. I'm thinking the rest of the team excused her poisoning since it was only meant for Ben, whose authority is getting more challenged, notably from Laura Lee and Lottie.

Looking forward to season 2. I'm pretty much all in on the 1996 plot.

How I rank the present day plots:

1. Anything with Misty

2. Nat's kidnapping and Lottie's involvment

3. What Van and other possible survivors have been up to. I think only 7 were in the cannibal scene. If that's the actual number of survivors, then Van would be the last one accounted for.

4. Tai and whatever happens with her fam and career.

5. Callie knowing her mom, and possibly dad, had something to do with Adam's disappearance.

At this point I don't remember the story I'm just in for some lesbian cannibalism 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...