Advanced Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Delayed Again until 🤷

Brian

I'm fully expecting this game to land with a wet thud. These are fantastic games, but I don't feel like Nintendo is going to pull this off. I'm worried there won't be enough new stuff in these for the old school die hards and the games won't be marketed well and or won't be exciting enough to bring in a new audience.

My hope is that they're building it in a way that will allow them to port the engine to mobile fairly easily... and/or make future games using the same engine.

• Brian changed the title to Advanced Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Delayed Again until 🤷
1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

Apparently the first Advance Wars released in the US the day before 9/11 which means that my internal calendar of what happened when is just fucked beyond belief.  

In that case, maybe they're worried about starting World War 3.

5 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Apparently the first Advance Wars released in the US the day before 9/11 which means that my internal calendar of what happened when is just fucked beyond belief.  

It sure was and I remember it very well. I bought it on September 10th and then drove into work the next day as the plane hit the pentagon about 3 miles from me. I'm a HUGE fan of the series and the two things are always strongly linked in my head.

This is so dumb I hate it when companies so obviously waffle and pander. The reason we got the clusterfuck that was Metal Gear solid 2 was that konami basically forced kojima to rewrite parts of it mid-production due to irl conflicts.

Meanwhile Death stranding was arguably enhanced and more impactful due to it launching just prior to a global pandemic that in some ways mirrored the game.

We're not children, let us decide what we do/don't want

7 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

This is so dumb I hate it when companies so obviously waffle and pander. The reason we got the clusterfuck that was Metal Gear solid 2 was that konami basically forced kojima to rewrite parts of it mid-production due to irl conflicts.

Meanwhile Death stranding was arguably enhanced and more impactful due to it launching just prior to a global pandemic that in some ways mirrored the game.

Optics are important. Nintendo considers themselves a family company.

13 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

MGS2 wasn't a clusterfuck at launch and since then all it's done is make Kojima look like a prophet.

Also the original ending had Arsenal Gear destroying a bunch of Manhattan, leaving that in the game slated to launch 2 months after September 11th would have been moronic.

52 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

MGS2 wasn't a clusterfuck at launch and since then all it's done is make Kojima look like a prophet.

Also the original ending had Arsenal Gear destroying a bunch of Manhattan, leaving that in the game slated to launch 2 months after September 11th would have been moronic.

I don't fully remember the ending but it didn't seem bad. I could see how the Arsenal Gear destroying a bunch of Manhattan would be cool but with the way the country was after 9/11 ya best to not stir the hornet's nest.

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I don't fully remember the ending but it didn't seem bad. I could see how the Arsenal Gear destroying a bunch of Manhattan would be cool but with the way the country was after 9/11 ya best to not stir the hornet's nest.

Arsenal Gear was also supposed to run into and displace the Statue of Liberty, Solidus was going to be draped in the American flag, etc. Given the timing of the release I get wanting to renege on some of that.

I think the other stuff DarkStark was referring to was the game originally going to deal with, in part, nuclear weapons and inspections in the Middle East. IIRC the tanker was initially en route to the Persian Gulf? I dunno that the change came from Konami or if it was Kojima not wanting to have a game mirror real life so closely.

I get this choice, but it also sucks.

But then again, I'm really not in a rush at all... because I'm not sure how much this game is going to really mean to me. I LOVE this series, but I actually play both of these games all the time (even today). So all this really is is a re-skin. I'm not sure how much it will hold my attention, especially since I've already played through both of these campaigns in the last few years.

Again, my true hope and dream is that they port this to mobile. That's really all I want. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, it's all I've wanted since the first time I touched a smartphone... put Advance Wars on this.

2 hours ago, ort said:

Again, my true hope and dream is that they port this to mobile. That's really all I want. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, it's all I've wanted since the first time I touched a smartphone... put Advance Wars on this.

It is so wild to me that they haven’t put out any Advance War game for mobile. Yes, a port/remake would be perfect, but I’m surprised they haven’t even tried some kind of F2P game, like the Fire Emblem one. Of all of Nintendo’s properties, it’s probably the one best suited to mobile. 

• True 1

8 hours ago, ort said:

6 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It is so wild to me that they haven’t put out any Advance War game for mobile. Yes, a port/remake would be perfect, but I’m surprised they haven’t even tried some kind of F2P game, like the Fire Emblem one. Of all of Nintendo’s properties, it’s probably the one best suited to mobile. 

Agreed on both points here. Besides maybe Puzzle League, this series one of the best - if not THE best - of Nintendo's IPs to work on mobile. But I suppose Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Mario Kart are way more popular, so we got what we got. 

As for the delay, I'm bummed about it...but I can understand the decision. Hopefully this terrible situation in Ukraine is resolved quickly.